When You Were A Kid

TommyH72

I have had many cars over the last 40 odd years I have had a license, but the most enjoyable 2 have both been Toyota Prius's. Every time I took them in for a service the mechanics all wanted to work on them, as by the time I replaced them they had both done over 250,000 miles. Totally reliable and fuel economy I cannot get from my new diesel estate.   

6 hours ago, ITMAN said:

I have had many cars over the last 40 odd years I have had a license, but the most enjoyable 2 have both been Toyota Prius's. Every time I took them in for a service the mechanics all wanted to work on them, as by the time I replaced them they had both done over 250,000 miles. Totally reliable and fuel economy I cannot get from my new diesel estate.   

I've had two, 1st gen and 4th gen, and I loved them both. I inherited the first from my father-in-law but in total it did just under 10 years service and never needed anything other than a change of tyres. Went to the UK and back at least twice a year in its later years, plus we took it to Spain, Croatia and Switzerland. Had it doing 185kph in Germany, and drove it up very steep mountainside dirt tracks in Austria and Spain that were no wider than the car itself. Never in doubt, not sure I'd trust the car I have now to do the same.

Almost totalled my brand new second Prius about two weeks after getting it, a HGV went into the right rear side cutting me off on a roundabout in the UK. Took almost six months to fix but we still got 30k miles out of it in that first year before I swapped it for a Hilux, an absolute beast of a vehicle. I'd still have the Hilux now were it not for its serious drinking problem.

Traded the Hilux in and I had a choice between the latest Prius or the new Corolla hybrid, and made the wrong choice - took the Corolla because it meant I got a couple of grand cash from the trade-in. Only good thing about it is the adaptive cruise control which was a later version than what the Prius had.

The only bad thing I have to say about both of the Prius cars is that they were absolutely crap in snow. Once took Gav to Charleroi airport and we skidded almost the whole way there.

3 hours ago, Hoddie said:

I've had two, 1st gen and 4th gen, and I loved them both. I inherited the first from my father-in-law but in total it did just under 10 years service and never needed anything other than a change of tyres. Went to the UK and back at least twice a year in its later years, plus we took it to Spain, Croatia and Switzerland. Had it doing 185kph in Germany, and drove it up very steep mountainside dirt tracks in Austria and Spain that were no wider than the car itself. Never in doubt, not sure I'd trust the car I have now to do the same.

Almost totalled my brand new second Prius about two weeks after getting it, a HGV went into the right rear side cutting me off on a roundabout in the UK. Took almost six months to fix but we still got 30k miles out of it in that first year before I swapped it for a Hilux, an absolute beast of a vehicle. I'd still have the Hilux now were it not for its serious drinking problem.

Traded the Hilux in and I had a choice between the latest Prius or the new Corolla hybrid, and made the wrong choice - took the Corolla because it meant I got a couple of grand cash from the trade-in. Only good thing about it is the adaptive cruise control which was a later version than what the Prius had.

The only bad thing I have to say about both of the Prius cars is that they were absolutely crap in snow. Once took Gav to Charleroi airport and we skidded almost the whole way there.

Hoddie, yes, the driving in snow and ice was a nightmare due to the computer driven braking system. I eventually tracked down a way to disengage it by keying in a sequence of things on the onboard computer. Other than that I like you went all over Europe, brought back dozens of bottle of wine and cases of beer from Spain and still used to get nearly 60mpg cruising at 80mph on the autoroutes.

I only moved away from the Prius when they brought out the last but one version because it had a horrible plastic looking centre console, and at the time the Corolla Sports estate did not have an hybrid option. Unfortunately, I listened to the gov advice at the time that we should switch to diesel, and bought a Passat estate. Nice car, built like a tank but boy is it boring to drive. Only good thing is the adaptive cruise control, but that has quirks which until you know what they are can catch you out and could possibly be dangerous.   

29 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Very unlikely a Porshe would have been on my shopping list anyway for a variety of reasons but am sure they will not want to lose sales to those that do.......along with BMW, VW & Mercedes.

BMW have already sent a delegation to the German gov saying they have to do a deal otherwise BMW would lose millions.

1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

BMW have already sent a delegation to the German gov saying they have to do a deal otherwise BMW would lose millions.

its in everyone's interest to get a trade deal of sorts with the eu!

A lot of politicians need to ditch the egos and actuslly tbink of the people they represent!

1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

It's estimated that 700,000 jobs would be lost across the EU because of Brexit. But that's nothing compared to the jobs that will be lost if they allow Chinese manufacturers a back door entry via the UK. It's really that simple, and BoJo knows it's that simple, he's just choosing to pretend the EU is being unreasonable because it plays well politically in the UK.

Just now, Hoddie said:

It's estimated that 700,000 jobs would be lost across the EU because of Brexit. But that's nothing compared to the jobs that will be lost if they allow Chinese manufacturers a back door entry via the UK. It's really that simple, and BoJo knows it's that simple, he's just choosing to pretend the EU is being unreasonable because it plays well politically in the UK.

Correct.