2 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

1/3 of the pitch doesn't get sun on it during winter meaning thawing it out can be near impossible without it warming up?

Concrete block under a section of the pitch, again at the south stand end.

Clay under the pitch meaning it's difficult for water to drain away.

That's three reasons.

I accept your factors..coming back on one of them though. Bradford have bigger stands than we do..

I know all of these facts. Doesn't change the issues though are we just supposed to accept that we can't play at home 2/3 months a season for ever more? 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's as good as they could have done to be fair. Kudos to the club for having a backup plan to get to Southport in time.

That might work out OK as we could rearrange the Bromley game if it gets called off on Saturday, or use it for the Hartlepool game, as they are out of the FA Trophy as well. Apparently they were knock

1/3 of the pitch doesn't get sun on it during winter meaning thawing it out can be near impossible without it warming up? Concrete block under a section of the pitch, again at the south stand end

7 minutes ago, Greggs said:

I accept your factors..coming back on one of them though. Bradford have bigger stands than we do..

I know all of these facts. Doesn't change the issues though are we just supposed to accept that we can't play at home 2/3 months a season for ever more? 

Where have we not played at home for 2-3 months of a season?

Bradford have had plenty of problems with there pitch. I believe at one point they chose to put money into the playing budget rather than sort the pitch.  I also believe they cut the playing budget this season to attend to the pitch more. A lot will be if the sun gets on the pitch. Bradford also have the smaller stand behind the goal. They also probably don't have clay and a concrete block below the surface.

2 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

Where have we not played at home for 2-3 months of a season?

Bradford have had plenty of problems with there pitch. I believe at one point they chose to put money into the playing budget rather than sort the pitch.  I also believe they cut the playing budget this season to attend to the pitch more. A lot will be if the sun gets on the pitch. Bradford also have the smaller stand behind the goal. They also probably don't have clay and a concrete block below the surface.

We have an issue every single season between January and March. 

Last season was a rare occurrence that we didn't. 

I have just taken this from a bradford city article.

“Due to the minimal amount of work that was done on the pitch last summer for well-documented reasons, a lot of organic matter was left in place.

“This caused a major reduction in drainage from the surface and led to a far from ideal pitch as the season wore on.

“We thank Richard Peel Ground Care. We really appreciate what they’ve done in a short period of time for us.”

29 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Negative is what I do. 

We are not just talking about the current season though are we? 

This is a seasonally problem. Should it just be accepted that we can't play at home in Winter every season? 

Other clubs do not seem to have the same issues. Even clubs in relatively close proximity to us. Rochdale got there pitch playable on Saturday. Bradford got there pitch playable (even though it got postponed for outside facfors) Huddersfield never seem to have issues. 

What is so special about us that means we can't play at home between January and March? 

Huddersfield have under soil heating in place 

43 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Negative is what I do. 

We are not just talking about the current season though are we? 

This is a seasonally problem. Should it just be accepted that we can't play at home in Winter every season? 

Other clubs do not seem to have the same issues. Even clubs in relatively close proximity to us. Rochdale got there pitch playable on Saturday. Bradford got there pitch playable (even though it got postponed for outside facfors) Huddersfield never seem to have issues. 

What is so special about us that means we can't play at home between January and March? 

Drainage is the key issue along with the clay beneath the surface that compounds this and without thousands being spent to alleviate this the issue is not going to go away.

24 minutes ago, Greggs said:

We have an issue every single season between January and March. 

Last season was a rare occurrence that we didn't. 

In fairness, there has been a marked improvement in the past 3/4 seasons to the amount of games getting called off. It is still not great, however I think some are really over reacting to the situation every time a game gets called off. 

You can't stop grounds from being frozen really unless you want to spaff hundreds of thousands or more on undersoil heating. It is also a fact that when you have two teams playing on a pitch in wet/snowy weather it will reduce the quality of the playing pitch and its conditions. We are in a situation where we share a ground with the rugby club and the offshoot to that is the pitch will, under normal seasons, take heavy usage in the winter months.

Going back 5/6 years the pitch really was a joke. Having to reschedule games in Rochdale and Manchester for example - and knowing any tiny bit of rain would put the game in doubt was starting to become the norm. In the last 3 or 4 seasons however while we still struggle with the corner under the south stand, and while we still see games getting called off, we have seen less games called of than 14 other teams at this level. 

Statistically we are above average for getting games on. However, lets not let facts get in the way of a moan. 

Edited by Flea
  • Haha 1

Posted on Twitter at 14:10

Following a pitch inspection by the referee, the pitch has been deemed playable. We will continue tonight’s game at the Shay. The pitch will be assessed later by the match referee as per match day protocols.

Game deemed fit at the early inspection. We  now wait to see what the match referee has to say when he turns up. So it either goes ahead tonight at the Shay or we go to Southport tomorrow night.

Watching the weather forecast, the rain is not expected to be full on until 21:00. At present in Leeds we have had little or no rain for the last 2 or 3 hours, so hopefully it will be intermittent for the rest of the day. 

Edited by ITMAN
1 hour ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

1/3 of the pitch doesn't get sun on it during winter meaning thawing it out can be near impossible without it warming up?

Concrete block under a section of the pitch, again at the south stand end.

Clay under the pitch meaning it's difficult for water to drain away.

That's three reasons.

Reason 4 - We forget to turn our under soil heating on.

Reason 5 - TJA doesn't have his car heater on hot enough.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Pitch played well after all the fuss, probably suited Southport as they looked very limited barring a couple of players.

Yes it did Roy, suprised how well it held up. proper football pitch.

• Like 1