England Croatia

Nick

5 minutes ago, Greggs said:

We have stopped playing and just started passing for the sake of it. 

I don't trust this defense.

It’s hot. They’re playing European style. Walker is looking a bit slow and poor touch. Done okay overall. As long as we win, I don’t care. Croatia can be dangerous so doing okay. This will ebb and flow and not be a classic. It’s the result that will matter more than how we play per se.

5 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Agree .. still don’t understand we sometimes you don’t try and beat the man in front of you .. instead of passing it all the way back to your own keeper 

13 minutes ago, Nick said:

Agree .. still don’t understand we sometimes you don’t try and beat the man in front of you .. instead of passing it all the way back to your own keeper 

It’s like watching Fcht in that respect! It’s the modern way. They call it recycling the ball, don’t they? I’d rather go forward. maybe don’t teach ‘em how to beat their man anymore?! Sterling has the measure of his defender. Need to utilise that more and turn it into a goal.

25 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Me either particularly Mings. Looking to be running out of ideas. Get Grealish on for Sterling 

6 minutes ago, Lammie said:

Me either particularly Mings. Looking to be running out of ideas. Get Grealish on for Sterling 

Mings has been doing well I thought. All playing within themselves. Nowt wrong with that if not making errors. Take our chance when we can & catch them unawares.

Been a great 70 mins so far. England started strongly and could have got that early goal with the shot coming off the post, pressed well and dominated the game. After 20 mins or so the pace dropped, but it’s hot so it’s expected a little. We still managed to control the game though, no real clear cut chances for Croatia. HT, regroup, re-energise.

Second half we start strong again. A lovely bit of skill and movement from Kalvin Philips, and a lovely slotted pass through to Sterling. Great finish, 1-0. Keeping the pressure on, and Kane unlucky not to get the second straight after - that looked for all the world he was going to tap it in at the back post.

Got to keep strong in the last 20 mins, get another goal to instil a bit more calm in the game. I would like to see what Grealish can do in the game against a tired defence.

• Like 2

Only 1-0, but that was a very mature, assured performance from England, against a team that comprehensively beat us in the last World Cup semis. We dominated the whole game, even when we weren’t pushing forward in attack and pressing opposition players in possession. We were in complete control, and could have scored another couple of goals with a bit more luck. Croatia are not a poor side, and this is a good result. If we can keep up the intensity and performance levels through the next games we will do well.

Edited by riccardo259

Happy overall, but major worry about the "wing backs" who were completely devoid of attacking intent. Would be interested to know if they are told to play this way, or whether they choose to be individually ineffective.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kit said:

Happy overall, but major worry about the "wing backs" who were completely devoid of attacking intent. Would be interested to know if they are told to play this way, or whether they choose to be individually ineffective.

Thought we played a back 4 and not wing backs