Hate to say it but probable team for Cheltincham

1 Sam Johnson

5 Byrne                6 Clarke           6 Bradbury

2King                        3 Senior

8 Green                31 Maher           10 Earing

9 Hyde                     7 Allen.

Subs  40 Renshaw  6 Clarke 19 Summerfield  29 Obiero 11 Williams 30 Spence .

KO 3pm

Live stream-https://alty.ticketco.events/uk/en/e/altrincham_v_afc_halifax_town

Starts 2pm

Commentary-https://www.altrinchamfc.com/fixture/first-team/2020-21/fc-halifax-town-h-50066

Edited by Steve Lanzarote
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nathan Clarke has been immense today.

Clarke man of the match for me won everything, read everything, marshalled everything.  Still going strong. How wrong some people can be.

I'll volunteer as today's know it all, and point out it should be "Braced" and not "Braised".

I don’t expect to see Chadwick .. not sure what happened there 

hope woods start with Maher dropping to the back three and Clark to the bench 

hoping that Obiero starts with Allen on the bench

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

If fit I would have Woods CM drop Maher back and put Nathan on the bench.

My feelings about Woods are similar to many have about Clarke, not a first choice with the emergence of Earing & Green & to a lesser extent Spence.

Johnson 

Byrne    Maher    Bradbury 

King                                                   Senior 

Earing     Green     Woods

Hyde       Chadwick/Obiero

Get the defence back to what it was when they started playing well and get us back to playing decent football and less hoofball. 

Should be 3 points today as we need to stay in the play offs. 

Edited by TJAshton
41 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

If fit I would have Woods CM drop Maher back and put Nathan on the bench.

Same here .. Wild says Wood was fit to play on Monday .. but just felt he could take the option of giving him further time to recover against Weymouth 

think against Altrincham wild will put out his best team ..

I expect woods in the bench as a minimum ... but I think a good chance he will start .. with summerfield on the bench .. giving an easy man for man swap .. to get summerfield in a position to start against wrexham 

36 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Totally agree no more than a squad man.

Disagree.. has that ability to create time and put his foot on the ball, which is currently missing.. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Hate to say it but probable team for Cheltincham

I find it difficult to call them by their proper name after they celebrated our demise which gave them another reprieve .

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, ashy1966 said:

Since Clarke came back into the side. The high press & intensity has disappeared. 

Agree, and it's cost us points. Whether it's Clarke to blame or Wild changing tactics because Clarke is back I don't know. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Hoddie said:

Agree, and it's cost us points. Whether it's Clarke to blame or Wild changing tactics because Clarke is back I don't know. 

The defence was fine. No need to bring Clarke back in. Maher was playing out of his skin at centre back. Not near enough as effective in midfeld. 

1 minute ago, ashy1966 said:

The defence was fine. No need to bring Clarke back in. Maher was playing out of his skin at centre back. Not near enough as effective in midfeld. 

Just shows how much better .. we are this season that people can discuss whether to have Clarke starting or on the bench .. not a bad place to be going into the last 12 Games 

• Like 1

Hoddie, I mentioned in my report for the Weymouth game that the way we work the ball out from the back with Clarke in the middle of the back 3 is compromised. For some reason he is reluctant to go back to Sam when closed down and he seems to prefer to "hoof" the ball up to the front unit, which in this league is not going to win many games.

Whilst football is a team game and results are generally not all down to one player, if you look at the games where we have played with Nathan in the back line, we have averaged only 0.92 points per game, compared to 2 points per game for the remainder of the fixtures. Breaking this down, for the first 9 games, the ppg was 0.77, add in the last 3 games and the Clarke led team has upped the ppg to 0.92. The remainder of the side has remained reasonably the same for the other 18 games, but a different style of play from the back 3 is discernible, and has resulted in the 2 points per game average.

I have noticed that having Maher play in the middle of the back 3 tends to lead to more opponents attacking moves being snuffed out by timely interceptions and better reading of the passes from the opponents. Consequently, we retain the ball better across the back 3 resulting in our starting our attack from much higher up the field, as Bradbury and Byrne are much more confident bringing the ball out of defence with Maher then filling in behind them.

Whilst I feel Nathan Clarke has much to offer the club with his experience in a role from the bench, I prefer to see the more attacking style of play we have when using Maher in his best position, and one where he can influence the game. We must not forget, the Niall is relatively young and as such should be part of the foundation of the squad for next season and should be being groomed to become the new Nathan Clarke, as sadly Nathan himself is not the future for the club.