22 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

I don't focus on the referee, I accept that they make mistakes. Yes it's very frustrating when it goes against you but they do go for you also. 

Referees in general are on a hiding to nothing and imo players need to stop cheating 

I 100% agree that there is way way too much cheating going on, at all levels and most refs seem to turn a blind eye.  But in addition there are some poor refs around

I know there has been talk of loss of home advantage this last year due to players not being fired up by a partisan home crowd but it would be interesting to look at how ref/lino decisions have changed in terms of decisions/yellow and red cards ?

1 minute ago, vinnyweknuts said:

I know there has been talk of loss of home advantage this last year due to players not being fired up by a partisan home crowd but it would be interesting to look at how ref/lino decisions have changed in terms of decisions/yellow and red cards ?

One thing that is noticeable, certainly at the top level is the lack of players surrounding referees after an incident. Very refreshing to see. 

9 minutes ago, bazza45 said:

I 100% agree that there is way way too much cheating going on, at all levels and most refs seem to turn a blind eye.  But in addition there are some poor refs around

Players are that good at it that the refs do not spot it. 

2 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

I don't focus on the referee, I accept that they make mistakes. Yes it's very frustrating when it goes against you but they do go for you also. 

While I can agree to with that to an extent, Marsden is a serial game ruiner. It often feels like he has made a decision prior to the game who he wants to win at times. Sometimes we come off better due to this, however more often than not we don't.

He loves dishing out the cards and walking around all pigeon chested like he is the main attraction. A truly inept referee and the exact opposite to the likes of Welch. For all the praise Welch is getting for how she handles games, Marsden deserves all the abuse he gets for his inability to handle them. It is generally baffling and a mystery how he still manages to get games at this level. 

You don't remember the refs that go about their business in a fair and consistent way. You do remember the bad ones. Theres bad refs, then theres this idiot. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Flea said:

While I can agree to with that to an extent, Marsden is a serial game ruiner. It often feels like he has made a decision prior to the game who he wants to win at times. Sometimes we come off better due to this, however more often than not we don't.

He loves dishing out the cards and walking around all pigeon chested like he is the main attraction. A truly inept referee and the exact opposite to the likes of Welch. For all the praise Welch is getting for how she handles games, Marsden deserves all the abuse he gets for his inability to handle them. It is generally baffling and a mystery how he still manages to get games at this level. 

You don't remember the refs that go about their business in a fair and consistent way. You do remember the bad ones. Theres bad refs, then theres this idiot. 

I honestly do not know Marsden is, will Google him, but his name doesn't ring any bells. 

1 hour ago, Papa Lazarou said:

I honestly do not know Marsden is, will Google him, but his name doesn't ring any bells. 

This clown is either unbelievably inept or sadly corrupt. Some of his decisions beggar belief and when he gives 2 different decisions for the same offence you do have to question his motives. I’m hoping he doesn’t get to influence the result on Monday 

8 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

The only ref I can remember from recebt seasons was a guy with closely cropped hair, a suntan and a tight referee shirt showing his guns! No idea what his name is though. 

Sure that wasn’t from your dreams!!!

• Haha 1
On 4/1/2021 at 7:48 PM, Papa Lazarou said:

Referees in general are on a hiding to nothing and imo players need to stop cheating 

You raise some great points, especially with regards to refs making mistakes (like footballers do).

I was with you with the cheating thing until Foden rode a terrible tackle recently and kept his feet. Had he fallen, it would have been a definite penalty. Now I'm not so sure about diving. 

As for female refs - I'm all for them, especially as there are a lack of refs at local level. Their success should be a meritocracy and not based upon positive discrimination.  

I tried reffing for a bit and I hated every minute of it. I did my level 3 under Neil Denholm in Brighouse. I only did it to get a better insight into the game. At the end, I was gently pressganged into doing the local leagues. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Che Bentos said:

You raise some great points, especially with regards to refs making mistakes (like footballers do).

I was with you with the cheating thing until Foden rode a terrible tackle recently and kept his feet. Had he fallen, it would have been a definite penalty. Now I'm not so sure about diving. 

As for female refs - I'm all for them, especially as there are a lack of refs at local level. Their success should be a meritocracy and not based upon positive discrimination.  

I tried reffing for a bit and I hated every minute of it. I did my level 3 under Neil Denholm in Brighouse. I only did it to get a better insight into the game. At the end, I was gently pressganged into doing the local leagues. 

I also did a bit of reffing (junior league at Clifton Rangers) and share your hate for it (didn't mind to reffing to much but the stress wasn't worth the hassle) . The late Dave Ellis tried to encourage me to get more involved and get some qualifications but it wasn't for me

On 4/1/2021 at 8:21 PM, Papa Lazarou said:

One thing that is noticeable, certainly at the top level is the lack of players surrounding referees after an incident. Very refreshing to see. 

is that because they know VAR is watching everything?

3 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Well refereed today 

Completely agree - I gave him quite a hard time earlier this week but thought he had a very good game and was fair to both teams throughout

On 4/1/2021 at 11:35 PM, Papa Lazarou said:

The only ref I can remember from recebt seasons was a guy with closely cropped hair, a suntan and a tight referee shirt showing his guns! No idea what his name is though. 

now Papa we've told you  about visiting those websites