32 minutes ago, Flea said:

Come on, we can't have any complaints about the league. When I pointed out they did exactly the same thing with their promise of the season not starting without fans (before pulling the rug 5 days before it started) I was told I was moaning. 

I'm torn on what should happen next. I think clubs need to be provided adequate funding that can help bridge the losses of what they would have got from a normal season, however strongly object to the clubs that have been run financially recklessly from benefiting. 

Maybe something like looking at the match day revenue each club made in the season before Covid, compare it to what has been made this season and make up the difference, or make up 80% of it, in line with furlough. 

Clubs that have been spending beyond their means and using things like Director investments, or external revenue streams to financially dope their playing teams (The likes of Borehamwood, Solihull, Stockport, Eastleigh come to minds) shouldn't be bailed out. 

Very sensible thoughts. I 100% agree that any funding should be proportional to last season/season before's match day income, with small adjustments for any teams that were promoted/relegated to account for expected changes in attendances.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or we could address the elephant in the room - the FA is not a poor organisation. There is more than enough money in the game that each of the 66 clubs in the National league could each be given sever

Never mind all that.  We need 2 new full time (not loan) 20+ goal strikers, pay off the Manager if he succumbs to 2 consecutive defeats and some new pitch covers.

The Government gave out grants because clubs had no income coming in from spectators at the ground. That situation is still the case, and it is because the Government have instructed there can be no f

This article about tomorrow's meeting is worth a read, particularly the paragraph starting "It is understood that"

National League clubs will discuss ending their season during crisis talks on Wednesday over Government funding now coming in the form of loans instead of grants.

Some teams in the fifth and sixth tiers are furious after receiving assistance to start the 2020-21 campaign but are now being told £11 million more will have to be paid back.

Representatives from the National League, National League North and South will meet in small groups during the morning and early afternoon to talk through options, which includes taking on more debt or stopping the season.

“If these loans are the final straw, it sends them over the edge,” said one senior National League source. "The big issue is that we only started the season because we were promised a grant if we weren't allowed to have crowds.”

It is understood that any loans from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport will have to be taken on as a group, rather than having some clubs taking on more debt and others refusing. And borrowing more money has led to fears about the implications for clubs in terms of where the loan stands with regard to other debt, security over the loan and repayments, even on soft terms.

The Covid-19 tier-system in England meant some clubs in eligible areas were allowed 2,000 supporters through the turnstiles but the return to full lockdown has ended all hope of imminent gate-receipt income for clubs.

Clubs are also angry because staff were taken off furlough because of the 'grants' but the funding deal has now changed.

Dagenham managing director Steve Thompson has urged the Government to reconsider its decision. He does not expect a vote on ending the season until later in the month after the problems are discussed.

"When it became clear that we weren't going to get supporters back negotiations started again with the DCMS, it started to become apparent that it would have to be via loans,” Thompson said. "But that has only been crystallised in the last week or so. We have asked DCMS to reconsider. I can't see how clubs can commit to wages after the end of January.

"By giving the impression we were going to get grant money if supporters weren't allowed back in by January then clubs have taken on players on new contracts. Kicking off the season has given them a liability for the whole season.”

• Like 1

I just hope someone points out to the Government that it will cost more in Furlough than it will giving out the grants. 

I really don't want the season to stop especially if that's it done until August but that's the way its heading at the moment 

Problem is that some clubs are able to use the grants as extra funds whilst others just about cover their overheads . I know it's a lot of work but clubs should only be getting money on a week to week basis when and where they need it rather than flashing them a wad of cash and telling them to spend it recklessly

1 hour ago, Greggs said:

I just hope someone points out to the Government that it will cost more in Furlough than it will giving out the grants. 

I really don't want the season to stop especially if that's it done until August but that's the way its heading at the moment 

After listening to Southports manager, I’ve definitely come round to the idea of calling the season off right now and furloughing the players. The Leadership from the national league has been a disgrace, and no club should be made to take loans out due to the incompetence of those in charge. 

I could go With my reasons, but as of now, I think we should call it a day for this season.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shaymen down under said:

After listening to Southports manager, I’ve definitely come round to the idea of calling the season off right now and furloughing the players. The Leadership from the national league has been a disgrace, and no club should be made to take loans out due to the incompetence of those in charge. 

I could go With my reasons, but as of now, I think we should call it a day for this season.

It'll go to a vote again. Where you'll have a free for all of teams voting to match their needs. I don't think Torquay will be wanting the season to end do you? 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Greggs said:

It'll go to a vote again. Where you'll have a free for all of teams voting to match their needs. I don't think Torquay will be wanting the season to end do you? 

Maybe in a month or two if they maintain their form. Then they wouldn’t want season to stop., But teams haven’t even played half the games this season. I don’t think Torquay are flushed with cash and weighing up taking 100’s of thousands in loans is quite risky. Forget wanting what we want personally as football fans of  watching  football. What positive reason is their for the season continuing at the moment. 25 Darlington players just travelled in a coach to Weymouth and back, with no mandatory covid testing in place. FL managers are intensive care. And personally after the first wave where most of us probably didn’t know many who had virus, these last few months of the second wave are the complete opposite where I’m in the minority of people who haven’t had it yet.

Edited by shaymen down under
2 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

Maybe in a month or two if they maintain their form. Then they wouldn’t want season to stop., But teams haven’t even played half the games this season. I don’t think Torquay are flushed with cash and weighing up taking 100’s of thousands in loans is quite risky. Forget wanting we want personally as football fans and the fact that the clubs can furlough players, what positive reason is their for the season continuing at the moment. 25 Darlington players just travelled in a coach to Weymouth and back, with no mandatory covid testing in place. FL managers are intensive care. And personally after the first wave where most of us probably didn’t know many who had virus, these last few months of the second wave are the complete opposite where I’m in the minority of people who haven’t had it yet.

I fully agree with what your saying. But its not upto us to decide. I can't help but think that the Government will end up flipping that decision under pressure.

10 hours ago, Greggs said:

What about if the season was just put on hold, not for a few weeks, but until its safe for it to return, lets just pick September as a hypothetical date. Then every team starts from exactly where we are now, complete this season through till the end of April 2022, take a mid winter break so we arent cramming ridiculous amounts of games into to little time. All the current and outstanding cup competitions could be completed and hopefully everything will be straight across the board to start the 22/23 season from scratch and we can write this period off into the history books.

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

What about if the season was just put on hold, not for a few weeks, but until its safe for it to return, lets just pick September as a hypothetical date. Then every team starts from exactly where we are now, complete this season through till the end of April 2022, take a mid winter break so we arent cramming ridiculous amounts of games into to little time. All the current and outstanding cup competitions could be completed and hopefully everything will be straight across the board to start the 22/23 season from scratch and we can write this period off into the history books.

Dont think those in charge of the league will want the national league to be on a different season that's the thing. You'll have the national league playing season 20/21 whilst all above leagues are playing season 21/22. I dont think a pause will happen nor do I think it should it's just not logistically possible. If it stops that will be season over

9 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Dont think those in charge of the league will want the national league to be on a different season that's the thing. You'll have the national league playing season 20/21 whilst all above leagues are playing season 21/22. I dont think a pause will happen nor do I think it should it's just not logistically possible. If it stops that will be season over

It wouldnt matter, everything would be brought back to a straight line, all outstanding cup games including finals etc would have been completed, dont start any new cup competitions, so at the given time the 22/23 season would kick off with every team back at point zero. Everyone gets their fix of football, players keep playing and hopefully we have supporters back in the stadiums. As we stand it's all about survival.

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

Whilst paying fulltime contracts with only 16 home games?  The FA trophy games could becarried forward but where would it leave Chorley still in this season's FA cup?

5 minutes ago, shaykehands said:

Whilst paying fulltime contracts with only 16 home games?  The FA trophy games could becarried forward but where would it leave Chorley still in this season's FA cup?

The players will have to be paid one way or another whatever happens, and with all due respect I dont think Chorley will be worrying about the cup after Saturday. Look, It's only me thinking out loud. We are right back where we were last March, and unless a way is found to bring everything back to a straight line theres gonna be issues for several seasons to come. So to me, it makes sense to try and over an extended period of time to get all our leagues back a renewed starting point.

On 1/19/2021 at 1:06 PM, bazza45 said:

It's FREE financial advice.  Not much in life is free!

Covid is free. There are literally thousands of people waiting to give it to you FOC :(

Edited by Shaymen2008
Spelling mistake
52 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

It wouldnt matter, everything would be brought back to a straight line, all outstanding cup games including finals etc would have been completed, dont start any new cup competitions, so at the given time the 22/23 season would kick off with every team back at point zero. Everyone gets their fix of football, players keep playing and hopefully we have supporters back in the stadiums. As we stand it's all about survival.

Yes but your saying our new season wouldn't kick off until the middle of next year. If everyone else keeps going above. Their season would finish in May. Then in order to bring everyone back in line that Would mean the leagues above having a year long break. Unless I'm misreading what you are saying

Just now, Greggs said:

Yes but your saying our new season wouldn't kick off until the middle of next year. If everyone else keeps going above. Their season would finish in May. Then in order to bring everyone back in line that Would mean the leagues above having a year long break. Unless I'm misreading what you are saying

I'm assuming that the Premier, Championship and 1 & 2 will continue on. I'm only basing my thoughts on the talk of our league and North & South having to abandon.

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

I'm assuming that the Premier, Championship and 1 & 2 will continue on. I'm only basing my thoughts on the talk of our league and North & South having to abandon.

Yes but if they do carry on how do we get our season back in line with League 2 and above? As they will be on next season before we finish this season. That's the way I'm seeing it anyway

15 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Yes but if they do carry on how do we get our season back in line with League 2 and above? As they will be on next season before we finish this season. That's the way I'm seeing it anyway

Well they could scrap this season for National and North/South, and go again in Aug/Sept for the 2021/22 season, aligning it with the L2 21/22 season, with no teams being promoted into the FL, or relegated into NL this summer. 

Id hope the Conference National clubs would then be on to the Conference for compensation for what has been nothing but a farce for the past year. They have created this mess by going back on assurances not once, but twice now. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Flea said:

Well they could scrap this season for National and North/South, and go again in Aug/Sept for the 2021/22 season, aligning it with the L2 21/22 season, with no teams being promoted into the FL, or relegated into NL this summer. 

Id hope the Conference National clubs would then be on to the Conference for compensation for what has been nothing but a farce for the past year. They have created this mess by going back on assurances not once, but twice now. 

That makes more sense to me than trying to restart this season at a later date. 

As I said last night though I can't help but think there will be a change of mind 

3 hours ago, Flea said:

Torquay would love that decision