sam Johnson .. or should we say samson

just a bit of light hearted fun.

for one reason or another it would appear to not have been a good season so far for Sam, (not bad just not good) he has not had a game so far where he was clearly the best town player and we would have conceded a hat full of goal if it was not for him. 

i was pondering why the possible down turn in form this season, he has not yet had a blinder... then i noticed his hair cut in the game again torquay, gone are his long scruffy locks of last season to what now appears to be a with eyes closed covid self cut...

i was left wondering if like Samson who lost his god given strength due to a hair cut that Sam(son)s form this year is  also a hair cut effect 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Goalkeeper isn’t the area of concern in this team in my opinion. Sam is a great keeper at this level. We would struggle to get better on our budget.

Tomorrow Johnson steps out for his 200th League appearance for the club having kept 70 clean sheets. Factoring in our inability to keep clean sheets in Clarke's absence that is a fantastic goalkeeping

Sam's a good keeper. Main thing he needs to improve...He's a big, tall lad...he  needs to dominate his box more, and deal with crosses better.

20 minutes ago, Nick said:

for one reason or another it would appear to not have been a good season so far for Sam, (not bad just not good) he has not had a game so far where he was clearly the best town player and we would have conceded a hat full of goal if it was not for him. 

i was pondering why the possible down turn in form this season, he has not yet had a blinder... then i noticed his hair cut in the game again torquay, gone are his long scruffy locks of last season to what now appears to be a with eyes closed covid self cut...

i was left wondering if like Samson who lost his god given strength due to a hair cut that Sam(son)s form this year is  also a hair cut effect 

He’s been very average this season. Most certainly his worst season for the club 

Edited by TJAshton
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Over coached & over thinking, most goal keeping is instinctive. Just needs more consistency in kicking & dealing with crosses. Overall not a position we need to worry about.

Could well be. If that is the case though then he'll soon adapt to whatever new techniques and elements he's incorporating into his play and they will become more instinctual. All players have their adjustment phases when new tactics or ways of playing are introduced.  
It could also be that he needs his trusty mop of hair to keep his bonce at an ideal warmth for processing it all. though we don't want him going the way of Joe Hart, focusing on hair products and losing his head before sitting on the bench for a no-name team like Tottenham Hotspur.

3 hours ago, Nick said:

I honestly don’t think he’s made that many mistakes at all for a fifth division keeper. Still one of the best in the league and the most reliable pair of hands for a long time!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ash said:

I honestly don’t think he’s made that many mistakes at all for a fifth division keeper. Still one of the best in the league and the most reliable pair of hands for a long time!

No mistakes ..the first at Barnet ?? 
I just do think so far he has had one standout game .. he is solid and dependable this year .. but I don’t think he is playing as well as last coupe of years ? 

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

I just do think so far he has had one standout game .. he is solid and dependable this year .. but I don’t think he is playing as well as last coupe of years ? 

Trouble with Johnson is he knows he can have a really bad game. Yet he will automatically be picked for the next game. He has become complacent. 

16 minutes ago, Nick said:

Keepers make mistakes at all levels, some of the best keepers in the world have made some high profile ones recently in the Premier league. Like Ash said Sam is a 5th tier keeper and will make mistakes, he doesn't make them on a regular basis and I agree with Ash he is more than good enough to be our keeper

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Keepers make mistakes at all levels, some of the best keepers in the world have made some high profile ones recently in the Premier league. Like Ash said Sam is a 5th tier keeper and will make mistakes, he doesn't make them on a regular basis and I agree with Ash he is more than good enough to be our keeper

I agree. Look at Allisons howlers the other week for Liverpool, the best in the game make mistakes.

Think he's a great keeper is big Sam and has served the club well. I hope he's here for many years to come, not an area of concern for me.

• Like 2

In some ways I'm surprised, unless we just don't know, that a higher league team hasn't come in for him.

I can only think it's down to hesitancy on crosses and distribution. The frustrating thing is he doesn't seem to improve those areas of his game even though it is obvious to everyone that there is room for improvement.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

I said that many not none. This years boo boy and he’s still one of the best in the league. Nothing really to see here. Still saves us far far more points than loses us.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dj funky said:

When your very good you don't need anybody giving you advice and would be better spent on a player.

I suspect noone is really teaching him on the goalkeeping side of things. 

But let's be honest he won't want to spend his entire career with us and at this level. However his distribution is not of a good standard and that's where the help is needed. 

An example of that in the last game at Torquay. Where he kept ushering the short roll out away so he could smash it into the sky to nobody. Infact in the 2nd half he kept punting it straight to their keeper. 

Edited by Greggs
9 minutes ago, Greggs said:

But let's be honest he won't want to spend his entire career with us and at this level. However his distribution is not of a good standard and that's where the help is needed. 

An example of that in the last game at Torquay. Where he kept ushering the short roll out away so he could smash it into the sky to nobody. Infact in the 2nd half he kept punting it straight to their keeper. 

It worked we won & apparently we played well controlling the second half.

Edited by Roy Race
10 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

It worked we won & apparently we played well controlling the second half.

We won the game yes but for him to move onto a higher league club he's going to have to improve on his distribution. Everyone wants to play out from the back these days. 

1 minute ago, Greggs said:

We won the game yes but for him to move onto a higher league club he's going to have to improve on his distribution. Everyone wants to play out from the back these days. 

Torquay had watched us and mostly they were stopping the throw outs we like to do.

38 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Let’s be honest they are.  

I think some people are expecting him to ping 70 yard pin point balls every time he has it!

He’s a 5th tier keeper, he’s got faults otherwise he would be higher. But even the top keepers make mistakes. For this level he’s great. Yes, he knows that he’s not really got the pressure of a second keeper coming in but clubs at this level can’t afford to have 2/3/4 top standard keepers in the squad just in case. 

• Like 1
On 2/28/2021 at 5:30 PM, ashy1966 said:

Trouble with Johnson is he knows he can have a really bad game. Yet he will automatically be picked for the next game. He has become complacent. 

I doubt Sam Johnson ever thinks about having a bad game.