England Croatia

Nick

46 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

How the hell did a fan fall from the balcony onto the seating and concrete below, in a serious state apparently. Hope he is OK.

Going to hazard a guess and say beer is involved!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Thought Trippier got forward well but really didn't see the point of Walker

That peach of a ball through to Phillips completely unlocked Croatia for our goal and his pace was more than enough to neutralise the threat of Ivan Perisic. Defensively, it was a perfect performance. We made them look average. Attack wise, it wasn't raining chances for us and the tempo was hesitant going forward, but it was always going to be a cagey match against well-matched opponents and in the end, controlling the tempo at a slow pace worked out better for us.

Kalvin Phillips was reminiscent of Nicky Butt v Argentina in 2002. He makes me forget he plays for dirty Leeds, which is the highest compliment I can pay him.

The typical England thing today would have been a 1-1 draw but we actually got the win against a decent side. In these sorts of matches the result is all that counts. They've got me hoping.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, olitheshayman said:

That peach of a ball through to Phillips completely unlocked Croatia for our goal and his pace was more than enough to neutralise the threat of Ivan Perisic. Defensively, it was a perfect performance. We made them look average. Attack wise, it wasn't raining chances for us and the tempo was hesitant going forward, but it was always going to be a cagey match against well-matched opponents and in the end, controlling the tempo at a slow pace worked out better for us.

Kalvin Phillips was reminiscent of Nicky Butt v Argentina in 2002. He makes me forget he plays for dirty Leeds, which is the highest compliment I can pay him.

The typical England thing today would have been a 1-1 draw but we actually got the win against a decent side. In these sorts of matches the result is all that counts. They've got me hoping.

True to form I was late getting into my seat for the second half and managed to just miss the goal . Thought Croatia offered very little threat and aren't going to get far with Modric playing so deep

1 minute ago, Wilder Bollox said:

True to form I was late getting into my seat for the second half and managed to just miss the goal . Thought Croatia offered very little threat and aren't going to get far with Modric playing so deep

The goal was 12 minutes into the half. There's late then there's late 

We played well, but the opportunities to get forward and run at them, then decided to pass it sideways/backwards makes me think Woods would walk into this side!😉

Edited by woody
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Greggs said:

The goal was 12 minutes into the half. There's late then there's late 

Got to say, Ukraine were dead and buried having just conceded a second goal at one house only for me to arrive at the other house just in time for their equaliser . 

Dumfries now scores to make 3-2

2 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Got to say, Ukraine were dead and buried having just conceded a second goal at one house only for me to arrive at the other house just in time for their equaliser . 

Dumfries now scores to make 3-2

This has been a brilliant game. If the England game was cagey this has been anything but. 

5 hours ago, kit said:

Happy overall, but major worry about the "wing backs" who were completely devoid of attacking intent. Would be interested to know if they are told to play this way, or whether they choose to be individually ineffective.

I think they were told to play that way to make sure Croatia didn’t penetrate our defence as we had enough attacking prowess via midfield, particularly Phillips and Sterling, Kane was unlucky not to score.

52 minutes ago, olitheshayman said:

I also thought Bellingham played with intent and completely at ease on that stage. Both he and Phillips looked like they were playing club football, assured abs confident and the team played as a unit. Not easy to achieve considering the season everyone’s had. Credit to Southgate, all the staff & players for a great professional start.

Thought England looked ok yesterday, Croatia are a tough team. Some good decent performances across the board so no real complaints from me. My only concern, and it is a very slight concern is our current lack of goals. We talk about the attacking options that we have, and we do have some good ones, but recently we are not scoring, and ultimately that will cost us if it's not addressed. We do seem to have abandoned the wingers running at players and whipping crosses in, for this modern tippy tappy make a million passes then send it back to the keeper style of play that so many teams seem to want to play these days. Players still seem to frightened to actually take a shot. We have the players, and we know they can score goals, I just hope they start doing it some time soon.

P.S.:- I know we hate Leeds by Default, but Calvin Phillips was outstanding yesterday. Hope he can keep it up.

8 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Happy to see the kids being thrown into the mix. Southgate  has confidence in them even if I have never heard of Jude Bellingham.... 

to be fair to Gareth, I think he really does his homework on potential of players and nurtures the young talent. With his team of course. All good for England. 

It wasnt a classic but England played a really good game in closing down the opposition and were never really under any threat of conceding. Kane didnt get any kind of service so it was no surprise he was substituted. Personally I am not keen on playing with a single striker - OK there was Sterling and Foden but Id prefer a more conventional partnership leading the front line.

9 minutes ago, Bubba said:

It wasnt a classic but England played a really good game in closing down the opposition and were never really under any threat of conceding. Kane didnt get any kind of service so it was no surprise he was substituted. Personally I am not keen on playing with a single striker - OK there was Sterling and Foden but Id prefer a more conventional partnership leading the front line.

Like Shearer and Sherringham. Managed game well. England can change their ways …

6 minutes ago, Ladyluck said:

Like Shearer and Sherringham. Managed game well. England can change their ways …

Yeah. As Tommy says, we didnt really use the wings, so Id rather have a strike partnership and then either Sterling or Foden in a free role. I dont actually think we played with wing backs and when playing a back four, you cant really afford to.

The problem when it comes to tournament football is you dont really want to be chopping and changing and we really should have found our best system by now. It might be the current system and whilst I cant see us conceding many I also cant see us scoring many.