20 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

We need to improve on a good few areas ttt  hoping Gareth comes up with a few gems.🙂

I think you and other's expectations are unrealistic on GM to find top players in the glue leagues etc for a tenner. He has an excellent track record, but it can't be easy when there are more and more bigger clubs than ours fishing in the same pool where Vardy and his like came from.

15 minutes ago, Shayite 432 said:

I think you and other's expectations are unrealistic on GM to find top players in the glue leagues etc for a tenner. He has an excellent track record, but it can't be easy when there are more and more bigger clubs than ours fishing in the same pool where Vardy and his like came from.

Higher clubs are not looking there as much they need instant success thats why Gareth wanted to come back to us.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Higher clubs are not looking there as much they need instant success thats why Gareth wanted to come back to us.

Agree .. think all clubs only fish one or two levels down .. 

45 minutes ago, Shayite 432 said:

For instance look at Solihull Moors striker Kyle Hudlin he was playing Sunday League last season and now Norwich-Hudds-Barnsley & SW. are after him and talking £10,000,000.

23 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

I well remember Ian Lawther shoulder charge the Brentford goalkeeper into his own net in a 3 - 0 win at the Shay. Great days. For the younger readers, a "shoulder charge" was actual body contact, when tackling was still part of the game and it was played by men who didnt roll around like spoilt kids when they lost the ball or the supporters called them names.

I'm pretty sure that goal was against Workington at Easter 1969 in promotion season.

1 hour ago, dcrossl1 said:

I'm pretty sure that goal was against Workington at Easter 1969 in promotion season.

The dates and results dont tie up for the goal to have been v Workington DCL1. I'm absolutely convinced it was against Brentford in a 3 - 0 home win. It would have been in the old Div 3, and there is a 3 - 0 win against Brentford in the period. I can vividly remember the Red & White Stripes whereas I'm pretty certain Workington played in all Red. If anyone out there can shed any light it would be most appreciated, for no other reason than my sanity really???

18 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

The dates and results dont tie up for the goal to have been v Workington DCL1. I'm absolutely convinced it was against Brentford in a 3 - 0 home win. It would have been in the old Div 3, and there is a 3 - 0 win against Brentford in the period. I can vividly remember the Red & White Stripes whereas I'm pretty certain Workington played in all Red. If anyone out there can shed any light it would be most appreciated, for no other reason than my sanity really???

Pretty sure it was workington, Easter, promotion season

11 minutes ago, townmad said:

If I'm on the right game it was at the bus sheds end. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Brentford.

Remember seeing it at the bus garage end, but haven’t a clue who we were playing. All the games merge into one after a few decades. 
Except for the Fulham one..,,,

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 2:54 PM, TommyH72 said:

We once beat Brentford 3-0 with a Shanahan hat trick . At the time wasn’t it our lowest gate? 970?

• Like 1

I remember the game and the goal it was Brentford .. I am sure .. playing towards the bus depot 

but I do remember several years later another town player scored the same way .. the player and the opposition the second time round  I don’t remember. 

• Like 1

Definitely Workington their goalie was Mike Rogan. It was Easter Monday 1969. He fell backwards into the goal, ref wasn't  sure what to do and linesman told him it was a goal. I think that the fact it was in the last 5 minutes and we were two nil up had something to do with it.

We have put 3 past Brentford twice both times winning 3 2. The first time was 15 November 1966 and the second time was early 1973 when Terry Shanahan scored a hattrick in the first half. Brentford came back in the second half and we were hanging on at the end. I was one of the 970.

Incidentally Terry Shanahan is the only professional  fotballer born on the same day as me.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:02 PM, haldo said:

We once beat Brentford 3-0 with a Shanahan hat trick . At the time wasn’t it our lowest gate? 970?

Think that game ended 3-2, we were hanging on. Following Saturday 5,000 were there vs Blackburn.

On 5/31/2021 at 3:45 PM, townmad said:

Workington looks about right. That was the season Maddie got a hat trick against Newport County when the ref congratulated him on his third.

Led. What a player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1