Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

max'n'paddy

Sale Of The Shay

Councillor's have just been emailed, what next?

Do we have the SOS (Save our Shay banner) in storage...................

Or why cant we use that £300 or so that is held in a safe place by members of this forum to get a banner commissioned 

thats better than sponsoring Neil Aspins grots imo.

Do we have the SOS (Save our Shay banner) in storage...................

Or why cant we use that £300 or so that is held in a safe place by members of this forum to get a banner commissioned 

thats better than sponsoring Neil Aspins grots imo.

Good idea. As individuals we can do very little, as a group of over a thousand supporters we can arrange a protest and get some media coverage, councillors don't like that !

It's just difficult to get public backing and awareness with the Courier being in bed with them.

We need to get some form of media outlet to realise that this is nothing but bad news.

Abbott's not right, i'm certain of it.

He makes a living from selling things to vulnerable old women on the phone for christ's sake!!

Good idea. As individuals we can do very little, as a group of over a thousand supporters we can arrange a protest and get some media coverage, councillors don't like that !

need to mobilise the other 1,000 supporters who don't use this board. How did SOS get everybody on board last time. Now the Courier is once a week difficult to see how we could use that. Supporters club must have a mailing list - SDS do, as well as an email list for some members.

It's just difficult to get public backing and awareness with the Courier being in bed with them.

We need to get some form of media outlet to realise that this is nothing but bad news.

Abbott's not right, i'm certain of it.

He makes a living from selling things to vulnerable old women on the phone for christ's sake!!

it's alright, swifty62 says he's a good bloke so that's ok.

anybody on Twitter - get a message out on there an get it retweeted. Positively shaymen on facebook.

Anybody know any journalists?

The first reply from Councillor Megan Swift

Good Evening,

In all honesty I don't know if we will be selling the Shay or what the process would be. I do know there has been an offer but as far as I am concerned we should only sell the Shay to someone who wants it to continue as a community stadium.

Megan

Councillor Megan Swift

The first reply from Councillor Megan Swift

Good Evening,

In all honesty I don't know if we will be selling the Shay or what the process would be. I do know there has been an offer but as far as I am concerned we should only sell the Shay to someone who wants it to continue as a community stadium.

Megan

Councillor Megan Swift

sounds like it is being done behind closed doors without some councillors being involved.

sounds like it is being done behind closed doors without some councillors being involved.

That reply sounded to me like she was sloping the shoulders. She will no doubt come out when it gets sold and say "Mr Abbott will continue to use it as a community stadium"

That is most definitely the case....A councillor I know very well confirmed this.

Anyone any good on publisher that can knock up a flyer?

Distribute it around the town - I would be more than happy to donate towards printing costs.

We have to stop this happening through the back door - create loads of niggly obstacles and make it more hassle than it is worth

Well how can they get away with that??????? What a disgrace. 

I wonder if the EU parliament can help us. They seem to be able to put the mockers on most things that have nothing to do with them....................

Would the council have to name the bidder under a freedom of information act?

Firstly I assume you don't actually want the council to put the stadium on the open market. To achieve the best price they would have to sell with fewer safeguards for the clubs.

If this Abbott chap is getting the Shay cheap, my gut instinct would be that this is a good sign and that it means there are safeguards in place protecting both clubs, surely the council aren't daft and if accepting a low price for the Shay it's because it has protected the interests of both clubs.

If Reactiv were to make use of some of the Shay plot isn't that a good thing, Abbott gets something from his purchase which indirectly reduces his need to maximise income from the football side. 

I'm sure look north, calendar and radio Leeds would be interested in what supporters have to say. Radio Leeds mentioned the possible sale a while ago. Something the supporters club could maybe chase up?

Firstly I assume you don't actually want the council to put the stadium on the open market. To achieve the best price they would have to sell with fewer safeguards for the clubs.

If this Abbott chap is getting the Shay cheap, my gut instinct would be that this is a good sign and that it means there are safeguards in place protecting both clubs, surely the council aren't daft and if accepting a low price for the Shay it's because it has protected the interests of both clubs.

If Reactiv were to make use of some of the Shay plot isn't that a good thing, Abbott gets something from his purchase which indirectly reduces his need to maximise income from the football side. 

Really?...

You trust that safeguards put in place by the council will be foolproof?

As has already been mentioned, it is easy to get round them. 

Also, what happens if Reactiv goes pop? It will just be sold off to the highest bidder, aka Tesco.

I think Coventry City, Portsmouth & Northwich Victoria amongst others were told the same

Im taking Bubba's letter and Council Reply to work 2morrow and handing to a guy that has worked on high court cases involving all sorts of civil matters. Id be interested in what he had to say. Its worth a shot and and opinion on how things stand in terms of law. His response will be way above my comprehension im sure but I shall post here what he says.

Are you Abbotts love child?

How can the council possibly justify spending £6.5 million on a project (whilst already holding the freehold on the land), and then sell the whole lot (and Lord only knows what the freehold of the site would be worth to a developer) to some shyster for 30% of what they have just spent without a full council meeting and consultation.

To be honest, I would prefer them to sell the site to a supermarket for what it is worth, let them cover all their costs and then give the clubs a bit of brownfield land to build a smaller, basic but more suitable stadium.  Not an ideal solution, but at least I wouldn`t feel like I had my pants pulled down and royally rogered by corrupt councillors.

Would the council have to name the bidder under a freedom of information act?

They may be able to refuse disclosure as commercially sensitive if the deal is under negotiation.  However, you can ask for all emails and notes containing the info in case they will disclose some of them pre-sale, maybe with names of interested parties redacted.  Ask for everything first, then of they won't release it ask for discussions about fesibility/risks of sale rather than buyer-specific details.

I'd recommend doing it through a Web site like https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/ as then everyone can see your questions, the replies from the Council and track the number of days you've waited etc.  Others can then adapt the question and ask it themselves if they need to.

If they try and say it will take more than 18 hours to collate and there will be a charge ask them what they can provide in the 18 hour limit and get that, then rephrase the question to ask for stuff outside the stuff they've already provided (e.g. if they say they can only provide stuff from 2013 in the 18 hour limit get it then raise another asking for the stuff from 2012, then another for 2011 etc. Non-specific example but I'm sure you know what I mean).

Well the question has to be, do you think you can stop the sale, influence it, or are you powerless?

Nowhere above am I suggesting I favour the council selling the stadium, the club's tenure will be best safeguarded by continued council ownership, nor am i arguing in favour of whatever deal is on the table, i have no knowledge of what is on the table. The points made were general ones, that in principal the cheaper the stadium sale the better it should be in principal for both clubs.

With regards other clubs and previous cases yes there have been horror stories of unscrupulous capitalists getting their hands on communit assets as you all know, but surely there must be someway of making both clubs secure and making it watertight if the  original price is low enough, ie sporting use only and a buy back at same price if neither club is going to be based there in the future. It's all about the initial price and an imaginative council.

Angus your figures might well be correct but the council's mind won't be focussed on past expenditure as much as the future cost of maintaining the stadium. Clearly if future expenditure was of no concern the sale on the basis you laid out would not be sensible, but in difficult times councils have other priorities.

The most pertinent thing though is to determine what is achievable, there's no point tilting at windmills.

i agree.

the goverment told councils to sell off buildings that they own to raise money in these hard times.

maybe the council will retain the freehold

will all unfold in time.