Will it ever stop?

After seeing the interview on the news with Glasgow Rangers, Glen Kamara about the racism claim in the game v Slavia Prague and then on the BBC website seeing 3 Liverpool players were subject to racism on social media, along with many more this season. I am left scratching my head as to how the authorities and general public can stop this happening? I find the whole racism thing abhorrent and it really seems to me as though all of sudden a couple of years ago it seemed to become trendy to throw out this unacceptable behaviour. I notice Valencia walked off the pitch after a Cadiz player allegedy racially abused one of their players, is this what is needed more often? Sadly its not just a football issue its a social issue, but footballs governing bodies dont seem to be taking a lead role in removing it from their back yard. I do not have the answers but I hope and pray that it can be eradicated one day. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After reading these comments I realise how clever I am.  I don’t do Facebook Twitter or any of that crap.   I have never been abused.  

It’s so so simple to sort out and very easy to do.  1. When setting up an account you have to have a real name/username 2. You have to upload photo ID or some sort of ID when setting up an a

It wouldn't solve it, but it does stop it becoming easily accessible by impressionable minds. What I do feel is that each passing generation is becoming more tolerant than the one that came befor

9 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

After seeing the interview on the news with Glasgow Rangers, Glen Kamara about the racism claim in the game v Slavia Prague and then on the BBC website seeing 3 Liverpool players were subject to racism on social media, along with many more this season. I am left scratching my head as to how the authorities and general public can stop this happening? I find the whole racism thing abhorrent and it really seems to me as though all of sudden a couple of years ago it seemed to become trendy to throw out this unacceptable behaviour. I notice Valencia walked off the pitch after a Cadiz player allegedy racially abused one of their players, is this what is needed more often? Sadly its not just a football issue its a social issue, but footballs governing bodies dont seem to be taking a lead role in removing it from their back yard. I do not have the answers but I hope and pray that it can be eradicated one day. 

I think part of the problem is the social media itself, would a player put his home or mobile number in the public domain? No- he would receive abusive messages/calls- regardless of colour, majority would be from fans of other teams but some would come from within. Until social media companies properly police these accounts then it will continue.

12 minutes ago, vinnyweknuts said:

I think part of the problem is the social media itself, would a player put his home or mobile number in the public domain? No- he would receive abusive messages/calls- regardless of colour, majority would be from fans of other teams but some would come from within. Until social media companies properly police these accounts then it will continue.

Don't go on social media trolls circumvented, problem solved. Believe it or not the world turned before social media, it seems to carry more problems than it solves.

• Like 1

Social media is a cesspit of abuse tbf, Twitter especially. It's a mix between racist comments, and race card players. 

The problem we have is that the legitimate cases of racism that should be tackled often get lost in the barrage of false flags and false accusations, (We have one race card woke playing idiot who has done it to several Town fans, myself included, in recent years, who ironically then got his Twitter account deleted for racist and sexist abuse!) or with people trying to show how woke they are that people are afraid to say anything in case they become a victim of the extreme left/right. 

The actual "sensible middle ground" seems to be getting harder and harder to find online. Its often hijacked by others from the extremes.

As to football, look at the message the governing bodies give out and ask yourself where change needs to happen. We have the worlds most premier sporting event that has basically been sold to the highest corrupt bidder, who have a shocking record on human rights and safety. We have a sport that is run, via proxie, to keep the sponsors happy and the money coming in. I fully expect Valencia will be fined or penalised for walking off, rather than action taken against the racist behaviour. Until those funding the game (IE the sponsors) start getting pressure then nothing will change. It comes down to money sadly. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TJAshton said:

It’s so so simple to sort out and very easy to do. 

1. When setting up an account you have to have a real name/username

2. You have to upload photo ID or some sort of ID when setting up an account 

3. Take a photo/selfie of yourself so that the ID and yourself matches 

4. Account will be either verified or declined. 

SIMPLE 

In an ideal world, yes, I agree. 

Sadly it is too easy for people to create fake or second/third accounts on line to either send more abuse, or to circumvent a ban they have received. Again, from first hand experience, I know when an account that was promoting racism, threats and suicide was removed the owner of that account just created another account within the next few hours to continue the abuse. They even had the cheek to "rebrand" themselves as "undead" as a two fingers up to the platform that deleted them!

7 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

SIMPLE 

Doesn't solve the problem just sends it elsewhere 

1 minute ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Doesn't solve the problem just sends it elsewhere 

It wouldn't solve it, but it does stop it becoming easily accessible by impressionable minds.

What I do feel is that each passing generation is becoming more tolerant than the one that came before it. The danger in having a huge platform like FB/Twitter etc... is that this is where the youngest generation often seem to spend time online. It has almost become a de-facto norm for abuse, which isn't on.

Go look at pretty much any political figure in the UK on Twitter when they make a tweet. Within an hour their replies will be split into two camps - those that support that political figure, and those that oppose that figure - and there is a lot of hatred, virtual and abuse thrown around to those that disagree. Theres no middle ground any more and people seem to think they can say and do whatever they want online. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

SIMPLE 

You cannot be serious. What next? Barcodes on arms?

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

You cannot be serious. What next? Barcodes on arms?

No some apps already do it. I’m sure you have heard of a Monzo account right? Well they do it and so do other it just stops people from creating random fake accounts. 

It’s not hard it’s simply a photo that matches your id and it will either be verified or declined. Simple stuff 

Just now, Papa Lazarou said:

Wherever the racist people go, it's the people that need educating rather than the platform removing 

Right but that’s not what you meant. You said it’ll just move them somewhere else? But racial abuse is on social media so surely that is removing 99% of the cause no

10 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Wherever the racist people go, it's the people that need educating rather than the platform removing 

Agreed, but if we cut off their platform for spreading abuse it makes it harder for impressional people to be hooked. 

Take Trump as a prime example. Him being booted from Twitter doesn't stop him from being a thick racist orange cockwomble, but it stops him peddling his **** to millions of followers who see him as some sort of hero. Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson other prime examples. 

8 minutes ago, Flea said:

Agreed, but if we cut off their platform for spreading abuse it makes it harder for impressional people to be hooked. 

Take Trump as a prime example. Him being booted from Twitter doesn't stop him from being a thick racist orange cockwomble, but it stops him peddling his **** to millions of followers who see him as some sort of hero. Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson other prime examples. 

It won’t stop racism at all as that will never ever go. But what it will stop is racial abuse on social media which would be a huge help. 

15 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

It won’t stop racism at all as that will never ever go. But what it will stop is racial abuse on social media which would be a huge help. 

It is a little like banging your head against a brick wall, most sensible people stop as it tends to hurt, never been one for a bloody forehead.

Some people won't like this comment, and I'm not sure if anyone has thought similar however I've been trying to think outside the box.

Could some of the offensive racist language on the tweets etc of been posted by BAME under a different alias in a way of rising tensions further?

Was just a thought.....

Edited by Grayski
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Grayski said:

Some people won't like this comment, and I'm not sure if anyone has thought similar however I've been trying to think outside the box.

Could some of the offensive racist language on the tweets etc of been posted by BAME under a different alias in a way of rising tensions further?

Was just a thought.....

It's uncomfortable, but I do think its more than probable. Quite a few on the extreme left love to grandstand and white knight - they have made plenty of false attacks on others to try boost their own profiles and their own agendas. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TJAshton said:

No some apps already do it. I’m sure you have heard of a Monzo account right? Well they do it and so do other it just stops people from creating random fake accounts. 

It’s not hard it’s simply a photo that matches your id and it will either be verified or declined. Simple stuff 

You want to hand your identity documents to two of the most breached companies in the world? You might as well just stick them on as your profile pic and invite people to steal your identity.

• Like 1

Until social media companies take proper responsibility for how their platforms are used nothing will change.

The technology exists to prevent this happening, but it costs money. They will spend it if it increases profits, but this doesn’t. Until legislation exists to punitively fine social media companies for allowing this to happen this will continue.

Racism should have no place in our society, but everything needs to get tougher.

1 hour ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

For a quiet life just avoid any discussion which involves an 'ism'.

It never ends well.

The first few lines of John Lennon's 'Give Peace A Chance' would be buggered! 

A lot of these people doing racism on social media are silly little kids trying to be edgy, the same ones that write or show disgusting pictures regarding Hillsborough. 

We need tougher penalties for it. Prison and some good hard labour. No cushty kids prison. 

Sod their human rights seeing as they use inhuman abuse. All they ever get is community service at best with a easy ride because its their first offence. Community service is a doddle. 

• Like 1