• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And Wayne Allinson wasn't the first player to enter Town's youth set-up. Sometimes things take time. If most clubs at this level and below can have several youth teams, so too can we. For the most par

If you want to be a community club .. then youth teams and team of all ages are part of it  1 we hope it leads to players coming into the first team  2.200 plus kids running around dreaming

In essence our Youth Team / Academy set up is of Football League standard even more so with the recently announced improvements / initiatives. The excellent work done over the years by Steve Nichol an

It's my understanding that he's been working for us for a couple of months now. But given the talent that he oversaw in the Bolton academy for several years he's a brilliant addition 

13 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

The gap between youth and first team is too big and seems to get wider every season

8 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

I agree 

So let's not bother then eh.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chadders said:

Never said that old boy . Jay Benn should be following Jack Earing into the football league this summer but instead will probably be heading to the glue leagues with his hopes, ambitions and obvious quality in tatters

Edited by Wilder Bollox
  • Confused 1
16 minutes ago, chadders said:

Woah don’t just jump to conclusions and be like the rest of them chadders. You’re not changing to a numpty are you🥺

• Haha 1

We should be bringing at least 4 youth through every season, but that would mean at least 12 players in the first team squad that 'aren't ready for the first team yet', and Facebook and here would be in proper meltdown about the 12 wages 'we can't afford'

Taking Benn out of the equation, well partly as he has only made two appearances from the bench, both very early in the season, which to me suggests that he cant have developed enough through the course of the season for Wild to put him on the pitch at the moment, who and when was the last player to actually come through our ranks and become a regular 1st teamer?? Even the young goalkeeper who we sold on to Brighton I think, never made it to the bench that I can recall?? So, if this is the case, is there a point to the youth set up?

2 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

We should be bringing at least 4 youth through every season, but that would mean at least 12 players in the first team squad that 'aren't ready for the first team yet', and Facebook and here would be in proper meltdown about the 12 wages 'we can't afford'

Every pre season I see “(name) has signed his first professional contract with the club) 

How often do we get that. Barely ever 

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

Taking Benn out of the equation, well partly as he has only made two appearances from the bench, both very early in the season, which to me suggests that he cant have developed enough through the course of the season for Wild to put him on the pitch at the moment, who and when was the last player to actually come through our ranks and become a regular 1st teamer?? Even the young goalkeeper who we sold on to Brighton I think, never made it to the bench that I can recall?? So, if this is the case, is there a point to the youth set up?

I remember Sam Hillhouse coming on against Bristol rovers and was knackered after 2 minutes. 

Just now, TJAshton said:

I remember Sam Hillhouse coming on against Bristol rovers and was knackered after 2 minutes. 

I remember the name, dont recall much of him though!! How did he progress or not as the case maybe

A good youth setup can absolutely produce players. Several youth players made first team appearances in 97/98, didn't do us any harm. And the Northern Intermediate side from the 80s probably kept the club afloat with all the players it produced.

People talk about Premier League and Championship clubs taking all the best players. Well, duh, but we don't need Premier League quality players, we need Conference players.

• Like 1
Just now, TommyH72 said:

I remember the name, dont recall much of him though!! How did he progress or not as the case maybe

Certainly didn’t progress. Think he plays in the lowest league in Sunday football now on the moor somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Hoddie said:

A good youth setup can absolutely produce players. Several youth players made first team appearances in 97/98, didn't do us any harm. And the Northern Intermediate side from the 80s probably kept the club afloat with all the players it produced.

People talk about Premier League and Championship clubs taking all the best players. Well, duh, but we don't need Premier League quality players, we need Conference players.

We don’t have any. Don’t even think many are ready for Brighouse town level. 

1 minute ago, Hoddie said:

Exactly, and if we can't produce conference standard players we are doing something seriously wrong

• Like 1
Just now, TJAshton said:

We don’t have any. Don’t even think many are ready for Brighouse town level. 

And Wayne Allinson wasn't the first player to enter Town's youth set-up. Sometimes things take time. If most clubs at this level and below can have several youth teams, so too can we. For the most part they're self-funding anyway, help build relationships with the community and if nothing else they keep kids off the street and doing something useful.

• Like 4

It is such a shame that the lads dont get the opportunities, but even at the lower league end football is a results driven business and they just arent afforded the time required. And lets be honest here, the bigger clubs do snaffle up all the little kids who can semi kick a ball, they molly coddle them till theyre 16 then kick them to the kerb, then these youg lads cant get to grips with whats on offer to them. Here I go again (theres a song in there somewhere), but to me this would all form part of the restructuring of the game. From the very bottom to the very top.