25 minutes ago, Flea said:

The taking the knee has gone from being a powerful statement to a footnote now - simply because it is now expected that everyone will do it prior to kickoff. It is no longer a protest in the sense that it is making a statement, it is more a requirement to be seen to be doing the right thing. It is nothing more but lip service now. 

There is quite clearly a problem with equality, even more so in the states than there is here, however these gestures now are not doing anything for the cause - if anything they are now turning people away from the debate on equality as its starting to now feel forced. 

What the solution to this is I don't know, but taking the knee now has lost all meaning. We need something that will unite people more than divide them. BLM the group are divisive and proven to not be fit for purpose, which is a shame as BLM as in "Black Lives Matter" is an important issue as we do need to tackle inequality. As with many things the fringe trying to show how woke they are, or those with other motives, hijack a proper movement and lose the majority of public support ( Look to extinction rebellion as a prior group that also did this - started off with a message most people would endorse, but end up pissing off 99% of the public they needed to get onside)

Yeh, tend to agree with you there, taking the knee has become symbolism rather than protest!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An unusually busy period for the Non League Paper's Caribbean correspondent.

'closet racists' being the operative phrase.

The booing is pathetic imo, but the BLM message - which is reasonable - has become inextricably tangled with the BLM organisation  - which has evolved into something way beyond what decent people can

44 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

Why should they have to resort to that? They should be allowed to have online profiles without having abuse thrown at them just for being there.

Along with everyone else but the fact is f*ckwits being f*ckwits will do social media baiting. I am on no social media apart from here, ergo no abuse......or very little:) The answer is in their own hands, it always was & still is possible to live without sharing every visit to the bog & every fart with the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, fez said:

Jamie away with the Montserrat team again, playing against US Virgin Islands today then Grenada next week.

Appears to be a step up from TJ's jolly to the big smoke:huh:

45 minutes ago, fez said:

Jamie away with the Montserrat team again, playing against US Virgin Islands today then Grenada next week.

When I dared to suggest that some clubs would have found an injury or excuse not to let Jamie go off on international duty, I was shouted down by some on here.

I don't think anyone can deny that after coming back from Monserrat duty, Jamie was well off his game.

On 3/30/2021 at 7:01 PM, chrisbo61 said:

Yeh, tend to agree with you there, taking the knee has become symbolism rather than protest!

Given the stance you normally take on egalitarian themes, I'd be mildly interested to read your explanation of the difference between the two, as you perceive it. Publicly booing players making a symbolic statement in support of racial equality makes it clear that the boo-ers have a problem with this as a principle. Booing the taking of the knee when the players on that pitch who are performing it are a mixed, racially diverse group who know from experience the problem to which they are responding, goes beyond mere boorishness and discourtesy, it is a national embarrassment.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Given the stance you normally take on egalitarian themes, I'd be mildly interested to read your explanation of the difference between the two, as you perceive it. Publicly booing players making a symbolic statement in support of racial equality makes it clear that the boo-ers have a problem with this as a principle. Booing the taking of the knee when the players on that pitch who are performing it are a mixed, racially diverse group who know from experience the problem to which they are responding, goes beyond mere boorishness and discourtesy, it is a national embarrassment.

Nothing wrong with symbolism! Its making a point!

The rest I agree with you.

1 hour ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

The booing is pathetic imo, but the BLM message - which is reasonable - has become inextricably tangled with the BLM organisation  - which has evolved into something way beyond what decent people can support - and this has created an opportunity for closet racists to claim that their booing isn't against the message but against the organisation inherently linked to it.

• Like 4

Back on the subject,Montserrat won 4-0,Allen was subbed in the 81st minute.Goals scored by Rohan Ince (Maidenhead),Adrian Clifton (Dagenham) and 2 for Nathan Pond,record appearances at Fleetwood,but currently on Fylde's books."Defender/midfielder" 6'3",aged 36,spent all his career in the north of England,has he ever been linked with Town?

2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

The booing is pathetic imo, but the BLM message - which is reasonable - has become inextricably tangled with the BLM organisation  - which has evolved into something way beyond what decent people can support - and this has created an opportunity for closet racists to claim that their booing isn't against the message but against the organisation inherently linked to it.

'closet racists' being the operative phrase.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, JC said:

Back on the subject,Montserrat won 4-0,Allen was subbed in the 81st minute.Goals scored by Rohan Ince (Maidenhead),Adrian Clifton (Dagenham) and 2 for Nathan Pond,record appearances at Fleetwood,but currently on Fylde's books."Defender/midfielder" 6'3",aged 36,spent all his career in the north of England,has he ever been linked with Town?

If we’ve played against him, he’s been linked with us!

• Haha 1

Allen played the whole game as 2 late goals from Forest's Lyle Taylor gave Montserrat a 2-1 win in Grenada.The best result so far for manager Willie Donachie - surely worth looking at as a possible replacement at left back for Danny Williams,even though he is 69.They're now 2nd in their group and in line for going through to the next round in the lengthy World Cup qualifying procedure.

Grenada's big man at the back is Aaron Pierre,over 200 FL games for Wycombe,Northampton and Shrewsbury.

Montserrat's next game is a Concacaf qualifier in Trinidad on July 3rd.Jamie's not getting much of a break.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:32 PM, fez said:

not a bad gig tbh, am cursing my lack of Caribbean relatives and football ability, although I did at Primary School score a hat-trick against the local Boys Brigade

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, vinnyweknuts said:

not a bad gig tbh, am cursing my lack of Caribbean relatives and football ability, although I did at Primary School score a hat-trick against the local Boys Brigade

Remember that game when they had three sent off.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dj funky said:

Remember that game when they had three sent off.

Who, the Primary School or the Boys Brigade? Brings back memories of the Deanfield v St Malachy's games with screaming hordes of kids from each school lining the touchlines. There was deffo none of the PC "every child is a winner" in those games. 

5 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Who, the Primary School or the Boys Brigade? Brings back memories of the Deanfield v St Malachy's games with screaming hordes of kids from each school lining the touchlines. There was deffo none of the PC "every child is a winner" in those games. 

Certainly do anything above grass was a fair tackle.

The schools do a great 7 a side comp with the final played at the Gala in July, filmed it every year and always one kid that stands out, Alex Stepney hands out the medals and as photos with the kids, the winning team do a lap of honour round the pitch and what bugs me most of the people watching do not even give them a round of applause because to busy drinking all day, very sad.