Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

max'n'paddy

Sale Of The Shay

Was supposed to be completed last week but apparently there has been a hitch, should be done in the next couple of weeks

Those were Tony Abbots words to a rugby club sponsor on Friday when they played at Sheffield

It will be interesting to see if this is the case. I'm suprised that there have been no eggchasers on here gloating over these rumours as in their eyes it will be seen as a great opportunity to lord one over us or try and get rid of us altogether. I await with bated breath.

It will be interesting to see if this is the case. I'm suprised that there have been no eggchasers on here gloating over these rumours as in their eyes it will be seen as a great opportunity to lord one over us or try and get rid of us altogether. I await with bated breath.

The eggchasers are equally sceptical.What happens if/when Abbot falls out with rugby.

This is potentially the biggest news since the new club was formed and the local press should be asking questions of Calderdale MBC and the football club should also make a statement. Forget replica shirts, club shops, £17 to get in, this is something that is a massive concern

This is potentially the biggest news since the new club was formed and the local press should be asking questions of Calderdale MBC and the football club should also make a statement. Forget replica shirts, club shops, £17 to get in, this is something that is a massive concern

Agree.

A rugby fan at work has already started asking me how I'll feel when they own The Shay. It's tongue in cheek and he shares concerns about private ownership, but its an opportunity for him to have a dig.

"Abbott: "Let's just say that I'm aware that a single person is in for the Shay and are in final negotiations."

wtf!! wasn't this supposed to be a sports organisation, independent of either club??

Calderdale leader Cllr Tim Swift told me any sale of The Shay dependent on FC Halifax staying as long as they want & no Tesco!

that's not a safeguard at all - just bump up the rent to a level that makes it not viable for us, or make it awkward for us to use the facility in the way we need to....... the whole thing is a disgrace. this deal has been going on behind our club's back for over a year. the rugger directors must be laughing their two faces off.

The number being bandies about for Mr Abbots purchase is a fraction of what the council actually spent on finishing the main stand, let alone the value of the ground and its land value.

I suppose we could request that our local MP looks into the matter as there appears that financial impropriety may be involved. Oh, hang on a minute...................... 

Agree.

A rugby fan at work has already started asking me how I'll feel when they own The Shay. It's tongue in cheek and he shares concerns about private ownership, but its an opportunity for him to have a dig.

trust me IF this deal goes through the rugby won't own the ground it will be in his or his company's name.

"Abbott: "Let's just say that I'm aware that a single person is in for the Shay and are in final negotiations."

wtf!! wasn't this supposed to be a sports organisation, independent of either club??

no, read report where you thought that again. was an independant company with interests in sport in halifax.

trust me IF this deal goes through the rugby won't own the ground it will be in his or his company's name.

i have been trying to tell everyone on here that for ages but dont listen.

new headquarters for reactiv company.

saves fortune in rents etc.

See attached the letter I sent to the Council regarding the potential sale of the Shay and the response I received below. I think its pretty fair to say its a done deal.

TheShay (1).pdf

Dear Mr Butler,

Thank you for your email on this matter.

I agree that the Shay Stadium is an important asset for Halifax and the borough as a whole. As you identify, it has been now run by a number of years by the Council and has received considerable investment in both capital and revenue terms. I think it is important to state that the condition of the stadium in relation to both its fabric, its safety and its finances was of real concern on all fronts when the Communities Directorate took on responsibility for the building in 2010.

Gary Byrnes and his team have worked tirelessly to secure further investment to make the stadium safe, and to provide modern good quality facilities for both clubs and for wider use. We can now see the impact of this as we have completed preparations for the Rugby League World Cup game in November, and I am sure you saw the positive coverage about this in the Halifax Courier.

We have received an expression of interest in the stadium which was unsolicited and is currently being considered. This is being considered balancing the need to ensure future sporting and community use of the stadium, but also mindful that the ongoing subsidy and capital costs are difficult to sustain given the unprecedented budget savings we are currently making. As I am sure you will appreciate, when priority frontline services are being cut back, and jobs being lost, we regularly receive concern and criticism from Councillors and local people about the cost of the facility.

Finally, in relation to registering the building as an asset of community value, it has not been registered as such. I have received your subsequent letter and I have contacted Stephen Hoyle who leads on these matters and who I have shared it with. We have an agreed process which is attached here

www.calderdale.gov.uk/community/advice/community-rights/bid.html

As you may be aware, if your organisation meets the criteria you can submit an application which we have to assess within 8 weeks. What this does is if the Council intends to sell the building, provide a period of up to 6 months to enable an alternative offer to come forward and funding secured for this. There is no obligation on the landowner to withdraw an asset for sale or to sell to any specific party as a result of this.

I hope this information is helpful and please contact Steve at the email address above if you require further information.

Robin Tuddenham
Director of Communities and Business Change

Do the monies supplied by the various trusts which were used to start the East Stand etc not come with some strings attached?  Surely if some organisation hands over a considerable sum of money for specific improvement purposes there would be something written in to the agreement to prevent the monies being used to improve a facility just to increase its market value for a subsequent sale. It wouldn`t be unreasonable to have a pay-back clause in such circumstances, would it? 

As in the Football Foundation (Football Stadia Improvement Fund)? It is an interesting point.

Doesn't the council have to publicly list it for sale before a private deal can be done to allow other bidders ?

Any idea of the price?