hartlepool match thread (small h intended)

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking into account that some of our pundits do not rate Sam he had an excellent game and the Hartlepool goalkeeper made Sam’s distribution world class Disappointing to see we have a left wing ba

As a team I don’t think your far away at all, nothing to beat in this league it’s very average, it must be we have won 8 on the bounce at home, yet are garbage away.  One team always goes on a ru

And with ten men too. Imagine not beating ten man Town. How tinpot. 

Posted Images

I thought we got away with it last night, despite the fact that we did create a host of decent chances. Hartlepool looked better all over the pitch, I thought: largely organised in defence, possession, and transition, where we still look to be an occasionally exciting tangle of chaotic improvisation. The continuing holes all over the pitch make us look porous; it often looked as if they had extra men on the pitch, even before Danny Williams's red. On that, I thought Jake Hyde could have done better with the ball he received from Williams, but the loss of possession led to us being exposed again on the counter. We seemed to get the ball into decent positions up front, with players then dwelling on the ball as they decided what to do with it or waited for options. Hartlepool, on the contrary, seemed to have a plan and options close to hand whenever they broke forward. I thought Jamie Allen did well and Jack Earing looked assertive and quick, pace being something we need more of when in possession, but crossing from the left in particular was erratic. Keiran Green also gives us a bit more muscularity, and his goal was well-deserved for some energetic performances this season.

Edited by themanwhowasntthere
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, chadders said:

23 i believe.

It is 23 games (inclusive), so as the 5th booking occurred in the 23rd game he looks set for a 1 match suspension.

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Sums us up perfectly.

It's one of those where if we don't know what we are going to do next neither do the opposition:D

It can be a frustrating watch though. In mitigation we have a small squad of players with little room for manoeuvre in changes.

4 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Yes

I thought so, commentators mentioned it as well, but its not listed on the match report or the BBC scores & fixtures pages, although Williams red card is listed. Cheers.

4 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

You want to buy Brown back from York.:rolleyes:

I had realised my mistake ..edited it .. but looks like you got there first :) ..Clarke ..I know some have a question mark over his speed .. but he organises the others well and I know being a slow centre back myself , age has caught up ... that you have to read the game well to make up for that loss of pace .. and Clarke not only does that for himself he does it for others around .. 

1 hour ago, ITMAN said:

It is 23 games (inclusive), so as the 5th booking occurred in the 23rd game he looks set for a 1 match suspension.

Didn't he serve a 1 game ban after the Altrincham game. There was some confusion about him being booked at half time going into the changing rooms.?

5 hours ago, Nick said:

I had realised my mistake ..edited it .. but looks like you got there first :) ..Clarke ..I know some have a question mark over his speed .. but he organises the others well and I know being a slow centre back myself , age has caught up ... that you have to read the game well to make up for that loss of pace .. and Clarke not only does that for himself he does it for others around .. 

Well he didn’t do right well in going for the block against boreham wood in the play offs should he scoring an own goal. Should have left it for Johnson even the commentators said that and they are usually dumb 

The highlights on the Vanarama website are a joke, they don't show Jamie's shot early on, Earing's shot against the post or the free kick by King that only needed a touch but it did show all of Hartlepool's efforts.

Just listened to Challinors interview and one thing he said is exactly what I’ve been thinking for a while and I don’t get why we do it either! 

“They play like they are the away team when they are playing at home. They drop off and let teams have possession” 

Now I’m not too bothered if we are away against a top team doing that but when we are at home we are boring to watch and we do always let teams dictate us and I don’t ever get why we do it. A lot of people say on here during a home game we are giving them too much respect etc but we are at home let’s go at them and let’s attack and go for the win! 

14 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

Just listened to Challinors interview and one thing he said is exactly what I’ve been thinking for a while and I don’t get why we do it either! 

“They play like they are the away team when they are playing at home. They drop off and let teams have possession” 

Now I’m not too bothered if we are away against a top team doing that but when we are at home we are boring to watch and we do always let teams dictate us and I don’t ever get why we do it. A lot of people say on here during a home game we are giving them too much respect etc but we are at home let’s go at them and let’s attack and go for the win! 

Possibly down to having a leaky defence or the fact we are down to a self selecting squad due to injuries, with some players out of their ideal position.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

That chimes with many of Pete Wild's comments about aspects of training that involve the players working on what they do when they are out of possession. It can look alarming on the field when we drop off collectively behind the ball, conceding acres of space for the opposition to occupy or run into. On the flip side, I suppose the argument is that there will be space for us to exploit in behind. It's frequently a bit heart-in-mouth, though.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

Man Utd do this every week as well.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:03 PM, TJAshton said:

Well he didn’t do right well in going for the block against boreham wood in the play offs should he scoring an own goal. Should have left it for Johnson even the commentators said that and they are usually dumb 

The fact the block went in was a complete fluke on Boreham Wood’s behalf. If a striker shoots and the defender was ducking away from the ball then you’d have a problem

Half glass full or empty?

It's taken me a bit longer than usual to put my thoughts down on paper due to work being manic at present as most of the NHS suddenly realises it is now March and they have to spend their budgets or lose the money before the end of the financial year.

The build up to the game against hartlepool (little h intended), did not augur well for the rest of the game, with the streaming not functioning at all and I worried this was an omen of how Town would perform. This coupled with the news that Martin Woods was not starting and the strange formation did not bode well.

The game did kick off on time, but it was some minutes before we all got pictures. I say pictures because for the whole game the commentator’s audio stream was 10-15 seconds ahead of the video feed, which led to a most disconcerting experience, made worse by the fact I was unable to mute the audio stream.

The Town line up looked to be set up for an attacking formation with Campbell, Allen and Hyde all starting. The defensive line up looked odd with Maher seeming to be playing in a more advanced position and King and Senior playing as fullbacks in a back 4. Hartlepool on the other hand had Featherstone in the starting line-up, a plus for them, but were without Johnson, which should have made them weaker at the back.

First 10 mins the two sides laid out how they were going to tackle each other. Town adopted a style of play which allowed hartlepool the majority of the possession, which Featherstone accepted gratefully, and the Poolies passed the ball about mainly in their own half without making any in roads into the Town defensive third. In the 10th minute Town had a break down the right hand side with Allen, who drove into the penalty area, beat the fullback and then got caught in two minds, should I cross it for the advancing Hyde of go for glory. Unfortunately, he chose the wrong option and shot wildly which went out for a throw-in.

Town were to rue this missed opportunity as play swung to the other end and hartlepool won a corner. Without Johnson, hartlepool were missing one of their biggest advantages, with his height from set pieces they have looked dangerous all season. Everyone lined up expecting the inswinger except hartlepool caught the Town defenders asleep and executed a training ground routine perfectly for Shelton to take the ball passed back to him completely unmarked to score from the right hand side of the penalty area beating Sam Johnson at his near post for a deserved 1-0 lead.

At this point in the game Town stepped it up a bit and we had a couple of good chances. One where Campbell played Earing in behind the hartlepool defence only Jack’s first touch was poor and he lost control, followed by an attack in the 25th minute which saw Earing in space on the edge of the D but his shot beat the keeper and thundered back off the post with no one able to get the follow up.

The rest of the half saw a few other chances for both sides, but too many unforced errors by Town gave too much possession to hartlepool, and at times it looked like we were the away side, with forced clearances, very unlike Town’s normal game, as hartlepool pressed a lot better than we did.

Second half things improved for Town as they tried to get Allen forward more, but there was little or no joined up play between Hyde and Campbell, with Campbell not picking up on the balls Hyde kept trying to lay off but with no product. In the 53rd minute a free kick delivered by King from the left side of midfield fell invitingly for 2 Town attackers who had evaded the offside trap but neither of them could take advantage of the clear cut scoring chance. Town were having far more possession but were unable to get any penetration into the hartlepool penalty area. Unlike the last few games were Green and Earing were running directly at defenders and getting shots away, this game saw far too much passing of the ball from side to side with no end product. Hartlepool for their part were happy to soak up the pressure.

It was not until the 77th minute that an almost identical freekick taken by King saw Keiron Green outjump everyone to head the ball home to level the score. The game then opened up a bit, with both sides making substitutions, with hartlepool having more choices. This resulted in a number of counter attacks by hartlepool, usually from misplaced passes by the Town midfield, one which led to a good save by Johnson and one which resulted in Williams bringing down Armstrong on the edge of the box, after a hartlepool defender had carried the ball 40-50 yards unchallenged before playing Armstrong in. The referee in his opinion deemed this the denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity and sent Williams off. He will now miss the next 2 games. Hartlepool squandered the subsequent freekick, driving the ball harmlessly into the Town defensive wall.

After this point it was almost as if a switch had been flicked and both teams had some form of unwritten agreement to settle for a draw. Play petered out with both sides looking to preserve what they had rather than go for the kill.

This was a game which Town had more than enough chances to take all 3 points, we just did not have the cutting edge to turn the many chances we created into goals. Hartlepool, apart from the excellent goal they scored, were well drilled but pedestrian at times. The two main threats of Sterry and Ferguson, were kept in check most of the game, with Sterry going off half way through the second half. Armstrong, retained his record of only scoring once away from home and did not get the service he is used to.

If offered a point before the game I would have been happy, seeing the bare bones team we put out then the performance was acceptable, but yet again we have watched a game where we were so close but so far. As has been commented before it is a game of fine margins. A few inches the other way in the first half and Earing scores. On a positive note we have taken 4 points from a possible six, gainst the top of the table and third in the league, not bad by anyone’s reckoning.

So, half empty or half full – still half full for me. If we can get the consistency and just score some of the chances we create then we are still in with a shout of making the playoffs. The other results were good for us as we did not drop down the table and we now have games in hand on a number of teams above us.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:47 AM, townmad said:

The highlights on the Vanarama website are a joke, they don't show Jamie's shot early on, Earing's shot against the post or the free kick by King that only needed a touch but it did show all of Hartlepool's efforts.

Yep just watched...wtf...who edited these?