Signings and Losses from each conference club

royals1922

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't say I know what Neil Young has been doing, but I doubt very much he'd get the scouting job then sit at home each evening watching Corrie because he's been working his day job during the day.

You forget the stadium roar, their twelfth man. 

Great news for us—Maidenhead United's prolific striker Dave Tarpey has signed for Barnet tonight on the hour.

Absolutely crucial game on Monday. Guiseley at home to Hartlepool.

Chadders has reported that Guiseley had a long 1 hour plus clear the air session after the Town loss.

Hartlepool lost 0-2 at home to Fylde.

I was surprised Harrison was still there after Saturday.

I'm not sure even a draw saves Harrison tomorrow  while Guisely can't afford to lose a fellow bottom side.

It will be medieval....... 

In news from the lower leagues, top 3 in the North are Harrogate, Brackley and Salford with Southport, Spennymoor, Darlington and Tamworth rounding out the top 7 while York and Stockport are 8th and 9th.

Our conference final opponents Chorley are 20th and newly relegated NFU 21st............

More squad shaping.

Aldershot after a few hiccups have got 2 on loan (McDonnell and Foster) from ipswich, Solihull have resigned Liam Daly from Kidderminster, Hartlepool have got a young defender on loan, Ledger, from Sunderland, Fylde have lost 2 from last years squad in Casper and Michael Hughes, Gateshead have transferred Ajala to Dartford and Orient have sent E and A Scales out on loan.

The action for non league teams is likely to start when the league transfer window closes.  There will be some league players still looking for clubs who could benefit clubs like us if they are prepared to go p/t.. 

Just on Dave Tarpey, late of Maidenhead. He turned down Coventry before signing for Barnet. 

And he gave his reasons to a Coventry newspaper, which I quote,  which are instructive, because he mentions the full time, part time issue:

The ex-Farnborough Town striker said: “I went up to Coventry City, had a tour of the ground and facilities and then sat down with them.

“They made me an offer, and I had to weigh it up.

"When it came down to it, I just couldn’t make it work."

Tarpey added: "I would have had to leave my job obviously, and also relocate.

"Relocation wasn’t the issue, but I have a mortgage and without going into exact figures I would have been worse off."

“When you look at it, I earn from working full-time, playing at Maidenhead and I would have had to stay in Coventry for a good part of the week."

"I don’t rent down here, so it was a big decision."

“It’s not all about money."

"But I have a young boy called Jack who is 19 months old, a fiancée and I can’t afford to just say ‘sod it, I’ll earn less money’ – life doesn’t work like that and I had to be sensible about the whole situation and not dive in head-first."

Tarpey continued: “It was one of those things, I had to turn it down and only time will tell if that was the right thing to do."

"I know Coventry are a big club so I had to really think long and hard about it."

"In the end it just couldn’t work, however hard I tried to make things come together."

“That doesn’t mean I will never go full-time and it doesn’t mean I lack ambition.

"I’m 28 and I still want to play in the Football League.

"It’s a big ambition of mine and always will be.”

From the horse's mouth, folks, and his words could be the words of any part time footballer.

He still got to league football, even at 28, but life sometimes gets in the way.................

And Barnet is a lot closer to Maidenhead than Coventry is.

Read this moan from McCarthy, the manager of Chester after their 1-1 draw:

“We’re a team with one of lowest budgets in the league and people should recognise when this group gets fit, that’s when you start to enjoy the team.

“When I have everybody fit, we win games. If you look back to last season, it’s the same situation. What I do is manage in difficult circumstances and when I have everybody fit... (last season) 17 games unbeaten, it’s a new club record, eight clean sheets... that stuff shouldn't disappear out of history.

“I just want to people to recognise what the situation is at the club. We don’t have a training ground, we don’t have adequate medical back-up to support the unbelievable work that our people do.

“Our small squad means injuries are more difficult for us but I promise you when I get all these players fit, with some game time under their belt, you’ll see the best Chester team have had.”

2 hours ago, AFC Halifax said:

Wow is me. They massively overspent to gain promotion to the national league and have made some poor managerial appointments 

A public moan like McCarthy's will not endear himself the board  who he is trying to keep on side.

If I were  a more cynical man, I would suspect he is trying to get himself sacked so as that he can get compensation. 

1 hour ago, royals1922 said:

A game of huge importance  up coming with Solihull playing Chester.

The last match of similar importance being Guiseley v Hartlepool which cost Lockwood his job.

This Solihull v Chester match has similar ramifications.

From our point of view it's good to see a few sides struggling already. We just have to keep picking up points and get over the 50 point mark and then set new goals. We've drawn 1 and beaten 2 of those teams so that's good. If we can beat Hartlepool away then we've done well. I know we are at the other end of the table but we've got some hard games coming up.

1 minute ago, Erik Everhard said:

From our point of view it's good to see a few sides struggling already. We just have to keep picking up points and get over the 50 point mark and then set new goals. We've drawn 1 and beaten 2 of those teams so that's good. If we can beat Hartlepool away then we've done well. I know we are at the other end of the table but we've got some hard games coming up.

Agreed. With a little bit of luck and with our skill we beat Maidenhead and we get another 3 crucial points.

I've already  done some preliminary work on Orient and given that we haven't beaten them, from memory, back to 1988\9 in a league game and some of the numbers I've seen, that will be one tough game. Still don't want to get ahead of myself, it's one game at a time.

15 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

Agreed. With a little bit of luck and with our skill we beat Maidenhead and we get another 3 crucial points.

I've already  done some preliminary work on Orient and given that we haven't beaten them, from memory, back to 1988\9 in a league game and some of the numbers I've seen, that will be one tough game. Still don't want to get ahead of myself, it's one game at a time.

Last beat them in 85/86/87 & 88.....

Archived