On 2/28/2021 at 3:52 PM, nw3casc1 said:

Totally Agree Tom... He must be very boring....loved to see Helli running around Wembley with a blue and white flag....I am sure a few thousand enjoyed it too....

😂😂 it was a great moment for our family,proud moment,  not him running around with his top off but seeing him walk out at Wembley, part of the team of staff, with the club he loved and winning at Wembley after being down there for so many years, the celebrations he did after were funny and he did it for the supporters, maybe not the top off bit 😂 but the running around with the flag, taking the trophy up to the crowd to get a touch etc. I was there in the lounge after the game and it was nice from my point of view to see how the players were with him and the rest of staff and directors etc it showed me how much he was respected for how he was around the club 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interestingly, I had a business call today with a chap and in conversation he asked where I was from and assumed I was a Leeds Utd supporter, when I told him that I was in fact a fan of Halifax Town h

Really? So our chairman didn’t want to see any of his staff or players extremely happy that we’ve just won a trophy at Wembley and got a lot of money for the club.  Jesus ****ing Christ we have a

On 2/28/2021 at 3:54 PM, nw3casc1 said:

Not seen helli for a while up Southowram.. Seen Ben plenty of times..

Only pops up to ours now and again to see grandkids, he’s down Wheatley now so we go down there more often than not 👍

On 2/26/2021 at 12:35 AM, ITMAN said:

Interestingly, I had a business call today with a chap and in conversation he asked where I was from and assumed I was a Leeds Utd supporter, when I told him that I was in fact a fan of Halifax Town he was very complimentary. It turns out that in his spare time he is a sports photographer and mainly covers non-league football, Nuneaton Borough being his home team. We had a great chat about the merits of non-league football and what it really means to be a fan of a club. He had been to the Shay a few seasons back and was very impressed with how friendly and welcoming the staff were and he had enjoyed his day out.

In his travels he comes across all sorts but the stand out thing for him was the passion that clubs such as Halifax generate with their fans and how much more accessible players are. Unlike of course the upper echelons of the pyramid where it is all about corporate needs and how much they can squeeze out of fans for the privilege of the "experience".   

I would rather watch the Town, even with the ups and downs and the crazy results we get. It is far more exciting as you never know what is going to happen. What is also on show is the honest graft of the players, who are to be fair hardly going to be running out for PL teams, but once in a blue moon someone manages to climb the ladder, but they try their best and in amongst all the gaffes and goals, I never doubt that they are giving 100%.

We still need to keep characters in the club, the Clark's and the Kings, the backroom staff who do so much unheralded work behind the scenes, the ringing kids up on their birthdays or the taking the time to cheer up old supporters who might not be feeling their best. Fans and players alike chipping in for charitable causes. These are all of the sorts of things that make non-league football special - at the end of the day it's not life or death, it's just a game of football, but it certainly has more going for it than the over priced, over hyped product we see on the box most days of the week.

Was this fella called Simon Kimber by any chance? 

If so, his work is excellent. No worries if you can’t divulge of course. 

On 2/26/2021 at 10:41 AM, Papa Lazarou said:

His antics away at Garforth which lead to a touchline ban for him wasnt what is expected from a member of the clubs staff. Not critiscing his passion, just saying that in the role he had he should have behaved a little differently at times 

I'm struggling to remember him doing anything wrong that night. Is it the night of Scooby's lobbed winner when we came back to win 4-3? If so, hell I think we all "lost it" a little at the end that night, or was there another incident in another game? 

Football is all about emotion and about passion. As far as I recall I can never remember him being abusive (As in F'ing and blinding in an aggressive manner) or starting fights, so to me having that bit of passion is good to see as it is done in the right manner. I remember him getting on one of our shoulders down at Welling (or some other non discript London backwater) to help stick out the giant flag one year. He almost broke his neck as the guy he was using to lean on collapsed under him. Mad as a box of frogs, but I could never question his loyalty. 

As to Wembley and the running around the pitch topless "antics" - I'm again struggling to be too upset about it. It felt to me that he got what it meant to us in the stands - I'm not saying the players didn't, however at times for some of them, like the useless wasters Kingsley James and Nicky Wroe, they couldn't give two fecks about what happened - why should they be celebrating winning us a cup (a week after getting us relegated) when they didn't give a toss about the club, yet we bemoan someone who has given everything to them getting excited?

Football is at times a bit about the characters. I'd rather watch someone like Maradona who was emotive and passionate than someone like Pele who was dour and miserable. I'd rather have someone like Helli around the club than someone like Fullerton in the same manner. 

He was "working" in an unpaid role (AFAIK) so while I would expect a certain level of professionalism whilst representing the club, I would also not expect him to be some sort of emotionless robot. It's not like he was someone like Tony Allan, drawing a wage and being expected to keep the club compliant with all the I's and T's that need crossing. Helli was more a bridge between the club staff and the fans and gave a big sense of community in uniting the two - something that has been lacking over the years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, mj85 said:

Was this fella called Simon Kimber by any chance? 

If so, his work is excellent. No worries if you can’t divulge of course. 

It was indeed, he seemed a thoroughly nice man. Very knowledgeable about the non-league game. I would be interested to see some of his work.

1 hour ago, ITMAN said:

It was indeed, he seemed a thoroughly nice man. Very knowledgeable about the non-league game. I would be interested to see some of his work.

Yeah, over the last few years there’s not been a lot to shout about at Nuneaton at all, but throughout the chaos, Simon’s constantly received praise from our fans for his professional work and friendly manner. His photos are really, really good.

I’ll see if I can find some out for the missus to show you when you have a face to face supporters club committee meeting rather than Zoom etc. 

8 hours ago, Flea said:

I'm struggling to remember him doing anything wrong that night. Is it the night of Scooby's lobbed winner when we came back to win 4-3? If so, hell I think we all "lost it" a little at the end that night, or was there another incident in another game? 

Football is all about emotion and about passion. As far as I recall I can never remember him being abusive (As in F'ing and blinding in an aggressive manner) or starting fights, so to me having that bit of passion is good to see as it is done in the right manner. I remember him getting on one of our shoulders down at Welling (or some other non discript London backwater) to help stick out the giant flag one year. He almost broke his neck as the guy he was using to lean on collapsed under him. Mad as a box of frogs, but I could never question his loyalty. 

As to Wembley and the running around the pitch topless "antics" - I'm again struggling to be too upset about it. It felt to me that he got what it meant to us in the stands - I'm not saying the players didn't, however at times for some of them, like the useless wasters Kingsley James and Nicky Wroe, they couldn't give two fecks about what happened - why should they be celebrating winning us a cup (a week after getting us relegated) when they didn't give a toss about the club, yet we bemoan someone who has given everything to them getting excited?

Football is at times a bit about the characters. I'd rather watch someone like Maradona who was emotive and passionate than someone like Pele who was dour and miserable. I'd rather have someone like Helli around the club than someone like Fullerton in the same manner. 

He was "working" in an unpaid role (AFAIK) so while I would expect a certain level of professionalism whilst representing the club, I would also not expect him to be some sort of emotionless robot. It's not like he was someone like Tony Allan, drawing a wage and being expected to keep the club compliant with all the I's and T's that need crossing. Helli was more a bridge between the club staff and the fans and gave a big sense of community in uniting the two - something that has been lacking over the years. 

Could not have put it  better so well done,Jack was really upset and said he would never go down again after what happened to Hell which is sad because these two gave everything for our club.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Flea said:

No it wasn't that game, he was running up and down the touchline, banging on the Garforth dug out roof and being abusive to the Garforth management team and subs after we scored. He ended up with a touchline ban

2 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

No it wasn't that game, he was running up and down the touchline, banging on the Garforth dug out roof and being abusive to the Garforth management team and subs after we scored. He ended up with a touchline ban

Yeah I was stood right next to the dugouts and distinctly remember Helli running out in front of the Garforth dugout sticking both his fingers up as he celebrated in front of them. 

What a night, the stuff dreams are made of.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I have to say I have no memory of that happening (tbf at away grounds I always go behind the goal we attack when possible, so I wouldn’t have been near it), or of him serving a ban in truth. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, greg45 said:

Yeah I was stood right next to the dugouts and distinctly remember Helli running out in front of the Garforth dugout sticking both his fingers up as he celebrated in front of them. 

What a night, the stuff dreams are made of.

It was the previous season. I saw it, too. Jim Vince was manager and grabbed hold of Helli to try and calm him down. 

Edited by Shaymus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Remember him antagonising everybody including frequently abusing the liner at the famous Ossett Albion game

The problem with Helli was that he was a fan who was also working, and therefore representing the club, albeit on a voluntary basis. He often forgot when he was supposed to be one or the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Flea said:

Very well put and thanks for your nice comments about my dads emotions for the club 👍

11 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Like I’ve said in previous comments, I’m not condoning what he may have done or acted like but I know he may have been influenced in some of his actions by others telling him to wind up the opposition etc, I know this.  Also whatever he did or for whatever reasons it wouldn’t have been his intentions to get the club or anyone in trouble it was because of his love for the club and how much he wanted the club to do well. How he was at Wembley at the end was his joy at the club winning and probably any supporter of the club in his position would have done exactly the same if they had the opportunity and he knew that would be his last game.

everyone has their opinion and are entitled to it but not everything is as plain and simple as it may seem not just in the garforth game but in other things that we’re going on in the club.

at the end of the day he loved the club, it was his life, he did everything he could to do what he could for the team while he was there and he enjoyed it and had a great day out at Wembley to finish it off involved with a winning team, he isn’t going to return or get the chance so that’s it.

i Hope the club has success in the future as it’s a club that a few of my family have had connections with since I was born 👍

• Like 1

Never seen a manager sent out of the ground or in fact sent to the stands, never even seen a lino threatened by any manager or fan so guess i have just been lucky but i do remember a stupid chairman at Macclesfield who made 500 town fans go in a small stand which held about 200 fans when a open stand empty at the side held 1,000 but at h/t we took action when him and the stupid stewards did nothing and even worse the idiots at Northwich who made us exit with no lights down a muddy bank by a canal in our promotion year so yes sometimes we all do something stupid in the heat of the moment while watching football but then we move on and think of the good things in life and now its time for my happy pill.

• Like 4

Helliwell sounds like someone you shouldn't trust with scissors. Over-excitable and liable to forget he's carrying a dangerous weapon.

I don't know the guy, I'm sure he's great, but when you're in a position of trust - volunteer or not - you need to behave accordingly. I'm not buying the "he loved the club" crap - all of the club's volunteers do, yet most manage to contain themselves and not bring the club into disrepute.

And the last time he was on here he behaved worse than a toddler pumped up on full-fat Coca-Cola.

18 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Helliwell sounds like someone you shouldn't trust with scissors. Over-excitable and liable to forget he's carrying a dangerous weapon.

I don't know the guy, I'm sure he's great, but when you're in a position of trust - volunteer or not - you need to behave accordingly. I'm not buying the "he loved the club" crap - all of the club's volunteers do, yet most manage to contain themselves and not bring the club into disrepute.

And the last time he was on here he behaved worse than a toddler pumped up on full-fat Coca-Cola.

Well for myself I love that helli showed abit of passion and commitment to the club something a lot of staff and players don’t have these days. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bubba said:

Put his 'bad' behaviour aside, you cannot put a value on people like Helli for what they do behind the scenes. I dont mean helping with the kit, etc; but more the dressing room atmosphere and camaraderie. Part of the management team, but someone the players can speak to on a personal level which they may not be able to do with the manager. Every dressing room needs someone like him.

100%! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bubba said:

Put his 'bad' behaviour aside, you cannot put a value on people like Helli for what they do behind the scenes. I dont mean helping with the kit, etc; but more the dressing room atmosphere and camaraderie. Part of the management team, but someone the players can speak to on a personal level which they may not be able to do with the manager. Every dressing room needs someone like him.

To what end? To bad mouth the manager and undermine his authority? If it's just to talk, can't the players talk amongst themselves? Why do they need a third party to generate atmosphere and camaraderie? Are football players incapable of doing this without some nesbit running around in their midst?