When You Were A Kid

TommyH72

I know this is going back an awful long way for some of us on here, but when you were a kid what was your dream car?? Unlike today not very many of our families had cars on the estate where I grew up, but I remember one guy had one of these and I used to look at it at dream that one day I might have one. Sadly never did get one as the world moved on and as I'm no mechanic I've never bought one as a cheeky treat classic car, but theres time yet!!! I just love Triumph Heralds.

_triumph-herald.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

I know this is going back an awful long way for some of us on here, but when you were a kid what was your dream car?? Unlike today not very many of our families had cars on the estate where I grew up, but I remember one guy had one of these and I used to look at it at dream that one day I might have one. Sadly never did get one as the world moved on and as I'm no mechanic I've never bought one as a cheeky treat classic car, but theres time yet!!! I just love Triumph Heralds.

_triumph-herald.jpg

My mum had a white triumph herald .. it was her dream car then 

later she had an MGB  and then an MGBGT 

and later still an XJS .. 

not many passed her on the motorway .. amazed she in her life never got a speeding ticket .. 

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

My mum had a white triumph herald .. it was her dream car then 

later she had an MGB  and then an MGBGT 

and later still an XJS .. 

not many passed her on the motorway .. amazed she in her life never got a speeding ticket .. 

Oh man, lucky lady!!! She would definitely get tickets these days with all the cameras!!! I keep getting done! bUt she certainly had some great cars there Nick.

Had that in maroon when I was 20? always remember it cost me 684 pounds 3/6d.

Later in life I had a MGC and the XJS (unfortunately mechanic wise worst car I ever had it ended up with a photograph in the Sunday people listing all the faults I had had with it)

Edited by Steve Lanzarote

7 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Had that in maroon when I was 20? always remember it cost me 684 pounds 3/6d.

Later in life I had a MGC and the XJS (unfortunately mechanic wise worst car I ever had it ended up with a photograph in the Sunday people listing all the faults I had had with it)

I always thought that Jags were supposed to be really good mechanically sound motors?? Stunning looking car though the XJS

23 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

I liked these when I was a kid, and was lucky enough to drive a Cortina and a Granada in the 70s and 80s.

Capri.jpg

Now your talking TMWWT, not really a kid, but when I was a teenager I just lusted after one of these!! Even to this day when I see one i want one. Ford Capris in good nick are worth a fortune nowadays, wife wont let me have one though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

My all time favourite cars(3) Jag XK120-!953 Flying Spur-Jenson CV8.

Lot-Art | 1952 Jaguar XK120 Fixed Head Coupe

image.jpeg.9f37ce8ad232ca72cbeb35f5bd67a15b.jpeg

image.jpeg.0bc3053d14894f7686e731269fd7c943.jpeg

Fantastic cars! I love the Roller, I almost bought myself a Rolls Royce Phantom a little while ago. I tried to convince the wife that if we were setting off somewhere then we might as well travel in style, but women just dont seem to get it, well not the women I've been involved with??? Like when I decided I wanted a Porche 911 Turbo Carrerra, the best she could come up with was "When we go to Asda, where we going to put the shopping"???? No sense of style whatsoever!!!

9d8f9b09f7f14d8cbe4b7879066f62ff.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ColinCanberra said:

Mom dad never had a car only motor bikes.  But dad once had a three wheeler Bond.  Bought my first motorbike with money saved from my paper round an Excelsior 197.  Wish I had it today. 

Only bike I had was a Yammy 50 when I turned 16. It was bloody great fun and getting to the Perc Whit Tech was so much easier. I never pursued the bike route as I felt safer in cars once I got my licence, but most of my friends are bikers and theres always been that feeling that i missed out.

1 hour ago, ColinCanberra said:

Mom dad never had a car only motor bikes.  But dad once had a three wheeler Bond.  Bought my first motorbike with money saved from my paper round an Excelsior 197.  Wish I had it today. 

Had loads of bikes fav. Triumph tiger image.jpeg.7c3527705ef7cc490e33b4614e7feeb1.jpeg

Still had a bike upto 3 years ago and involved in an accident wagon did not see me, My wifes reaction SELL IT NOW bellowed around Lanzarote.

image.jpeg.dacd4dec1e3e37d53366088eb7b56a6c.jpeg

• Like 1

Going back to the original post, I had a Triumph Herald back in the 60's, not open top but I loved it but did have more than a few reliability issues.

My favourite car / car I would love is a pink Cadillac, open top, 1950's/60's style.  My wife says I would be travelling alone if  got one.  At least I'd be able to listen to Bob Dylan without any moaning!!

• Haha 2

One that my my Dad didn't spend every daylight hour underneath & we actually reached our destination in one go.

My own was a Daimler Dart or possibly an E Type, in reality it was an old Mini.

Similar to Lanzo Steve cars became a means of transport & motorbikes became my passion & similar to Steve recently retired due to advancing years but not to be defeated................now have a rag top for fun:D

• Like 2