Favourite Players starting with ...

On 2/27/2021 at 8:51 PM, Wilder Bollox said:

In no particular order and for a variety of reasons (mostly hair related)

Paul Stoneman, Steve Spooner, Adrian Shaw, Terry Shanahan and Bobby Scaife

I remember a Tuesday night game in the fog ( I can’t remember who against can anybody else ?) Steve spooner scored with a thunder bolt of a shot must have been 30 yard out , the ball  left his foot and traveled a foot high from leaving his boot to hitting the back off the net  keeper never moved, if you were on the opposite side off the ground  to the skircoat you wouldn’t have seen it.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Longhurst his goal away at Burnley was brilliant and still remember when I was in Griff’s and was told he had passed away

There's not that many Halifax Town players whose surnames begin with A, and Bill Atkins was before my time, so my pick would have to be BILLY AYRE. Tough as old boots, as hard as they come, nobody mes

Vernon Allatt. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Blueblood said:

I remember a Tuesday night game in the fog ( I can’t remember who against can anybody else ?) Steve spooner scored with a thunder bolt of a shot must have been 30 yard out , the ball  left his foot and traveled a foot high from leaving his boot to hitting the back off the net  keeper never moved, if you were on the opposite side off the ground  to the skircoat you wouldn’t have seen it.

I was in the Skircoat and didn't see it, I actually thought it was a Friday night but may be wrong. Was it against Northampton?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

I was in the Skircoat and didn't see it, I actually thought it was a Friday night but may be wrong. Was it against Northampton?

That sounds like the game against Northampton, the ref took the players off, the fog lifted they came back on, the fog came back down and the game was abandoned. 

2 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

I haven’t a clue who it was against, and  it could well have been a Friday evening game ? ( I’ve got one of those fading memories ha) I was stood near the front of the skircoat  and was able to follow the ball ok.

2 hours ago, Blueblood said:

I haven’t a clue who it was against, and  it could well have been a Friday evening game ? ( I’ve got one of those fading memories ha) I was stood near the front of the skircoat  and was able to follow the ball ok.

It was played on a Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

It was played on a Friday.

My memory might be failing me, but I think that was the first and last time I stayed at the plush digs that Zeb and Eddie's mate's shared above Elsie's chippy. Northampton had a very good team in those days with Hill and Morley up front. We spent the rest of the weekend between the Pigeons and the Shakespeare. I'd come up from university in Nottingham, but that 48 hours was a proper education. Having said all that, I could have mixed this up completely as I also remember coming up on a Friday night for a game against Port Vale in the early to mid-80s that ended 0-0.

W..............got to be Chris Wilder for me....would kick you into the stand if he could!

A great manager on a very limited budget too........got us to within just 600 seconds from the promised land.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Waddle, Wallace. Westlake.

But the star the one and only GEORGE WHITELAW. best ever.

Did Waddle end up at Liverpool??

1 hour ago, woody said:

Did Waddle end up at Liverpool??

Yes, he ended up with this! It's a humorous tale he told me about how he came to sign for Liverpool. John Toshack was set to leave for Leicester so Shankly was looking for a replacement, and having watched Waddle for Town, decided he might do. Waddle, of course, had scored the crucial goal at Walsall that sealed Town's safety from the drop into the Fourth Division but to help supplement his wages in the summer was working at the Ravenscar Hotel near Scarborough when Shankly enquired with George Mulhall about his availability. George had to ring Waddle at the hotel and told him to get to Leeds the following day; at this point Waddle had no idea what was happening. He met George at Leeds and spent the evening at his house, having now been told that he was going to Liverpool. The next day, Waddle accompanied George to Sheffield, where the signing of Dave Gwyther (Waddle's replacement) was completed, then went over to Liverpool, where they were met Bill Shankly and Liverpool secretary John Smith. Waddle duly signed the forms, passed the medical, then got a train from Lime Street back to Wallsend, where he hailed from. His time at Liverpool was not an overwhelming success, but he became a hero when his only goal for the club did seal a derby victory v Everton in December 1973, and Waddle was a member of their great Central League side. He featured in the 3-0 semi-final defeat of Zurich in the 1976-77 European Cup, and was on the bench when Liverpool defeated Borussia 3-1 in the final in Rome. Hence the photo.

Waddle, Alan (European Cup).jpg

• Like 3

The ultimate in reserve goalkeepers, Barry White . When he finally did get a run in the first team it was playing as a makeshift centre half

Phil Whitehead, an Halifax lad that started at his home club and went on to better things

Sean Williams, one of my favourite players for our reformed club

8 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Sean Williams, one of my favourite players for our reformed club

Loved his time so much he named his child after the ground 

39 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

You clearly forgot about Stan Xylophone.

Only 14 Halifax Town players (1911-2008) have a surname with an X in it, and only two with the new club.

Edited by Shaymus
On 3/2/2021 at 12:13 AM, themanwhowasntthere said:

My memory might be failing me, but I think that was the first and last time I stayed at the plush digs that Zeb and Eddie's mate's shared above Elsie's chippy. Northampton had a very good team in those days with Hill and Morley up front. We spent the rest of the weekend between the Pigeons and the Shakespeare. I'd come up from university in Nottingham, but that 48 hours was a proper education. Having said all that, I could have mixed this up completely as I also remember coming up on a Friday night for a game against Port Vale in the early to mid-80s that ended 0-0.

Bet Les told you a few stories about the terrible 2