Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

max'n'paddy

Sale Of The Shay

The rugby club try and rule the roost and ride roughshod over the football club with Croad, Harvey and Abbott at the head of the club. Sell the ground/Shay estate to one of these (Tony Abbott) and do we honestly expect to be treated as equal tenants?

So without having to do a load of reading/digging, what are the cold hard FACTS at this stage?

What do we know, what do we think we know and what don't we know?

Once we know where we stand, its the first step in trying to sort it out. There seems to be a fair bit of guess work and two plus two going on, so can someone put the facts down and lets see where we are.

So without having to do a load of reading/digging, what are the cold hard FACTS at this stage?

Once we know where we stand, its the first step in trying to sort it out. There seems to be a fair bit of guess work and two plus two going on, so can someone put the facts down and lets see where we are.

Chadders. 90% chance it's bad news but I want to know exactly how it isn't.

See attached the letter I sent to the Council regarding the potential sale of the Shay and the response I received below. I think its pretty fair to say its a done deal.

attachicon.gifTheShay (1).pdf

Dear Mr Butler,

Thank you for your email on this matter.

I agree that the Shay Stadium is an important asset for Halifax and the borough as a whole. As you identify, it has been now run by a number of years by the Council and has received considerable investment in both capital and revenue terms. I think it is important to state that the condition of the stadium in relation to both its fabric, its safety and its finances was of real concern on all fronts when the Communities Directorate took on responsibility for the building in 2010.

Gary Byrnes and his team have worked tirelessly to secure further investment to make the stadium safe, and to provide modern good quality facilities for both clubs and for wider use. We can now see the impact of this as we have completed preparations for the Rugby League World Cup game in November, and I am sure you saw the positive coverage about this in the Halifax Courier.

We have received an expression of interest in the stadium which was unsolicited and is currently being considered. This is being considered balancing the need to ensure future sporting and community use of the stadium, but also mindful that the ongoing subsidy and capital costs are difficult to sustain given the unprecedented budget savings we are currently making. As I am sure you will appreciate, when priority frontline services are being cut back, and jobs being lost, we regularly receive concern and criticism from Councillors and local people about the cost of the facility.

Finally, in relation to registering the building as an asset of community value, it has not been registered as such. I have received your subsequent letter and I have contacted Stephen Hoyle who leads on these matters and who I have shared it with. We have an agreed process which is attached here

www.calderdale.gov.uk/community/advice/community-rights/bid.html

As you may be aware, if your organisation meets the criteria you can submit an application which we have to assess within 8 weeks. What this does is if the Council intends to sell the building, provide a period of up to 6 months to enable an alternative offer to come forward and funding secured for this. There is no obligation on the landowner to withdraw an asset for sale or to sell to any specific party as a result of this.

I hope this information is helpful and please contact Steve at the email address above if you require further information.

Robin Tuddenham

Director of Communities and Business Change

Excellent letter Gav, and some very crucial information.

I'm taking the recipients of your letter didn't accept it as a formal application for the Shay to be recognised as an Assett of Community Value? Because form what I see that is the first step that needs to be taken.

In the meantime would it be wise for as many of us to join the Supporters' Trust, if not only to organise and prepare for a counter bid that would open negotiations with Tony Abbott and co.

It is sinister that until now only rumours have circulated form which we could make mere guesswork. If Tony Abbott's hiding something (which he might not be, if in which case he could have done with being open about this in the first place) then we, including people at HRLFC, have a right to be very skeptical.

It would be at best careless not to get involved with this takeover. We can all understand Calderdale Council's motives to sell The Shay as mentioned in their response to Gav's letter. But this makes it clear that a private company would do the same, perhaps ruthlessly if necessary.

Firstly I assume you don't actually want the council to put the stadium on the open market. To achieve the best price they would have to sell with fewer safeguards for the clubs.

If this Abbott chap is getting the Shay cheap, my gut instinct would be that this is a good sign and that it means there are safeguards in place protecting both clubs, surely the council aren't daft and if accepting a low price for the Shay it's because it has protected the interests of both clubs.

If Reactiv were to make use of some of the Shay plot isn't that a good thing, Abbott gets something from his purchase which indirectly reduces his need to maximise income from the football side. 

Hahahahahahaha! Safeguards my hairy backside. How many clubs have sold their stadiums in the last 20 years, and how many has it ended well for? If he's getting it cheap, he's getting it for his own (quick) profit, nothing else.

My Mrs is a graphic designer. If you need any fliers designing let me know.

All I will need is text and any artwork to be used and in what size you require.

exactly. nobody knows anything really, so lets just wait and see what the truth is.

exactly. nobody knows anything really, so lets just wait and see what the truth is.

Exactly that is why the whole thing needs coming out in the open BEFORE the deal is done as nobody knows what plans Abbott has on store

Exactly that is why the whole thing needs coming out in the open BEFORE the deal is done as nobody knows what plans Abbott has in store

I cannot see any safeguard that would 100% guarantee the continued future use of the stadium by either club, whether that's being pushed out due to unreasonable rates of rent or unreasonable conditions being put on the club's use of the stadium.

I cannot see any safeguard that would stop the stadium being sold again one day to whoever the owner chooses.

If the stadium is being sold, theres only so much the seller can restrict what the buyer will do. I very much doubt rates of rent etc can be stipulated.

Unless I'm wrong, anybody who thinks this is a good idea is a fool.

So many other clubs have suffered at the hands of private stadium ownership. Lessons are there all over the country.

The rugby club try and rule the roost and ride roughshod over the football club with Croad, Harvey and Abbott at the head of the club. Sell the ground/Shay estate to one of these (Tony Abbott) and do we honestly expect to be treated as equal tenants?

the triumphalism and arrogance that was evident in the twitter feed, with all its "shh don't tell photos" of abbott and various sycophants etc, when they were billing that meeting at the shay, that we now know was really about this, tells you all you need to know about how this is going to pan out for our club if he gets his hands on it. they were going to present it as a coup for their club!

Firstly I assume you don't actually want the council to put the stadium on the open market. To achieve the best price they would have to sell with fewer safeguards for the clubs.

If this Abbott chap is getting the Shay cheap, my gut instinct would be that this is a good sign and that it means there are safeguards in place protecting both clubs, surely the council aren't daft and if accepting a low price for the Shay it's because it has protected the interests of both clubs.

If Reactiv were to make use of some of the Shay plot isn't that a good thing, Abbott gets something from his purchase which indirectly reduces his need to maximise income from the football side. 

a tenuous assertion that is not wholly supported by history.

i agree.

well you would wouldn't you- instead of interfering on here why aren't you generating some debate about this on your rugby forum, we all need to work together to try and stop this outrage.

wait until its a fait accompli and see how we've been sold down the river. what a sensible suggestion- just who the f*** are you exactly?

• The Town fans are in meltdown mode already ,

organising demonstrations eg ` march on Town Hall is just one of the

suggested ideas .

johnny freeman fan club • Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:49 pm

•          Re: Sale of Shay

johnny freeman fan club wrote:The

Town fans are in meltdown mode already , organising demonstrations eg `

march on Town Hall is just one of the suggested ideas .

I hope they do demo - I will be there laughing my backside off!

It's good business for the Shay and the greater good for the Shay.

triran • Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:09 am

if they start march from shay make sure bars are open so they get extra trade.

just some of the comments about this on the rugger bugger forum. nuff said.

We need to know the official position of FCHT asap so that any action taken is in the same direction as any action they might be pursuing .

IMO this doesn't look good and we might as well have our names on the peanut hugger shirts as main sponsor .

suggested ideas .

• Re: Sale of Shay

• Re: Sale of Shay if they start march from shay make sure bars are open so they get extra trade.

just some of the comments about this on the rugger bugger forum. nuff said.</p>

I wouldn't worry too much about these thickos.

You're always going to get morons who won't see the bigger picture.

They won't be laughing when they get thrown out when Abbott is skint.

suggested ideas .

if they start march from shay make sure bars are open so they get extra trade.

just some of the comments about this on the rugger bugger forum. nuff said.

Think that last comment was posted by village idiot Swifty.

The rugby supporters have short memories. It's not even 10 years since Fax fans and Town supporters marched side by side from the Shay to the Town Hall. It doesn't matter who is trying to buy it - whether they be rugby or football biased. Private ownership of the Shay is disastrous.

None of you know anything about Tony Abbott. 

He comes from a football background, having being a loyal Tottenham supporter, held a season ticket since he was a boy. In the last few years he has put more money into Halifax RLFC (£300k+) and local sport in Calderdale (sponsored Siddal, Saturday League Football etc) than any individual in the last decade. Anyone who has heard him speak knows that he only cares about one thing; the success of sport in Calderdale. He has a very successful business and has decided to spend his own money to take the Shay out of the hands of the council and in his own words "pump a couple of million into it" to improve it as a venue.

I can completely understand your concerns. If this was the other way around we Halifax RLFC fans would be up in arms. But before you do anything I suggest you actually learn something about Tony Abbott. If there is one person in the private world I would trust to own the Shay, it would be him. He only has the clubs interests in mind and he is not going to get bored at any point!

I suggest you start by listening to his interview on Radio Leeds on Sunday. The man is more passionate about Calderdale sports than anyone I have ever met!

None of you obviously know anything about Tony Abbott.

He is a loyal Tottenham supporter, having held a season ticket since he was a boy. In the last few years he has put more money into Halifax RLFC (£300k+) and local sport in Calderdale than any individual in the last decade. Anyone who has heard him speak knows that he only cares about one thing; the success of sport in Calderdale. He has a very successful business and has decided to spend his own money to take the Shay out of the hands of the council and in his own words "pump a couple of million into it" to improve it as a venue.

I can completely understand your concerns. If this was the other way around we Halifax RLFC fans would be up in arms. But before you do anything I suggest you actually learn something about Tony Abbott. If there is one person in the private world I would trust to own the Shay, it would be him. He only has the clubs interests in mind and he is not going to get bored at any point!

I suggest you start by listening to his interview on Radio Leeds on Sunday. The man is more passionate about Calderdale sports than anyone I have ever met!

Why all the cloak & dagger then ? Why not go public on his plans for "Calderdale Sport" The council are trying to sell this asset through the back door to a buyer that hasn't announced his reasons for buying. I find the whole thing stinks and needs to be played out in public.

Does the coffee smell any better in rugby land?

And?

It changes nothing. He could sell both clubs down the river at the drop of a hat. And he will if and when his business interests dry up.

Is it really that difficult for people to understand the dangers of a private owner?

WAKE UP.