30 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Be interesting how the squad evolves next season . Will naturally be dependent upon which League we are in . Some players are likely to leave for a variety of reasons and will need comparative replacements

I can’t see it being much different to be honest. Earing is probably the obvious one who will leave. I imagine we will get rid of the likes of RNL, Tear and maybe one or two others at a push. Chadwick, Campbell and Obiero will all return to their parent clubs. Clarke could retire. For once I’ve got a good feeling the majority of the squad will stay. 

I’d say you are probably going to need 2 number 10s to replace Earing and what should have been RNL. A backup right wing back to replace Tear. A 4th striker option to provide depth for Hyde, Allen and the returning Stenson.  Could see it being either Campbell or Bell given both are out of contract at the end of the season. And then we may need to replace Clarke if he retires. The other two players to mention are Benn and Spence, do we keep them as squad players, maybe loan them out. I suppose you could put Tear in that category too but got a feeling he will leave as he doesn’t suit our system unlike the other two. 

So overall, I’d say should we retain everyone we want to bar Earing, we will only need 4-6 signings. With the right additions, we could be serious top 3 contenders next season should we not go up through the playoffs.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nathan Clarke has been immense today.

Clarke man of the match for me won everything, read everything, marshalled everything.  Still going strong. How wrong some people can be.

I'll volunteer as today's know it all, and point out it should be "Braced" and not "Braised".

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

I can’t see it being much different to be honest. Earing is probably the obvious one who will leave. I imagine we will get rid of the likes of RNL, Tear and maybe one or two others at a push. Chadwick, Campbell and Obiero will all return to their parent clubs. Clarke could retire. For once I’ve got a good feeling the majority of the squad will stay. 

I’d say you are probably going to need 2 number 10s to replace Earing and what should have been RNL. A backup right wing back to replace Tear. A 4th striker option to provide depth for Hyde, Allen and the returning Stenson.  Could see it being either Campbell or Bell given both are out of contract at the end of the season. And then we may need to replace Clarke if he retires. The other two players to mention are Benn and Spence, do we keep them as squad players, maybe loan them out. I suppose you could put Tear in that category too but got a feeling he will leave as he doesn’t suit our system unlike the other two. 

So overall, I’d say should we retain everyone we want to bar Earing, we will only need 4-6 signings. With the right additions, we could be serious top 3 contenders next season should we not go up through the playoffs.

Not really seen enough of Tear to make a judgment, see Spence as a like for like replacement if Earing does leave, although again seen little of him.

1 minute ago, Roy Race said:

Not really seen enough of Tear to make a judgment, see Spence as a like for like replacement if Earing does leave, although again seen little of him.

Spence is not a 10. He can do a job late in a game as a sub in that position by adding energy. 
Was always box to box or holding midfielder for Middlesbrough, then played a lot of games at right and left wingback for Scarborough. 

12 hours ago, Glenners said:

It is disappointing when we see a young player develop under out tutelage and then lose them without earning a fee. It’s great to see them playing higher up but how can lower league clubs progress without transfer fees. 

l think we will see Earing playing in the Championship in the next few years and who knows even higher, especially if he continues to  progress like ha has in the last 12 months. What a player and a delight to watch. His goal today was absolute class. 

Whilst it’s frustrating in the short term, it will work out for us regardless.

When there’s other lads leaving top club academies, we’ve got a proven case study in taking a player, looking after them in an up and down first season, developing them and getting them a football league career.

They’ll pick us. Clubs like Hull will pick us to send the Chadwicks of the world to.

That will make us better and the odd one we’ll get a fee for. 

Edited by shaymandownsouff
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, AJS said:

Spence will be an integral part of the team next season Plus the fact he is contracted. Benn depend how he is developing he is highly thought of. 

• Like 1

If Clarke does retire then Benn, Byrne, Bradbury and Maher become our 4 cb’s in the squad. If not, he still appears a good good prospect and well thought of, so could be loaned out (I suspect he would have been this season if the N/S were playing). 
Tear had been playing for the U23’s development squad, and like Earing could play a bigger part in his second season with us (perhaps not to the same extent). He’s not looked out of place in the few cameos he’s played, and could be adopted to being the backup right wing back. The same goes for Spence.

If we are still in this league next season I’d like to keep all three. 

14 hours ago, nw3casc1 said:

Young lad...needs and will player at a higher level then FC Halifax Town.. Our board will not be able to offer him a top contact\£££. That's way of lower league football. 

Jack Earing, along with at least 2 more of the younger players, may well develop into higher league players. For now they fit us well & should be looking to progress with us.

Offer them contracts & as previously done, emphasis the importance of stability & that we will not stand in their way of progression if the right deal is made for them by another club. If they are good enough, a transfer fee will not stand in the way of a good move & it shows some loyalty to us for how we have helped them progress.

Win win for both parties & when the transfer happens, it does not leave a sour taste in supporters mouths, as has previously happened when a player lets his contract run down, knowing he will be alright & not bother about the club.

Show some loyalty & the fans will love you for ever.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Macam blue said:

Jack Earing, along with at least 2 more of the younger players, may well develop into higher league players. For now they fit us well & should be looking to progress with us.

Offer them contracts & as previously done, emphasis the importance of stability & that we will not stand in their way of progression if the right deal is made for them by another club. If they are good enough, a transfer fee will not stand in the way of a good move & it shows some loyalty to us for how we have helped them progress.

Win win for both parties & when the transfer happens, it does not leave a sour taste in supporters mouths, as has previously happened when a player lets his contract run down, knowing he will be alright & not bother about the club.

Show some loyalty & the fans will love you for ever.

Loyalty doesn't really exist that much in football anymore. We'd all love it if these players did. But Earing and King and the like have  absolutely no affinity to the club apart from putting the shirt on every week and getting a wage. 

Look at the premier league for example. Harry Kane wants out if they dont make the champions league despite being one of there own 

1 hour ago, Greggs said:

Loyalty doesn't really exist that much in football anymore. We'd all love it if these players did. But Earing and King and the like have  absolutely no affinity to the club apart from putting the shirt on every week and getting a wage. 

Look at the premier league for example. Harry Kane wants out if they dont make the champions league despite being one of there own 

Can´t totally agree there Greggs, Gregory could have gone but signed s new contract with the previser we would keep him informed of interest and an acceptable off came in we would not stand in his way.

Earing staying and playing every week would benefit him as well as us.

Just now, Steve Lanzarote said:

Can´t totally agree there Greggs, Gregory could have gone but signed s new contract with the previser we would keep him informed of interest and an acceptable off came in we would not stand in his way.

Earing staying and playing every week would benefit him as well as us.

The game has moved on from then. That was 6 years ago. The everything now era has definitely moved on from then. 

I hope he does show that loyalty. Let's not forget he got packed out on loan in his first year aswell. However much anyone will say he wasn't ready for the battle in non league at that point. I can guarentee he would have thought he was ready. 

2 hours ago, Greggs said:

Correct. Its a short career and all about money and job security. 100% if another club come in offering a good bit more money and a few years contract then every player in this side would move on

1 hour ago, Greggs said:

The game has moved on from then. That was 6 years ago. The everything now era has definitely moved on from then. 

I hope he does show that loyalty. Let's not forget he got packed out on loan in his first year aswell. However much anyone will say he wasn't ready for the battle in non league at that point. I can guarentee he would have thought he was ready. 

The game has changed considerably since Gregory. Mostly due to Covid & the amount of professional players who will have found it difficult during these uncertain times. Not all are mercenaries, in the case of Jack Earing he was not packed out of the club on loan as he was not wanted, the Manager felt it would help his progress & it has.

I agree with Steve, show players loyalty (which we are well known for) and usually you will get some in respect.

Our club has come on leaps & bounds recently, now having a Management Team committed to the future of the club, a scouting set up, a presence in the town for training etc. Clubs our size & financially reliant on transfer/sponsor income, need to be seen as the best club for young up & coming players to learn their trade in the lower leagues & progress up the ladder. If we continue to show such players how we operate to the highest of standards, there are two winners by signing a contract, both the player & the club. 

• Like 3

Partial View from the Kitchen Table

Workmanlike – definition “showing efficient competence but not inspiration.

I missed the first 20 mins, and consequently the only goal of the game, as Alty’s streaming service does not “pause” when you press the “pause” button.

Watched the rest of the first half, and like the Altrincham commentators, felt that Town were in total control, but unable to add to the goal tally. Earing’s goal, later seen on the halftime highlights was an exceptionally good solo effort by Jack which emphasised the improvement this season by him when he takes defenders on and executes a shot from the edge of the area,

The overriding impression for me was the way that Town pressed Altrincham high up the pitch basically pinning them in their own half and leaving Alty with no option than to hoof the ball up the pitch, which was meat and drink for the Halifax backline. The Town defence well marshalled by Nathan Clarke never seemed threatened and Jake Hyde was giving the Alty a hard time. At times the game seemed very pedestrian, and the commentators mentioned that it felt more like a training game with no pace or intensity on display.

Having said that we appeared to be in full control in the first half, we were not able to dominate fully, as the midfield three, apart from Earing, where not our most attacking set of players. Even so, based on the first half I was confident that we could step up a gear and increase our lead.

I do not know what was said in the changing room at half time, but the Town tactics seemed to be the opposite of the first half. We sat deep and invited Altrincham to come and have a go, which is dangerous if you are only sat on a one goal lead. My notes show a growing fear that we were ging to be undone by attacking play down each of the flanks, with Williams missing or mistiming simple challenges and King being beaten consistently by Seesay on the Altrincham left.

The only exception being Williams winning a strong challenge, which the Alty players were not happy with, which played Earing in for a run into the Altrincham penalty area. Unfortunately, his low cross into the middle of the box was cleared before Hyde had chance to pounce on it.

On 65 mins Nyall Bell joined the fray, and Hardy came on for Hancock, the Altrincham top scorer, who had been held in check all game. Not long after Town brought on Summerfield and Woods to replace King and Green. This allowed Maher to drop to right wing back and shut Seesay down, which he did very effectively.

With the introduction of the new midfield Town were able to re-establish some sort of control, with the lively Hardy probing and trying to get something going for Altrincham. The only real threat coming in the 85th minute when Colclough was allowed to cut inside from the right wing and drift across the edge of the Town box before unleashing a very good effort on goal which Sam Johnson pushed over the bar.

Town once again showed good “game management” to hold Altrincham at bay and take the 3 points – job done. However, for the fans sat at home this was a very nervy second half, with a one goal cushion and the constant worry that one slip would cancel out all of the good work done over the full 90 mins.

Defensively, it could be seen from the stream that we were very disciplined, and a lot of communication was going on. I was pleased to see that Nathan Clarke was looking more comfortable in the back 3 with him now using the option of Sam Johnson rather than lumping the ball up field when closed down. Another clean sheet has to be good for morale and shows that we will be hard for any team to break down.

Midfield did a lot of hard work, which apart from the Earing moment of class, was largely uninspiring but effective. We have to be careful of not becoming complacent in the middle of the park, as teams like Chesterfield and Stockport will expose this. Biggest plus of the game was to see Luke Summerfield back on the pitch.

Up front, Jake Hyde continues to do a sterling effort at both holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game, but also how he disrupts the opposition defence in a physical way and in a technical way, looking to vary what he does and never showing the opposition defenders the same look each time he gets the ball, or when he is making his runs into the box.

All in all, a “workmanlike” performance, we did enough to win the game but no more than was required. We had a very strong bench to choose from and we still have Billy Chadwick to add to the mix. The players and PW must be very pleased with their afternoons work and we now look forward to doing the same to Wrexham at the Shay on Tuesday night. MoM, was close thing between Clarke and Johnson, but for all around effort I would give it to Nathan Clarke.

• Thanks 1