Jump to content

When You Were A Kid


TommyH72
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Lammie said:

Ideal car when I was a lad the “Bullitt” Mustang. When I lived in Sydney I had a Holden Monaro for a while. Not many people saw that off. These days sadly it’s the boring option.....

38EC0167-E7B6-49ED-813E-B82882DF0258.jpeg

Nice motor. A mate of mine had an American car a few years ago, big thing that went lick split s--t, but it was so tinny inside. And he couldnt go anywhere in it that would mean leaving it otherwise it would probably have disappeared.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

Nice motor. A mate of mine had an American car a few years ago, big thing that went lick split s--t, but it was so tinny inside. And he couldnt go anywhere in it that would mean leaving it otherwise it would probably have disappeared.

Great car, just dont try and go round any corners!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drove Pacific highway1 San Francisco to Los Angeles in a convertible Mustang a few years ago, one off the bucket list & the Mustang a pleasant surprise, automatic, totally effortless, fun & did go round bends remarkably well, fuel consumption far better than expected too, totally bonkers & OTT, would have one but completely impractical in UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

The Lotus Cortina was a pretty good car too.

Good friend of mine worked for Lotus in Norfolk. In face he was one of the drivers who took the Europas down to Italy for the Bond film. Anyway, Lotus decided to put one of their engines in a Talbot. He came to ours one day in this nondescript looking car and took me out in it. We were coming back from chain bar and a car looked like it wanted to pass. John put his foot down and whoosh see you later! I think the chap must have thought he had his handbrake on!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to have a Fiat 127 paid £65 for it. It was Lime green with a blue bonnet and blue drivers door. The passenger door was welded closed all passengers had to get in and out of drivers door. When it rained heavy I had a 3inch puddle inside.The inner wings were rotten. I ran it for nine months, it never let me down. I then got the best car I ever had a Datsun Bluebird.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Lammie said:

Good friend of mine worked for Lotus in Norfolk. In face he was one of the drivers who took the Europas down to Italy for the Bond film. Anyway, Lotus decided to put one of their engines in a Talbot. He came to ours one day in this nondescript looking car and took me out in it. We were coming back from chain bar and a car looked like it wanted to pass. John put his foot down and whoosh see you later! I think the chap must have thought he had his handbrake on!

Yep, mate of mine had a sunbeam lotus, cornered flatter than any car I've been in!  He rallied it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some reason, in 1971, my dad bought a three-wheeler Berkeley. The first time he took it out, it got a puncture, then the bottom was so low that he couldn't get it over the camber of the driveway. It had a tarpaulin roof with press studs, didn't go very fast, and was a nuisance when it was windy. He didn't keep it long. He sold it to a chap in Derby, who must have thought it was the worst £60 he ever spent. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was never into cars at all, I'm on my 4th now and I still have no interest beyond the practicality of them. I do miss my Toyota Hilux though, but had to get rid as it drank more diesel than my dad did beer, and that's saying something. Plus my application to join ISIS was turned down.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Was never into cars at all, I'm on my 4th now and I still have no interest beyond the practicality of them. I do miss my Toyota Hilux though, but had to get rid as it drank more diesel than my dad did beer, and that's saying something. Plus my application to join ISIS was turned down.

I've been driving since 81 and had 27 cars, sometimes more than one at a time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

I'm a caraholic!

Actually had my first car a couple of years before I passed my test!

A Renault 12 estate, 1971 model! Paid £20 for it!lol

£20 - a bargain!!  Cheapest I ever bought was £25, an old Anglia.  Wife wanted to learn to drive and I didn't want her trying in my (relatively) new car.  Set off on first lesson, 100 yards down the road, turned left at lights, driver's door flew open.  She decided on "proper" lessons after that.:D  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, bazza45 said:

£20 - a bargain!!  Cheapest I ever bought was £25, an old Anglia.  Wife wanted to learn to drive and I didn't want her trying in my (relatively) new car.  Set off on first lesson, 100 yards down the road, turned left at lights, driver's door flew open.  She decided on "proper" lessons after that.:D  

Ha ha, I started teaching the first wife to drive in a beetle, she let the clutch out, drove straight into a wall!

New wing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just counted up in my head, and if I've counted them all correct then I've had 30 cars since 1974!! Some real humdingers over the years, some really really bad ones over the years, real rust buckets, one van I had didnt have any floor left in the passenger mat well and no wheel arch over the back wheel in the back!!! I really dont know how I drove that van!! I have progressed up the ranks since then and I think thats why I really appreciate the cars I got now. But I never realised I'd had 30, and if anything it might be slightly more than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...