As the BT commentators said "a proper game of football, excellent entertainment"

As the game grew so did we, I think due to the injury issue, we may have found our best formation. 2 spot on penalties for me but well done King for responding in a positive manor to secure the win. He appears to have put his dark side away & is contributing as a team player. Still young lets hope he learns how to defend a bit better. Glad to see Williams disapointment at being subbed, he had a good game & if it wasn't for the need of bringing Hyde on, I don't think he would have been taken off. Campbell was involved all game & showed some good defensive clearances when he dropped back to help. A good team effort, well done lads, safe journey home. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What also impressed me is how we played out the last 5 minutes limiting Torquay to one attack and that came from a foul by Maher. So many teams have done that to us over the years at The Shay. Great j

You can say what you like about this team, their faults, their frailties, but what a joy they are to watch.  It's a team with identity and attacking intent. They might not be good enough to go up

Town keep up their excellent record at Plainmoor when the fans aren't allowed in.

Posted Images

Wow, what a game and what a win, great performance from us! First half hour we mostly sat on the back foot with Torquay coming at us, but the defence was solid and limited them to only a few half chances. We go up the other end and get a huge slice of luck in the deflection for the goal, but they all count. Minutes later King leaves a leg out, penalty, and we're back level. I thought it was a foul, and maybe just inside the area, but such a tight call on that one. 1-1 at half time probably a fairly fair scoreline.

Second half we came out and there were a couple of early chances for Torquay, but we were dominating the play on the whole. A few good chances for us missed, including a glorious one for Campbell! How that didn't go in I have no idea... And not much later we look like regretting those missed chances with another penalty given against King. The first one I thought the ref made the right call, but the second one I don't think was a penalty. It was just a coming together of two players looking at the ball, neither of them would have got there either. The pen goes in and suddenly I'm fearing the worst like it might just be one of those days again. 

But Wild keeps faith with the players and they repay him with good play, continuing to go forward and create chances. A bit of a scramble, an ingenious assist from Campbell to Earing and we're back level. Earing is able to continue, despite the keeper's best efforts to take him out. Relieved to be back on terms, I'd probably have been happy with a draw away at top of the table, especially after losing to Barnet on Tuesday, but the team have other ideas. Breaking down the right, not sure who it was with the ball, but the elected to shoot straight into a defender when Earing was there for a good overlap ball and I'm groaning and cursing the poor decision making. But Super Jeff King gets the rebound, takes it past a couple of players and slots it nicely in the bottom corner for the winner! Town then see out the remaining few minutes calmly and get the 3 points. 

Hopefully we can push on, with a couple of players coming back from their injuries and get a few more wins. We are still very much in with a shout of being in the play offs again this season. This week we probably got about what I was expecting points-wise, although the results were reversed! If we'd beaten Barnet and lost to Torquay I don't think anyone would have complained too much. Onwards and upwards!

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

Wow, what a game and what a win, great performance from us! First half hour we mostly sat on the back foot with Torquay coming at us, but the defence was solid and limited them to only a few half chances. We go up the other end and get a huge slice of luck in the deflection for the goal, but they all count. Minutes later King leaves a leg out, penalty, and we're back level. I thought it was a foul, and maybe just inside the area, but such a tight call on that one. 1-1 at half time probably a fairly fair scoreline.

Second half we came out and there were a couple of early chances for Torquay, but we were dominating the play on the whole. A few good chances for us missed, including a glorious one for Campbell! How that didn't go in I have no idea... And not much later we look like regretting those missed chances with another penalty given against King. The first one I thought the ref made the right call, but the second one I don't think was a penalty. It was just a coming together of two players looking at the ball, neither of them would have got there either. The pen goes in and suddenly I'm fearing the worst like it might just be one of those days again. 

But Wild keeps faith with the players and they repay him with good play, continuing to go forward and create chances. A bit of a scramble, an ingenious assist from Campbell to Earing and we're back level. Earing is able to continue, despite the keeper's best efforts to take him out. Relieved to be back on terms, I'd probably have been happy with a draw away at top of the table, especially after losing to Barnet on Tuesday, but the team have other ideas. Breaking down the right, not sure who it was with the ball, but the elected to shoot straight into a defender when Earing was there for a good overlap ball and I'm groaning and cursing the poor decision making. But Super Jeff King gets the rebound, takes it past a couple of players and slots it nicely in the bottom corner for the winner! Town then see out the remaining few minutes calmly and get the 3 points. 

Hopefully we can push on, with a couple of players coming back from their injuries and get a few more wins. We are still very much in with a shout of being in the play offs again this season. This week we probably got about what I was expecting points-wise, although the results were reversed! If we'd beaten Barnet and lost to Torquay I don't think anyone would have complained too much. Onwards and upwards!

Allen.

Edited by Steve Lanzarote

I have access to both Sky & BT sport & generally watch most British Football on offer, not too fussed about Premier League unless there is a personal reason ie Wilder at Shef Utd or similar. But that was the best match I have watched in ages :)

• Like 1

We could put the poor performance against Barnet down to a long gap between games or the manager getting a reaction .

It's a bit frustrating that after tonight performance we have not got another game until Hartlepool at home on 2nd of March .

7 minutes ago, Jmc said:

Only criticism is our free kicks , their defenders knee caps must be stinging 

Knacker their kneecaps with free kicks and they won’t have the legs to chase you down when through on goal to curl the winner into the bottom corner ;)

Great result tonight, showed real character after that 2nd penalty to keep playing on the front foot. Both were pens for me, King just not defensively aware in truth.

Would like to se us revert to a back 4 now but put Maher at RB instead of King. Jeffs a good player but he's not a defender, far too rash and needs to be able express himself further forward.

Delighted as i am I don't see this as a turning point, we are just too Jeckyl anf Hyde to make the play offs imo.

Just want to see the players express themselves in what remains of the season and i think a change of formation couls help that.

Edited by greygoose
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Nick said:

Expecting a true continuation of the club that is halifax 

lose away at the bottom club then win away at the top club 

expecting nothing more than an away win 

0-2 to the mightily frustrating shaymen 

Yep .. got the Scoreline wrong .. the but the result right 

3 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Its in our hands to make playoffs, if we can beat Torquay away we surely have a chance of beating the enormous hartlepool at home (small h intended)

We can’t beat Hartlepool (large H intended)....nobody can. :ph34r:

Well, I was critical on Tuesday, but credit where its due. A decent performance plus result. We took the last two goals very well, and showed plenty of character. Thought King was "done" for the first pen - the attacker got him to stick his leg out, and deliberately fell over it. Can't complain, because that's exactly how King got his penalty in the first match this season.

The wind always influences matches at Plainmoor, and we had to defend when facing it first half. Second half allowed us to attack, and that's when Earing plays his best. After recent concerns, I watched Maher closely. He seemed to struggle to concentrate, but he was further forward than usual. Midfield without Summerfield and Woods was always going to be an issue. Jamie Allen would be better if he actually believed in himself, and Campbell put himself about nicely but needs a goal or two.

Think Torquay were restricted to 2 shots on target; both penalties. Can't ask for more than that away to the League leaders. Play-offs still there if we can get over the many injuries.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Shaymen2008 said:

Hopefully we can keep the score down to a single goal defeat. No natural goalscorer and a suspect keeper not good reading.

Bit like your post then.

13 hours ago, choppiebinkie said:

Where are the players all lined up and ready to sign pete is talking bollocks again 

Has said nobody would be coming in until the continuation of the league is sorted 

12 hours ago, choppiebinkie said:

Said it before are we pushing them too hard in training 

Woods got a knock in the Barnet game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify my comments on the Ref being a “Homer” They may well have both been penalties, but would they have been awarded to us as the away side......I doubt it.

Anyhow Shay Chums, enjoy that Sunday glow feeling following a great Saturday away win

Edited by thetalktrainer
  • Like 2
56 minutes ago, thetalktrainer said:

Just to clarify my comments on the Ref being a “Homer” They may well have both been penalties, but would they have been awarded to us as the away side......I doubt it.

Anyhow Shay Chums, enjoy that Sunday glow feeling following a great Saturday away win

We had two and they were not awarded.

15 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

We had two and they were not awarded.

100% not a foul on Earing and i cant remember the other i incident? I dont think we can complain really.

Its east to feel agreaved giving away 2 penalties, it rarely happens but thet were both correct imo.

15 minutes ago, greygoose said:

100% not a foul on Earing and i cant remember the other i incident? I dont think we can complain really.

Its east to feel agreaved giving away 2 penalties, it rarely happens but thet were both correct imo.

All i´m saying exactly the same reason given for why Earings was not a penalty should have applied to Torquay second penalty there is no way in a million years would their player have got to that ball.

13 hours ago, warleyshayman said:

A great performance only wished we had been there but what a crap Ref he books Maher for something and nothing but lets thier Captain get away with some thing a lot worse Southern based Refs we should be used to them

He was actually a northern ref Wirral based :o

9 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

All i´m saying exactly the same reason given for why Earings was not a penalty should have applied to Torquay second penalty there is no way in a million years would their player have got to that ball.

But the reason Earings is not a penalty is because their lad clearly plays the ball. Theres is a penalty because King trips the player, regardless of whether he would have got the ball.

Unless I missed something i dont get the comparisons?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, greygoose said:

But the reason Earings is not a penalty is because their lad clearly plays the ball. Theres is a penalty because King trips the player, regardless of whether he would have got the ball.

Unless I missed something i dont get the comparisons?

According to PW Earing had his heal clipped and that´s what it looked like on the replay and excuse given was the ball was going away from him.