England

TommyH72

2 hours ago, Norm said:

The problem with that is that should that occur and should we get through we will most probably have France in the QF.

Whereas in a situation where we win the group we will probably play Germany or Portugal and whilst neither will be easy we have the advantage of playing the game at Wembley. 

Should we get through that we will probably play Spain, not easy but preferable to France in my view.

At the end of the day if we are going to do anything we are, at some point , going to have to step up and beat a genuine world leading team in a tournament knockout game we have a slightly better chance of doing that at Wembley than in Copenhagen. 

I think the dice are loaded against us by UEFA's ridiculous insistence that we play better football teams to get to the final, England should always have a bye to the semis and be able to appeal any negative result in the semis, I base this argument on 2 over-riding principles of undeniable, legally congruent fact 

1. we invented the game so the FA should be the sports ultimate governing body not FIFA or UEFA.

2 we are sh!t at tournament  football

In deference to the natural upset this will cause, England/UK will cede all rights to entry of Eurovision Song Contest and agree to all remaining copies of Football's Coming Home to be melted down into a new trophy that will be given to however comes runner up to England in all international tournaments.

Yours in sport

Mike Bassett

Edited by vinnyweknuts
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, vinnyweknuts said:

I think the dice are loaded against us by UEFA's ridiculous insistence that we play better football teams to get to the final, England should always have a bye to the semis and be able to appeal any negative result in the semis, I base this argument on 2 over-riding principles of undeniable, legally congruent fact 

1. we invented the game so the FA should be the sports ultimate governing body not FIFA or UEFA.

2 we are sh!t at tournament  football

In deference to the natural upset this will cause, England/UK will cede all rights to entry of Eurovision Song Contest and agree to all remaining copies of Football's Coming Home to be melted down into a new trophy that will be given to however comes runner up to England in all international tournaments.

Yours in sport

Mike Bassett

Ladies and Gentlemen. England will be playing 4-4-*%#&@#;&_2. Thank you.

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2021 at 10:41 PM, Wilder Bollox said:

Friendlies mean nothing . Turn up for the games that count . Should win through the group comfortably

Germany friendly last night 7-1 .. they turned up for a friendly., you can’t  suddenly turn it on for big games having not made the effort previously . we should get through comfortably.. but bet on Scotland giving it 200 percent .. we will need some guts to get through that one 

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Germany friendly last night 7-1 .. they turned up for a friendly., you can’t  suddenly turn it on for big games having not made the effort previously . we should get through comfortably.. but bet on Scotland giving it 200 percent .. we will need some guts to get through that one 

I agree. A player who cares about representing his country - beyond the impact it has on their earnings - should want to win every international. It doesn't matter if they're playing against Gibraltar, Gabon or Germany.

The best thing Gareth Southgate has done is made players actually want to play for England. 

He clearly cares about representing the country in an openly patriotic way and instills that in the players whilst encouraging a positive way of dealing with the pressure and emotion of it all. 

Attitude wise, he's a great manager. I just hope there's a bit more evidence that he's as good tactically over the next month. 

He's written a brilliant open letter to all England fans here that is well worth reading. 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/dear-england-01f798yfraha

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, olitheshayman said:

The best thing Gareth Southgate has done is made players actually want to play for England. 

He clearly cares about representing the country in an openly patriotic way and instills that in the players whilst encouraging a positive way of dealing with the pressure and emotion of it all. 

Attitude wise, he's a great manager. I just hope there's a bit more evidence that he's as good tactically over the next month. 

He's written a brilliant open letter to all England fans here that is well worth reading. 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/dear-england-01f798yfraha

I agree..a great read.

• Like 1

My prediction England to get to the final and win, Germany not the team they once were, the Spanish are rebuilding as are the Italians, the Dutch usually implode somewhere along the lines, the Portuguese forget it, that leaves France.

Play them and don’t be afraid, attack instead of defending desperately and we could beat them on our day, obviously we’ll need a bit of luck, all our games are at home apart from the Quarter Final. A lot could depend on our back 3/4 and Pickford turning up, if they get it together and Phillips can nail down the defensive midfielder role, our front line is as good as any in Europe.

Oh and we’ve got Grealish a good gust of wind and he’ll go down, good for a few pens that lad 

C’MON ENGLAND our time has come

Edited by LeedsShaymen

9 minutes ago, LeedsShaymen said:

My prediction England to get to the final and win, Germany not the team they once were, the Spanish are rebuilding as are the Italians, the Dutch usually implode somewhere along the lines, that leaves France.

Play them and don’t be afraid, attack instead of defending desperately and we could beat them on our day, obviously we’ll need a bit of luck, all our games are at home and a lot could depend on our back 3/4 and Pickford, if they get it together our front line is as good as any in Europe.

Oh and we’ve got Grelish a good gust of wind and he’ll go down, good for a pen that lad 

C’MON ENGLAND 

I have 2 main concerns. 

The first one Is the defense. Without Maguire we look too easy to create against. 

2. I'm very worried he's going to pick the wrong attacking players. Anyone who's watched the premier league this season knows how good Foden and Grealish have been for their clubs. They'll also know how poor Sterling and Rashford have been this season. Have a guess which 2 I think will line up either side of Kane? And also think about which 2 probably should be? 

Edited by Greggs

22 hours ago, LeedsShaymen said:

My prediction England to get to the final and win, Germany not the team they once were, the Spanish are rebuilding as are the Italians, the Dutch usually implode somewhere along the lines, the Portuguese forget it, that leaves France.

Play them and don’t be afraid, attack instead of defending desperately and we could beat them on our day, obviously we’ll need a bit of luck, all our games are at home apart from the Quarter Final. A lot could depend on our back 3/4 and Pickford turning up, if they get it together and Phillips can nail down the defensive midfielder role, our front line is as good as any in Europe.

Oh and we’ve got Grealish a good gust of wind and he’ll go down, good for a few pens that lad 

C’MON ENGLAND our time has come

I'll have a pint of that juice please mine host

22 hours ago, Greggs said:

I have 2 main concerns. 

The first one Is the defense. Without Maguire we look too easy to create against. 

2. I'm very worried he's going to pick the wrong attacking players. Anyone who's watched the premier league this season knows how good Foden and Grealish have been for their clubs. They'll also know how poor Sterling and Rashford have been this season. Have a guess which 2 I think will line up either side of Kane? And also think about which 2 probably should be? 

so only concerns are attack and defence! So long as we are good to go on tournament song and kit design.

4 hours ago, lonesomedove said:

many seem to be wanting croatia to beat the knee benders, it will look bad croatians stood up while england are on their knees with all the booing being shown around europe 2-1 croatia i am going for

Knee benders? You should be ashamed.

Not sure there are many wanting Croatia to win.  The money seems to be piling on England.  I don't bet on football and don't recommend it because the odds are poor.  Having said that Croatia are too big at 5-1.  If we lose to these what with media interest and other aspects hogging the headlines, the fallout will be horrendous.  Footnote - when the fun stops stop (that's assuming it starts).

4 hours ago, Lester said:

Not sure there are many wanting Croatia to win.  The money seems to be piling on England.  I don't bet on football and don't recommend it because the odds are poor.  Having said that Croatia are too big at 5-1.  If we lose to these what with media interest and other aspects hogging the headlines, the fallout will be horrendous.  Footnote - when the fun stops stop (that's assuming it starts).

given that people are lumping on England doesn't that mean its good value  to back Croatia and then open a Croatian bookies account and do the opposite there?

I heard that England had never won a Euros knockout game in open play/90 mins. Is this stat correct? If so, its about time we sorted that one out.

We’ve never one our opening match either. I can see this changing on Sunday.

Also until last night Italy had never scored more than two goals in a Euros finals game (or so the commentator said).  

Strange stats? Have I just dreamt these up or are they true?

A3C7F6F7-3C35-4872-8327-9CF38954C3C7.png

Edited by shaymen_x

39 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

I heard that England had never won a Euros knockout game in open play/90 mins. Is this stat correct? If so, its about time we sorted that one out.

We’ve never one our opening match either. I can see this changing on Sunday.

Also until last night Italy had never scored more than two goals in a Euros finals game (or so the commentator said).  

Strange stats? Have I just dreamt these up or are they true?

A3C7F6F7-3C35-4872-8327-9CF38954C3C7.png

Quite a bizarre stat but from memory I can recall us being very poor from my earliest memory which is 1980 onwards .

Just had a look at the historical stats and confirmed it really is a shite record , our best finish is 3rd in 1968 when only 4 countries entered .(No 3rd v 4th in 96 I assume)

"We will never have a better opportunity than in this tournament to win something" 

A statement rolled every 2 years when a big tournament comes around but the World Cup in 66 and the Euro's in 96 were on home soil and we did quite well in those two .

We are not exactly hosting the tournament ( a country who invented the game and has only hosted both tournaments once is a travisty but that's an argument for another day) but apart from one game we are at home if we top the group , quarter final is somewhere else , so it's time to change them stats .

Never won an opening game. 

Never won a knockout game in open play .

Never got to the final .

Starting tomorrow against Croatia, we owe them one .

• Thanks 1

So off the top of my head

Euro 1984 - didnt qualify? 

Euro 1988 - out at the group stage? 

Euro 1992 - didnt qualify? Or knocked out very early? 

Euro 1996 - Semis (beat Holland on penalties in Quarter Final). 

Euro 2000 - out in the group stages. 

Euro 2004 - Round of 16 (lost to Portugal on pens). 

Euro 2008 - didn't qualify. 

Euro 2012 - Round of 16 (lost to Italy on pens). 

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 (lost 1-2 to Iceland).