Attendances and the need for Marketing.

PRS

Hi it's me again , sorry to be boring, but could one of our more numerate posters cost some of these ideas out.

I.e. takings now on crowds of say 1500 @ a child / concession / full price average versus say 1500/ 1700/ 2000 using some of

the incentive ideas that have been suggested.

I think we have made a good start and it would be nice to receive a comment from the board on some of the thoughts so far, still think

we need to expand our thinking even further, if successful we will then need volunteers to help the club implement.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shaw Hill

Hi it's me again , sorry to be boring, but could one of our more numerate posters cost some of these ideas out.

I.e. takings now on crowds of say 1500 @ a child / concession / full price average versus say 1500/ 1700/ 2000 using some of

the incentive ideas that have been suggested.

I think we have made a good start and it would be nice to receive a comment from the board on some of the thoughts so far, still think

we need to expand our thinking even further, if successful we will then need volunteers to help the club implement.

Costings - Don't forget the government creams 20% off the top as VAT

All these pleas for the club to get involved in local businesses is all well and good. BUT! A lot of the local businesses do not want anything to do with the football club and it has a really bad name in the business community.

Thats why the club has to work on its public image, market itself and try put something back into the local community. Good news does spread and even though the club has a community group it hasn't really achieved a great deal proved by the drop in attendances.

I dont want to turn this into a slanging match but there has been a feeling that the club takes for granted the supporters and first and foremost it is this attitude which needs to change. There is no bigger marketing tool for any business than existing customers (the supporters), with word of mouth more effective than any Courier article, radio advert, etc. So maybe ideas need to be implemented closer to home rather than in the local schools?

FREE TICKETS TO SCHOOLS IS A MUST!! I was given a free ticket at school at the age of 10 back in 1983. My dad took me to the game and all these years later I go to most home games with my kids. I do sometimes struggle to take the kids to all the games as one of them is now 12 (the price goes up at that age) and i have 3 I cant always afford it when all 3 want to go. They love going but its down to the cost. Kids price should be between £2 and £5.

A quid a kid for next 2 home games .

This should have been one of the absolute priorities when FCHT was born. A chance to get it right and a chance to do what HTFC had failed to do for so many years. Unfortunately they were all too busy either backstabbing our first manager or slapping each other on the backs whilst winning two pub divisions. Thanks to the board for this, thanks to the board for that. In the end we are left with a club without a proper soul and foundation. Same old in a new form.

IMO the problem with the board is that they seem to be targeting the corperate side of the club at the expense of the regular supporters. They know that irreguardless of the admission charges we have a hardcore support of 1000/1200 fans who will attend week in week out. Whilst the figures this season are down on the last two it seems to be a reasonable fanbase for this level of football and by implementing some of the wonderful ideas put forward on this thread it would mean a further reduction in gate receipts. I think that the board are reliant too much on results and performances on the pitch to attract new fans which as we have seen so far this season isn't working. I think they are trying to run the club like a car dealership, sell 1 top of the range BMW for 30k or 3 minis for 30k (ie 1 corperate pack against 3 regular supporters).

IMO the problem with the board is that they seem to be targeting the corperate side of the club at the expense of the regular supporters. They know that irreguardless of the admission charges we have a hardcore support of 1000/1200 fans who will attend week in week out. Whilst the figures this season are down on the last two it seems to be a reasonable fanbase for this level of football and by implementing some of the wonderful ideas put forward on this thread it would mean a further reduction in gate receipts. I think that the board are reliant too much on results and performances on the pitch to attract new fans which as we have seen so far this season isn't working. I think they are trying to run the club like a car dealership, sell 1 top of the range BMW for 30k or 3 minis for 30k (ie 1 corperate pack against 3 regular supporters).

But for years in the past everyone complained that previous boards were unable to get a grip of the corporate side, there were countless mentions of not being able to run a football club on gate receipts alone. Yes the average punter needs some looking after, but by & large we're unlikely to be turning up at Valley Parade, Elland Road or whatever Huddersfield are calling their ground this week.

I'm not sure how much the corporate side brings in, but with sponsorship, sportsmans dinner, end of season do etc I'd bet it's a figure that's the difference between having a competitive budget and not losing money, while still playing at The Shay, compared with having a club that groundshares somewhere out side the town, or plays at the shay but has a playing budget in the lower reaches of the league. We're not being neglected for the corporate side, it's more a case that the club has never had a corporate side before to compare things with.

Yes, we need to work on attendances - but it's not unique to our club. Almost every team up & down the county has noticed a drop off in attendances this season, it's sadly the result of the economic climate right now.

that's the difference between having a competitive budget and not losing money

Sorry, but you only lose money if you spend more than you have coming in. So you cant say its money from the corporate side that stops us losing money. Its poor budgeting that sees a business lose money.

Those that have already bought tickets won't be forking out any more money, so costs for them now will remain the same ;)

What I mean is people thinking long term to save money buying a season ticket for a lump sum, when paying on the gate might now be cheaper over 21 games

If the Internet and forums were around 40 years ago I would imagine the town fans in the 60's would be having exactly the same discussions.

As I mentioned previously I would love the club to present every 10 year old in Calderdale with a town shirt and season ticket, would be great if the club could get a sponsor for this . Granted not every kid would attend regularly but at least there would be some connection with the club. If this policy had been introduced 3 years ago impressionable 10 year olds would have seem their local tram win 2 titles and make a playoff.

Sure most would still support a big club like lpool, man utd etc but travelling to watch them each week is not really an option at 10,11but we'd be a bloody good 2nd option. The kids we probably wouldn't convert would be the ones living in a burnley, Huddersfield, Bradford family that went to the games regularly.

Until an initiative like this is adopted well continue to have the odd good season with the odd good crowd but no real increase in the average crowd for the midweek November games against raggedy arse rovers etc.

Having said that though I bet out best attendances over last 3 years ie Lancaster, scum, skem , Wrexham, charlton, Mansfield were higher than in the previous 8 years or so when we had snug game so possibly we've substantially improved our one game supporter etc but not really the regular one

no real increase in the average crowd for the midweek November games against raggedy arse rovers etc.

Part of the problem , one big game this season Chester at home in January , the league above has a dozen Chesters , part of the problem is the lack of away support a good away following improves the atmosphere it gets home supporters up for the game , too many raggedy arse rovers clubs at this level.

We always struggled in the conference apart from one season, financially we could not compete the club will be in far better shape when it returns , i am looking forward to seeing us back in the bsp , the sooner the better unfortunately some of these raggedy arse rovers clubs have different ideas. Gloucester City at home or Luton at home next season the 2 are incomparable.

Sorry but as always communication is the greatest problem with FC Halifax. We now have twitter and facebook yet the club infrequently use either. Everything is too slow , too late or understated. We need to blow our own trumpet , tweet incessantly and get loads of facebook followers. That's what the youngsters follow. Put free shaymen player videos on youtube.

Can't believe the Halifax Courier site don't even have anything about the match today OR that kids get in for a quid. The club need to generate publicity we should have emailed the courier and made people available for the marketing story to be told.

Schools are the big area of development. Publicity around the five a side match day tournament. Why not have a precursor match as well as a half time match? If my kid was in a match at the shay, I'd be paying to watch him AND the match.

What was the biggest thing that publicised the Shaymen - the Shaybabes - why don't we revive them? With some work they could be sponsored and become our halftime entertainment. Have a link to the website.

Archived