This player had a prolific scoring record scoring 138 goals in 210 appearances. Leaving school he played local league football but was monitored by several lower league clubs before signing professional forms for his home town club at 17 yrs old. He made his debut aged 18 and in his second outing he netted a hat-trick. It wasnt very long before the big clubs started calling, he played 46 games for the club scoring an incredible 28 goals. His transfer to the big time made him one of the most expensive players in British football. And he didnt disappoint in his ability to find the net, he scored 2 on his debut and went on to score 112 goals in 166 appearances. There is a bizarre side story to his transfer deal. He was capped by his country 19 times in his short career, but just as with his clubs his prolific scoring shone out, he scored 16 goals in those 19 games!!! He scored 2 International Hat-tricks. Ok Gents, Usual Rules Please!!!! And if you think you know the answer PM me and I will acknowledge and I will put the answer on tomorrow.

1 hour ago, born to moan said:

I would have thought the Man Utd armchair supporters would have been all over this.

Probably not many on here remember the Busby babes.

Another one taken too young!

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, rdj said:

Probably not many on here remember the Busby babes.

Another one taken too young!

Actually bought a morning paper to take to school to see who had survived.

the eight players who died players who perished were Geoff Bent (aged 25), Roger Byrne (28), Eddie Colman (21), Duncan Edwards (21), Mark Jones (24), David Pegg (22), Tommy Taylor (26) and Liam Whelan (22). Edwards, considered by many to be the finest player of his generation, died 15 days after the accident.

• Like 1

Well done lads, I was getting worried that no one was gonna have a go, BtM, thanks for the message!! Very true though RDJ, some incredible talent wiped out in an instant and all so young. The lad in the question had just got engaged the week previous. Tragic beyond words really.

• Like 1
Just now, Steve Lanzarote said:

Man U were given special dispensation  to sign a couple of players due to the disaster Stan Crowther from Aston Villa & Ernie Taylor from Blackpool.

It fascinated me when I read Bobby Charltons Autobiography that none of the survivors or family members or club staff were offered any kind of councilling. Can you imagine that in this world we live in nowadays?? And once Bobby was back fit and playing, Man U continued to play in Europe, and Bobby was playing for England, no-one ever asked him if he was ok to get on a plane let alone fly in one?? Amazing really even for back then.

• Like 1