• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We put a statement out at 7pm yesterday saying we are stopping playing 

Love how fans are against clubs taking the loan option, but on the other hand are constantly demanding new signings without a thought of if the club has the money 

A loan of let's say £100k over 10 years plus a 2% ror, would be slightly over £10k a year,  or more or less £1k a month over the course of the season. That is £250 a week. At NLN that is a v

6 minutes ago, StVn1987 said:

Furlough all players and staff and state they will fulfil no more national League fixtures until funding is sourced / approved. 

First step towards null and void national League.

The league will dither and procrastinate and then take the sensible option of expunging Dover's playing record for this season, as was done for Macclesfield, and everyone else will play on to the conclusion. IMO. 

Yeah not so sure, now Dover have taken the first leap I would expect others to soon follow suit, namely the non sugar daddy clubs for the few that do remain.

I expect the league will dither, procrastinate and then null and void the season.

Edited by StVn1987
28 minutes ago, StVn1987 said:

Yeah not so sure, now Dover have taken the first leap I would expect others to soon follow suit, namely the non sugar daddy clubs for the few that do remain.

I expect the league will dither, procrastinate and then null and void the season.

What would be the point of the first grant that was given if the season then just gets sent down the river. 

At the end of the day. Dover only get one vote just because they have downed tools does not mean their vote holds any more weight. 

The question I keep asking myself is are their more than half the teams in this league that want to carry on and in my opinion that is the case. 

Now Dover I believe have applied for a grant I'm sure I've read that somewhere surely if they are that close to the wall they will get that. 

Dover gone, results expunged. Great news to us as we haven’t played them yet.

If teams at the bottom want to throw their toys out of the pram let them with automatic relegation the consequence. I doubt they’d be saying the same if they were near the top or a rich benefactor came in with 20mil on the same terms.

I do remember they were struggling before the season began.

The majority of teams will crack on and that is the right decision with only 2 and a half months leftZ

Edited by Ash
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Ash said:

If teams at the bottom want to throw their toys out of the pram let them with automatic relegation the consequence. I doubt they’d be saying the same if they were near the top or a rich benefactor came in with 20mil on the same terms.

The majority of teams will crack on and that is the right decision with only 2 and a half months leftZ

Ash no one knows what we have decided yet.

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Season ends last weekend in May so its 3 and half months away. Thats alot of salarys to pay with next to no funding. Currently the furlough option would cover 2 of those months.

I can fully understand why Dover have made the call they have. Yes their league position will have played a part but why burden yourself with debt and relegation when you could just accept the lesser?

I'd like to know DB thoughts on the situation? I bet he's 50/50 as stands. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Kay Shay-ra Shay-Ra said:

Problem is DB is kinda screwed both ways.

We have played no home games so the rise in season ticket price vs £10 a steam may mean people may ask for refunds.

Plus if he votes against to continue that will go against his manager, go to complete and no funding comes it will cost him a lot of money. From a selfish point of view I would vote to continue but it´s not my money.

16 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Plus if he votes against to continue that will go against his manager, go to complete and no funding comes it will cost him a lot of money. From a selfish point of view I would vote to continue but it´s not my money.

Every player and manager in the league will want ro carry on, I'm sure even Dovers will be fed up today. Wild isn't paying the bills so if DB goes aginst him he'll deal with it.

I don't know the finer details of our accounts but if its not cost efffective to continue I'd have no problem with us voting to void.

The fact we 'could' still make the play offs does not change anything for me. I don't want us taking on debt in the hope we might make it to the FL. Were not what I'd call in a strong position anyway, could easily drift toward lower mid table as a play offf spot.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Should the league continue and Dover results expunged we move up to 8thh

Without doing a full table update, if the Dover results were expunged then Bromley and Aldershot would have less points than Town. This would put us back up to 11th. Aldershot would have played the same number of games as us (20) and Bromley would have a game in hand.

We would also benefit by teams above us dropping points as well:

Wrexham 29 points (same number of games)

BHW 29 points (1 game in hand)

Altrincham 30 points (played 2 games more)

The only odd ball team is Solihull who would drop to 23 points but with 4 games in hand.

I'm surprised more teams haven't downed tools before now tbh. I guess now Dover have set the precedent others will follow....

I'm guessing the others might wait a week or two to see what happens or is handed out to Dover by the National League before deciding.

If a good half dozen down tools then I'm thinking it makes no difference if over half want to carry on playing, I think it will be season end.

On a side note I don't blame Dover, yes they are a bit adrift at the bottom so it could be argued they are keen for a void season and a restart next season but they also want to avoid further debt and should be applauded for making a moral stand.

Edited by Grayski
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Grayski said:

I'm surprised more teams haven't downed tools before now tbh. I guess now Dover have set the precedent others will follow....

I'm guessing the others might wait a week or two to see what happens or is handed out to Dover by the National League before deciding.

If a good half dozen down tools then I'm thinking it makes no difference if over half want to carry on playing, I think it will be season end.

On a side note I don't blame Dover, yes they are a bit adrift at the bottom so it could be argued they are keen for a void season and a restart next season but they also want to avoid further debt and should be applauded for making a moral stand.

When you also look at the teams lingering around the bottom it will be interesting to see how many of them follow suit.

We are only annoyed because we are sitting pretty and doing ok, had we been sat rock bottom we would all be asking why we were playing on and calling for us to pack up playing, null void etc.

The sensible thing would be to unfortunately null and void the seaso, start the new season hopefully with fans in attendance. Dover alone the league will possibly take a tough stance however I can't see it being long before the likes of Weymouth, Wealdstone et Al jump on the furlough bandwagon especially if the league dither with deciding what to do with Dover.

I think the game changer will be if the Govt step in and make the funding available as grants and not loans. Dover probably have a good case for asking for a grant instead of a loan, but it depends on what the criteria being set is. If clubs can show that compared to previous seasons they have taken a massive hit, mainly due to no crowds, then as like the hospitality sector and others such as airlines, then a continued bailout should be offered. 

When the original decision to even start the season was made it was based on 2 assumptions, one being we would have crowds back n the grounds before Xmas and the second was the Govt, or Lottery as was done, would fund the gap in income up to Xmas.

WE now have the situation, where the crowds are still missing, clubs have little or no income and the grants have dried up. Any other industry or business would be dropping the shutters now, as continuation of the season makes no commercial sense. Unless funding is provided rapidly, then more clubs will have to do the same as Dover, otherwise they would be trading from an insolvent position, plus they would have to saddle the clubs with debt for years to come. Don't forget that even with a rich Chairman, the money they pump into any club is done so as a loan, not a gift. Unless of course they have millions in the bank and see their club as a worthwhile charity.

What guarantee has been given to the clubs about loans? Are they to be given out with little or no controls like the Bounce Back controls? Are they underwritten by the govt or the clubs? Where is the transparency and clarity over what the govt is offering the NL clubs?

Edited by ITMAN
  • Like 1

Strictly speaking, Dover should be relegated automatically now.

Whatever the later outcome might be regarding the season continuing or not.

Dover have effectively broken the rules by refusing to play. Relegation should be the only consequence.

As far as we're concerned, maybe Bosomworth should make some sort of statement. He could at least fill us in on whether we have applied for a grant, when we did it, and how long it might be before a decision.

Any Halifax fan considering asking for a part season ticket refund in the event of ending the season now, needs to reflect on the damaging consequence that would have on our much loved club's financial situation.

The National League are taking far too long in getting the vote decision sorted out.

However, I do wonder if some tactical brinkmanship may be going on. Doing the utmost to get GRANTS for the clubs. And the Dover issue might have the private blessing of the League, as of course it shows the Government that they would be having to shell out in furlough money instead.

24 minutes ago, oldskir said:

Strictly speaking, Dover should be relegated automatically now.

Whatever the later outcome might be regarding the season continuing or not.

Dover have effectively broken the rules by refusing to play. Relegation should be the only consequence.

As far as we're concerned, maybe Bosomworth should make some sort of statement. He could at least fill us in on whether we have applied for a grant, when we did it, and how long it might be before a decision.

Any Halifax fan considering asking for a part season ticket refund in the event of ending the season now, needs to reflect on the damaging consequence that would have on our much loved club's financial situation.

The National League are taking far too long in getting the vote decision sorted out.

However, I do wonder if some tactical brinkmanship may be going on. Doing the utmost to get GRANTS for the clubs. And the Dover issue might have the private blessing of the League, as of course it shows the Government that they would be having to shell out in furlough money instead.

I like the theory that the NL may be using Dover as a stalking horse, in order to see what reaction this generates from the DCMS. They will have a use case for what the financial impact is if clubs in the NL were to furlough all of their staff and players. It would give an accurate estimate of what would be seen as a fair trade off in terms of a budget for grants that could be given to clubs to play on rather than shut up shop.

They must take into account the non-financial benefits of keeping at least the NL going in terms of the mental wellbeing of fans, who are taking the strain under lockdown rules. For me it is more or less all there is to look forward to on a weekly basis, after working all week, in a far from ideal circumstances. There has to be something to provide "relaxation" for everyone.

• Like 1

I for one will be asking for a refund. And I will feel no shame. I`m not a tight sod at all but I, along with lots of other fans have paid a lot of money for a service that I have not received. I didn`t ask for the refund last season. The streaming has been OK but not great. Just write this season off and start again. 

I really don`t know what the solution is but I`m not going to finance it. 

• Like 2

I honestly think the season should be null and void. The government went against there own criteria when at the last minute they started the season with no fans allowed in grounds thus putting all clubs under severe financial pressure. Ok we have streaming but to most clubs, especially at our level and below this hasn't bought in as much cash as expected and because the system was bought in at the last minute and untried there were/are problems. The grants have helped but have now dried up and loans could end up putting clubs in financial dire straights when they need repaying.

We are well run club with an astute chairman but even Mr B will have his limits and if we carry on the way things are how long will it be before he reaches his limit? What happens then? Will he just walk away? Wait for a buyer or hope for an investor to come on board or see if the Supporters club will take over the running of the club?

Is it really worth taking the risk of losing our club because of the current situation and the ineptitude of the government against an outside chance of qualifying for the play offs?

This season should never have started, it's that simple really. It's been a fiasco from day one. Much as we dont particularly like the Premier league, there has been enough, and continues to be enough football available for people to get their "fix". But what would you rather have, our club being driven into the ground, or a fresh start with clubs in a financially stable situation, or as stable as it can be at this level. Just shut it down now and start again when it's safe to do so and with fans back in the grounds, teams being supported like they should be, the streaming has been ok, but it's soulless and as I've said before, sadly there is no real affiliation with the players, and thats a real shame because we have some really good young lads and I would have loved to have seen them live. But some will move on never having played at the Shay as it should be. There is one thing for certain though, whatever happens moving forward, there needs to be some massive changes to the way that these lower leagues operate!! Is it really viable these days to have teams travelling like they do?? The cost of Town travelling to Dover or Torquay must run to thousands of pounds that clubs like ours dont have!! What about Dover travelling to Hartlepool or Barrow (I know), It just isnt viable. I think the North/South scenario needs looking at, with playoff systems in place. Something has to change, and if recent events have told us anything, this is definately one of them.

• Like 2