27 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

A good youth setup can absolutely produce players. Several youth players made first team appearances in 97/98, didn't do us any harm. And the Northern Intermediate side from the 80s probably kept the club afloat with all the players it produced.

People talk about Premier League and Championship clubs taking all the best players. Well, duh, but we don't need Premier League quality players, we need Conference players.

Those conference players will be players released from clubs higher up the pyramid. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And Wayne Allinson wasn't the first player to enter Town's youth set-up. Sometimes things take time. If most clubs at this level and below can have several youth teams, so too can we. For the most par

If you want to be a community club .. then youth teams and team of all ages are part of it  1 we hope it leads to players coming into the first team  2.200 plus kids running around dreaming

In essence our Youth Team / Academy set up is of Football League standard even more so with the recently announced improvements / initiatives. The excellent work done over the years by Steve Nichol an

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

A good youth setup can absolutely produce players. Several youth players made first team appearances in 97/98, didn't do us any harm. And the Northern Intermediate side from the 80s probably kept the club afloat with all the players it produced.

People talk about Premier League and Championship clubs taking all the best players. Well, duh, but we don't need Premier League quality players, we need Conference players.

There were a few in 97/98 that made appearances, I remember Damien Place, Chris Newton and Griffiths? In truth though non of them were up to standard and soon disappeared.

31 minutes ago, greygoose said:

There were a few in 97/98 that made appearances, I remember Damien Place, Chris Newton and Griffiths? In truth though non of them were up to standard and soon disappeared.

Indeed, but my point is that it's possible to give youth players game time without it derailing your season, and 97/98 proves it. We should be looking to do the same now, let them experience match day, maybe get a few minutes, will surely serve to increase their desire in training, get them to knuckle down, etc.

Horner, Griffiths and Place all played against Telford when we beat them 6-1 - imagine being involved in that with the buzz coming off the crowd? Few others appeared in cup games, including Rosser and Hand off the top of my head.

It's not enough to bring one through and hope for the best imo - open the doors a little wider, one or two might surprise us. What do we have to lose? We finish 11th instead of 10th? It would allow Wild to concentrate his funds on a smaller group of players, filling gaps as necessary from the youth side.

• Like 1

The northern intermediate league winning team back in the medieval era and Craig Fleming are the only players we have produced that were good enough for the first team and sold for a good profit , that’s in 40 years ! 

12 hours ago, TJAshton said:

Certainly didn’t progress. Think he plays in the lowest league in Sunday football now on the moor somewhere. 

Not quite but get your point

If the gap is too big from the youths to the first team, why can't the club find a fairly locally based lower league team who could benefit from our better youths and give them experience of grown up football.?

That could help get them ready for our first team.

Edited by rdj
sp

There seems to be a big gap between youth development football and 1st team, which at one time reserve team football attempted to bridge.

That option isn't available now hence why youth team players struggle to break into 1st teams unless they have the option of loan spells to lower teams (Harry Kane, Grealish) , or they are very talented and get a game for the 1st team (Sterling, Foden ) or get picked up from lower levels (Stones, Mings, Maguire) 

Obviously I have listed top level players but the principle still stands.

If you want to be a community club .. then youth teams and team of all ages are part of it 

1 we hope it leads to players coming into the first team 

2.200 plus kids running around dreaming of playing football for Halifax is good for the future of the club 

growing and developing players is an important part of being a community club .. 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, TJAshton said:

I remember Sam Hillhouse coming on against Bristol rovers and was knackered after 2 minutes. 

13 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

I remember the name, dont recall much of him though!! How did he progress or not as the case maybe

He came on the first thing he did was nutmeg a Bristol Rovers Wing Back but after that didn't do anything of impact. 

• Like 1

I think normally we do send out some of our youth team players on loan with a view to developing for the first team, but this season with no football being played below us for most of the season that obviously hasn't been an option.

44 minutes ago, Nick said:

If you want to be a community club .. then youth teams and team of all ages are part of it 

1 we hope it leads to players coming into the first team 

2.200 plus kids running around dreaming of playing football for Halifax is good for the future of the club 

growing and developing players is an important part of being a community club .. 

You cant just fill your youth teams full of kids and hope for the best.

Youth academys locally gobble up all the best young talents from 5 years old. These are top academy's with lots of money behind them, how do we compete? We can't unless huge investment that makes loacal kids chose us instead.

Even if you did end up with a really talented lad they'd be off like the keeper Rushworth to Brighton. 

• Like 1

If South Shields can do it .. and we were all impressed with there set up as they put us to the sword this year .. then we should do it to 

and if it creates future town supporters that in time will cover the costs 

On the topic of our youth players, it's worth mentioning that Carl Rushworth recently won Brighton's u23s player of the year award. Was having a conversation recently about how well he'd have done had he stayed with us and honestly because of how poorly we do when it comes to bringing players through into the first team I reckon he'd probably be playing for someone like Brighouse instead.

At Brighton, he has a clear pathway to the first team should be called upon and has Barcelona breathing down his neck about a move there. Now obviously we're never going to be able to do like a Premier League side can, but giving our young players a chance is something we can and must do much better with.

36 minutes ago, Shaymen Stats said:

Benn went on loan to Brighouse a while back and was of a quality above all their other defenders. 

I do think Benn would have got a first team chance this season if he hadn't got injured when he did, that seemed to put him further down the pecking order . Maybe this season will be his breakthrough year but I suspect we'll have an abundance of defensive cover

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shaymen Stats said:

Benn went on loan to Brighouse a while back and was of a quality above all their other defenders. 

Yeah Benn is a Halifax first team player though 

im on about youth team I don’t think we have many currently that are even at Brighouse town level let alone conference 

16 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Never said that old boy . Jay Benn should be following Jack Earing into the football league this summer but instead will probably be heading to the glue leagues with his hopes, ambitions and obvious quality in tatters

15 hours ago, TJAshton said:

Woah don’t just jump to conclusions and be like the rest of them chadders. You’re not changing to a numpty are you🥺

In essence our Youth Team / Academy set up is of Football League standard even more so with the recently announced improvements / initiatives. The excellent work done over the years by Steve Nichol and his team means; unlike Sutton who have been caught napping in meeting football league criteria; we will be able to hit the ground running when the time arises. The addition of Nicky Spooner augments the quality of coaching and football league status means we have more control over the younger players and hopefully the establishment of a reserve team to bridge the gap and facilitate advancement from youth team through to first team.   

Edited by chadders
  • Like 2

The West Riding Cup being cancelled this season didn’t help. Usually get 4/5 youth teamers play amongst the first team. But having never seen them play (barring 45 mins for some at Clitheroe) I couldn’t comment on the ability of the crop

1 hour ago, TJAshton said:

Yeah Benn is a Halifax first team player though 

im on about youth team I don’t think we have many currently that are even at Brighouse town level let alone conference 

At the time Benn was an FCHT Under 19. He was named for the first time ever in a first team match versus Dagenham & Redbridge the first game this season. 

Edit: I do understand the point you are trying to raise though TJ; many lads 16-19 wouldn't last long playing at that level. 

Some do however. I know he's a "special case" now and Wales International etc etc but 17 year old David Brooks came here on loan and was happy to dish it out as much as the oppositions did to him. You've got to somehow find a balance?

On the one hand you could try blood a youngster lower down and for instance he gets his leg broken so severely he nevers plays again because he just cannot deal with the physicality. Or the other hand how will you ever know if "they're ready" without doing this? 

Edited by Shaymen Stats

Sorry to just weigh in with my two pennyworth again, but Benn is/is going to be a good player, hopefully for us if he is looked after. I think the issue would be that we are talking about 1 player, surely if you are going to have the academy then we have to be producing more than 1 player every now and then. I watched the two games in the WRCC in the 2019/20 season where we drew at Yorkshire Amateurs and the lost at Farsley Celtic. Our team included several of our youths, Benn included, he played very well as I recall, and there were a couple of the other lads who quite impressed me, but then I've never seen or heard of them since, there was one lad, a forward player, who scored a cracking goal and I remember clearly writing about him on these threads, disappeared off our radar completely?? Then this season we had 2 youths on the bench against Wealdstone, Nick Crane & Lucas Schofield, whats their progress like?? We are just never told.

4 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Sorry to just weigh in with my two pennyworth again, but Benn is/is going to be a good player, hopefully for us if he is looked after. I think the issue would be that we are talking about 1 player, surely if you are going to have the academy then we have to be producing more than 1 player every now and then. I watched the two games in the WRCC in the 2019/20 season where we drew at Yorkshire Amateurs and the lost at Farsley Celtic. Our team included several of our youths, Benn included, he played very well as I recall, and there were a couple of the other lads who quite impressed me, but then I've never seen or heard of them since, there was one lad, a forward player, who scored a cracking goal and I remember clearly writing about him on these threads, disappeared off our radar completely?? Then this season we had 2 youths on the bench against Wealdstone, Nick Crane & Lucas Schofield, whats their progress like?? We are just never told.

Was it not Spence who scored the cracking goal?

4 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

No, a lad called Rowson:-

FC Halifax Town: W Appleyard, J Hanson, N Maher, J Benn, J Binnom-Williams, J Earing, J Staunton (C), J MacDonald, J Redshaw (J. Taylor 61), D Williams, M Rowson (P.Grooms 79)
Subs: Z Taylor, N Crane, J Taylor, M Smith, P Grooms

Goals: Rowson 52 minutes

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

No, a lad called Rowson:-

FC Halifax Town: W Appleyard, J Hanson, N Maher, J Benn, J Binnom-Williams, J Earing, J Staunton (C), J MacDonald, J Redshaw (J. Taylor 61), D Williams, M Rowson (P.Grooms 79)
Subs: Z Taylor, N Crane, J Taylor, M Smith, P Grooms

Goals: Rowson 52 minutes

Sorry, forgot to add, this was the team against Farsley. Matt Rowson, looked really good, also hit the post, he was through 1 on 1 with the keeper and he placed his shot only to hit the post and Danny Williams missed the follow up.

17 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

This was the team against Yorkshire Ammys:- Doesnt look like Spence was any part of the club around this period!!

Will Appleyard, Jacob Hanson, Niall Maher (c), Jay Benn (Crane, 78), Jerome Binnom-Williams (Ciccarelli, 80), Liam Nolan, Jack Earing, Danny Williams (Rowson, 76), Jeff King, Jake Taylor, Dayle Southwell

Subs: Zak Taylor, Matt Rowson, Nick Crane, Patrick Grooms, Mossimo Ciccarelli

Yellow cards: None

Red Cards: None

Goals: Binnom-Williams