Sutton:- So, How Good or How Bad

So then, we've all time to digest and analyze yesterdays game. So how good or how bad was yesterday. Well obviously it can be viewed in several different ways, but I'm going to come right out and say I thought we were excellent, barring the last 20 minutes!!! As I wrote in a thread yesterday prior to the game my heart was telling me that we could win the game but my head was telling me that Sutton being on a great run, I think they were unbeaten in 8/9 games, had the edge, so I did say I would be happy with the draw, and since thats what the ultimate result was then I cant really complain can I??? But being 2 - 0 up, completely dominating the game and threatening every time we got in sight of the goal, letting Sutton back into the game is hard to take. But lets be honest, they are not top of the league for nothing and they were always going to come and spoil the party. I still cant figure out what the hell went on for the first goal, I really need to see it again before I make any real comment, but I will say, and take the abuse, my initial thought was, where was Sam??? Their second goal reminded me of the parting of the red sea, where the hell did the defence go?? You could see it opening up right in front of your eyes!! The thing is, and I'm going to go back to an old chestnut of mine here, game management. We seem incapable of seeing a game out. Not for the first time this season I'll add. I can only imagine that Earing was feeling the effects of his recent injury when he came off, but his departure heralded our complete capitulation!!!! And that showed more than anything how weak our squad is at the moment, Hyde for Earing is not a good substitution, but sadly who else was there???? And thats whats going to cost us our push for the play offs if its not remedied very quickly. I know Woods & Allen were missing (dont get me started on that one), but as the game went into the last 10 mins Chadwicks legs were playing theyre own game of jelly on a plate!!!!! The lad had run himself to a standstill. All in all I say we had a good day against a very good team, who, when they decided to come out to play showed exactly why they will get promoted as champions, but by the time they did that we should have been out of sight at 4/5 nil.  

• Like 2

Good assessment, when and if we get all our injured players and internationals back and up and running we are going to be a very difficult team to beat, if we can hang on till then and get to the play offs i would think we are in with a great chance  

• Like 1

Still feels like we lost the game internally. Have to keep reminding myself that we didn't. 

We played some decent stuff and got into a good position. Then we always seem to stop playing and allow teams onto us. 

If it's a good point or a bad point time will tell. It's certainly 2 points dropped though from 2 goals up 

• Like 1

Barring their two goals in last quarter only one team in it which was a huge credit to the management & team on the field. 

Posted this before, disappointed but far from despondent, we clearly have the players to see this season out on a high.

When I saw yesterday’s starting line up no woods no hyde having to shuffle  people around 

I simply thought no chance .. best we could hope for was a nil-nil 

well for 70 mins totally wrong well done to the team .. brilliant 

but you know against the top team you are never going to dominate.. then we scored a second and had to sub earring.. 

but effectively no one on the bench to swap for . Good to see hyde back in anyway

at this point Sutton have nothing to lose and just go for it .. 

well done to them .. 

but when you have no bench to play it’s hard to see out the game ..

if such a make shift dude has the guts and skill to play that well against the top side then a play off place is a certainty ... 

well done shaymen 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Barring their two goals in last quarter only one team in it which was a huge credit to the management & team on the field. 

Posted this before, disappointed but far from despondent, we clearly have the players to see this season out on a high.

Our weekly inability to capitalise on the amount of chances we create is a real issue for me, and its borne out by the fact that had we had an out and out striker on from the kick off yesterday who knows what might have happened. Coming back from injury Hyde has shown that he needs a couple of games to get his eye in, but both King & Chadwick had good opportunities yesterday and either put in very weak shots or made bad choices, I know they only have a split second to make a decision, but thats the difference in a 20 goal a season man. Hopefully Summerfield will be back fairly soon and if he finds the form he was in prior to his injury that will be fantastic, but heading into the run for home we definitely need that second striker. As for the final 15/20mins, I would say bad management!!! (controversial), but surely it's get the ball, keep the ball, send it back to the keeper, let the defenders pass it around, but dont give it away cheaply and that has been our downfall way to often lately. I hate being critical on the back of what was a great performance from the lads, but it has to come from Wild when the same thing keeps happening.

2 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Our weekly inability to capitalise on the amount of chances we create is a real issue for me, and its borne out by the fact that had we had an out and out striker on from the kick off yesterday who knows what might have happened. Coming back from injury Hyde has shown that he needs a couple of games to get his eye in, but both King & Chadwick had good opportunities yesterday and either put in very weak shots or made bad choices, I know they only have a split second to make a decision, but thats the difference in a 20 goal a season man. Hopefully Summerfield will be back fairly soon and if he finds the form he was in prior to his injury that will be fantastic, but heading into the run for home we definitely need that second striker. As for the final 15/20mins, I would say bad management!!! (controversial), but surely it's get the ball, keep the ball, send it back to the keeper, let the defenders pass it around, but dont give it away cheaply and that has been our downfall way to often lately. I hate being critical on the back of what was a great performance from the lads, but it has to come from Wild when the same thing keeps happening.

Oh yeah!!! I would also like to apologise to Clarky, yesterday, along with loads of others I had written him off, but what a commanding performance, and perhaps when we get some of the other lads back, he might be just on the bench, but what a man to have in your locker. Immense performance yesterday. I take my hat off to you Sir!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, TommyH72 said:

Oh yeah!!! I would also like to apologise to Clarky, yesterday, along with loads of others I had written him off, but what a commanding performance, and perhaps when we get some of the other lads back, he might be just on the bench, but what a man to have in your locker. Immense performance yesterday. I take my hat off to you Sir!!!

yes, but he still likes to hoof it straight to the opposition. And that then makes it harder for midfield to reclaim the ball.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, chrisbo61 said:

yes, but he still likes to hoof it straight to the opposition. And that then makes it harder for midfield to reclaim the ball.

Watched him very carefully yesterday and he wasnt hoofing it very much at all, he actually played some really good passes. Dint hoof it till time dictated he had to.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

So then, we've all time to digest and analyze yesterdays game. So how good or how bad was yesterday. Well obviously it can be viewed in several different ways, but I'm going to come right out and say I thought we were excellent, barring the last 20 minutes!!! As I wrote in a thread yesterday prior to the game my heart was telling me that we could win the game but my head was telling me that Sutton being on a great run, I think they were unbeaten in 8/9 games, had the edge, so I did say I would be happy with the draw, and since thats what the ultimate result was then I cant really complain can I??? But being 2 - 0 up, completely dominating the game and threatening every time we got in sight of the goal, letting Sutton back into the game is hard to take. But lets be honest, they are not top of the league for nothing and they were always going to come and spoil the party. I still cant figure out what the hell went on for the first goal, I really need to see it again before I make any real comment, but I will say, and take the abuse, my initial thought was, where was Sam??? Their second goal reminded me of the parting of the red sea, where the hell did the defence go?? You could see it opening up right in front of your eyes!! The thing is, and I'm going to go back to an old chestnut of mine here, game management. We seem incapable of seeing a game out. Not for the first time this season I'll add. I can only imagine that Earing was feeling the effects of his recent injury when he came off, but his departure heralded our complete capitulation!!!! And that showed more than anything how weak our squad is at the moment, Hyde for Earing is not a good substitution, but sadly who else was there???? And thats whats going to cost us our push for the play offs if its not remedied very quickly. I know Woods & Allen were missing (dont get me started on that one), but as the game went into the last 10 mins Chadwicks legs were playing theyre own game of jelly on a plate!!!!! The lad had run himself to a standstill. All in all I say we had a good day against a very good team, who, when they decided to come out to play showed exactly why they will get promoted as champions, but by the time they did that we should have been out of sight at 4/5 nil.  

We played well and certainly deserved the win. Thought they would have been better than they were. 

However typical Halifax style as soon as it went 2-1 you knew we weren’t going to the win the game. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

We played well and certainly deserved the win. Thought they would have been better than they were. 

However typical Halifax style as soon as it went 2-1 you knew we weren’t going to the win the game. 

They were as good as we let them be for 70 minutes.

• Like 2

Yes, we were brilliant for just over an hour, and from 2 nil up, dropping 2 points is hard to take.

Tommy, you make some very good points about improving our game management, and I agree with you.

I do think Wild made a big mistake in subbing Earing so early. He may have been tiring after coming back from an injury, but I think we could have got another 10 minutes or so out of him. He was our main playmaker, and I'm sure Sutton were relieved to see him go off.

In my eyes, Wild was naive, and underestimated the League leaders. They aren't top and on a very long unbeaten run for nothing. We had made them look quite poor for 60 minutes, but to think that Sutton didn't have more in the locker, and wouldn't be able to  step up a gear and pull off a rousing comeback was a mistake. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Our formation, and the personnel on the field were working fine, why alter things at that stage?

Bringing Spence on might have been a better sub for Earing, because then we could have kept the same formation and shape. Hyde could then have been brought on for the flagging Chadwick at 75 or 80 minutes.

The unnecessary removal of Earing just seemed to hand the initiative over to Sutton. We became more defensive, and started to sit back. With nearly half an hour to go and against League leaders hungry and desperate to get something from the game, that was risky.

Final point. Both their goals came from corners. With a 6ft 4 goalkeeper, and 3 tall central defenders, we should be doing far better at defending corner kicks.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, oldskir said:

Yes, we were brilliant for just over an hour, and from 2 nil up, dropping 2 points is hard to take.

Tommy, you make some very good points about improving our game management, and I agree with you.

I do think Wild made a big mistake in subbing Earing so early. He may have been tiring after coming back from an injury, but I think we could have got another 10 minutes or so out of him. He was our main playmaker, and I'm sure Sutton were relieved to see him go off.

In my eyes, Wild was naive, and underestimated the League leaders. They aren't top and on a very long unbeaten run for nothing. We had made them look quite poor for 60 minutes, but to think that Sutton didn't have more in the locker, and wouldn't be able to  step up a gear and pull off a rousing comeback was a mistake. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Our formation, and the personnel on the field were working fine, why alter things at that stage?

Bringing Spence on might have been a better sub for Earing, because then we could have kept the same formation and shape. Hyde could then have been brought on for the flagging Chadwick at 75 or 80 minutes.

The unnecessary removal of Earing just seemed to hand the initiative over to Sutton. We became more defensive, and started to sit back. With nearly half an hour to go and against League leaders hungry and desperate to get something from the game, that was risky.

Final point. Both their goals came from corners. With a 6ft 4 goalkeeper, and 3 tall central defenders, we should be doing far better at defending corner kicks.

According to Wild, Earing brought off as precautionary due to him feeling his hamstring.  But as you say unnecessary substitution!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
12 minutes ago, oldskir said:

It is quite a weakness of Sams, for a big lad he should have better command of that 6 yard box, but just to balance up that critisism, his save down low to his right, where we cant say with any certainty that the ball wasnt over the line, was a top class save.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shaykehands said:

According to Wild, Earing brought off as precautionary due to him feeling his hamstring.  But as you say unnecessary substitution!

As Oldskir says, it should have been like for like, Spence for Earing, Hyde for AN Other, probably Chadwick at around 70/75 mins. Bad move by PW

15 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

It is quite a weakness of Sams, for a big lad he should have better command of that 6 yard box, but just to balance up that critisism, his save down low to his right, where we cant say with any certainty that the ball wasnt over the line, was a top class save.

Have to agree Sam should be wiping out anything in front of him at corners with his size, opposition players will only go in with him once if he shows some physical presence in the box.

• Like 3

Very interesting comments from Gareth Southgate after this evenings 2 - 0 win against Albania. Speaking specifically about the final 15 minutes of the game that England had dominated, (Ring any bells??) when asked how he felt the game had gone he said overall he was reasonably happy but, " I wasnt happy with how we Managed the final 15 mins, giving away needless free kicks, throw ins and long balls looking to attack" (Ring any bells yet??). And strangely enough, as I watched the game I was thinking this is like Da Ja Vu (summat like that), Albania all of a sudden wanted to come out to play and England were all over the place. So it happens, England got away with it and we didnt, but I was delighted to hear that even the England Manager agrees with me, sometimes regardless of the opposition you have to shut up shop and see the game out.

7 hours ago, oldskir said:

This is exactly what i would have done. Sutton were struggling to contain us in the 4231. Fair enough if Earing felt like he needed to come off but why change the system. The change to the 532 made us drop deeper and invite presure. Spence was worth a go in the Earing role and Hyde could have come on a bit later for a tiring Chadwick or maybe Williams/King with Chadwick moving to the wing. It was a very bad tactical change and i hope Wild has learnt a lesson from it.

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

...but I was delighted to hear that even the England Manager agrees with me, sometimes regardless of the opposition you have to shut up shop and see the game out.

And that's why England will never win anything under Southgate. When did you ever see Alex Ferguson shut up shop against Ipswich Town? Or Bolton Wanderers? Or even Liverpool? When did any of Town's title-winning sides invite continuous pressure for 20 minutes and not concede? I suppose the law of averages suggests it may have happened on odd occasions, but I would wager most successful sides play on the front foot and go out of their way not to invite pressure under anything but extreme circumstances.

• Like 1

On our day, and with all our players fit and available, we can put any side to the sword in this league. 

There is not a single team in this division, or any time that a game against any side in this league, where we should not feel like we can win. That is not to say we will always be the favourites, but we should never be setting up to steal a point, or to baton down the hatches. 

I have thought for a long time that what this team needs to do is actually go out and play football and not let other teams dictate the play. I think we often show the opposition too much respect and invite pressure onto us. We should instead be going toe to toe with every team at the very least and giving them the headaches. 

• Like 1

Tommy one thing I have learned from the last 2 games is that having Clarke in the centre of the back three makes it easier for the opposition to press. With Maher, Bradbury and Byrne we have a set of three players who are all comfortable on the ball and who are not afraid to go back to Sam to restart that phase of play, rather than give possession away. Watching Clarke, I cannot recall more than once when he played a pass to Sam when there was nothing on. 

Yes, he did play one or two short passes accurately, but too many times he was guilty of running out of ideas and getting closed down, and instead of playing to the style of play that has become successful for us since the start of December, he reverts to the old way of playing by trying to knock long balls over the top for someone to run onto. In most cases these passes ended up running out for goal kicks or going into touch, or worst still easily intercepted by grateful defenders who had time and space to get it under control.

At the same time Maher looks like a fish out of water in midfield, where he becomes far less effective than when playing with the action going on in front of him when he can step in and snuff out attacks or provide the outlet for the other CB's should they get closed down. It also helps him as captain, again because he can see everything in front of him, so he can bark orders out and organise better. He is capable of the "killer" pass, as seen when he put Earing through for the second goal, but I prefer to see him sweeping up at the back, especially while Summerfield is missing, winning balls and then laying them of to the midfield players to do the creative work. 

Clarke, did have a good game yesterday, he did one splendid block in the first half, and he won a lot of balls in the air, apart from the header which had own goal written all over it, but for me he adds less than we lose by moving Maher out of the back 3. With the absence of Woods yesterday, it was possibly the only option PW had with no real depth in midfield on the bench, so it could be construed as an enforced change.  

I think that playing to our strengths is how we will be able to at least reach the play offs, but this of course is all constrained by injuries, and in some cases by disciplinary records. Based on what I have seen in the last few games I would be happier to see Maher at the centre of a back 3 formation.