Bobby Barr.

Blueblood

11 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Bobby was before my time but his brother was still about when I started supporting Town. I met Jack Haymer probably only a dozen or so times, but I'm sure he brought the Barr brothers into the conversation almost every time, he was really proud (and modest...) about that Northern Intermediate side. He even lent me a scrapbook once that covered that season in some detail.

My memory's not the best but I think I jotted down the following match details from that scrapbook, in a similar format to the Word files that Johnny Meynell used to send me, or maybe Johnny sent it to me and I'm misremembering.

Bobby made 29 appearances plus two sub appearances that title winning year, scoring 8 goals. What a side that must have been to watch, look at the clubs they beat to win it and the players that went on and had great careers.

image.png

Thanks for this! I was saving it using snipping tool when I realised I already had it as a Word document with additional stats. What a team! Phil Whitehead, Paul Fleming, Billy and Bobby, Jimmy and Paul Willis (nephews of Cilla Black no less!), Dean Martin, Lee Richardson and, of course, Wayne Allison. The stars aligned when Gerry Brook took this lot to the title!  Northern-Intermediate-league-with-stats.

Edited by Che Bentos
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Bobby was before my time but his brother was still about when I started supporting Town. I met Jack Haymer probably only a dozen or so times, but I'm sure he brought the Barr brothers into the conversation almost every time, he was really proud (and modest...) about that Northern Intermediate side. He even lent me a scrapbook once that covered that season in some detail.

My memory's not the best but I think I jotted down the following match details from that scrapbook, in a similar format to the Word files that Johnny Meynell used to send me, or maybe Johnny sent it to me and I'm misremembering.

Bobby made 29 appearances plus 2/3 sub appearances that title winning year, scoring 8 goals. What a side that must have been to watch, look at the clubs they beat to win it and the players that went on and had great careers.

image.png

Thanks for sharing this Hoddie. What a side that was put together there and an incredible achievement. To think that a number of those players went on to play at much higher levels, some for most of their careers. RIP Bobby, much too young. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Che Bentos said:

Thanks for this! I was saving it using snipping tool when I realised I already had it as a Word document with additional stats. What a team! Phil Whitehead, Paul Fleming, Billy and Bobby, Jimmy and Paul Willis (nephews of Cilla Black no less!), Dean Martin, Lee Richardson and, of course, Wayne Allison. The stars aligned when Gerry Brook took this lot to the title!  Northern-Intermediate-league-with-stats.

Think it was Scott Willis who was the nephew of Cilla and he played for us a few years later.

2 minutes ago, chadders said:

Think it was Scott Willis who was the nephew of Cilla and he played for us a few years later.

They were brothers I think. Scott's dad was the one involved, probably around 2000, in a consortium promising to get us to the championship in 5 years. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bubba said:

They were brothers I think. Scott's dad was the one involved, probably around 2000, in a consortium promising to get us to the championship in 5 years. 

We’ve had a few of them

46 minutes ago, eddie said:

We’ve had a few of them

Jimmy, Paul and Scott Willis were all brothers. Jimmy and Paul were at The Shay the same time as Bobby Barr. Jimmy had a good career with Darlington and Leicester City. Paul also had a spell at Darlington but sadly died ten years ago. Scott Willis came later and played under Chris Wilder in 2004-05.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andy S said:

Such sad sad news about Bobby. I had the pleasure of being his PE teacher at Catholic High. Together with many others, the Whiteheads, the Richardsons, the Megsons, and of course the Barrs what great lads to work with. Met Bobby on many occasions, and what a fine man he became, my condolences to his family and friends.

Jesus, I always assumed Gerry Brook was the hero of that period but it was the PE teacher all along!! That is some list of credits you have there. I was just reading this on Billy Barr earlier about his (and to a lesser extent Bobby's too) time with Town:

https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/sport/football/my-time-town-billy-barr-it-meant-everything-me-2876908

• Like 1