Been announced by chadders favourite journalist “Ollie Bayliss” that the next round of funding will be coming as loans and not grants. This has caused a lot of issues and many clubs are saying they would rather furlough players then take out loans. A meeting is scheduled for Wednesday among the clubs supposedly. Season maybe finished sooner rather than later.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or we could address the elephant in the room - the FA is not a poor organisation. There is more than enough money in the game that each of the 66 clubs in the National league could each be given sever

Never mind all that.  We need 2 new full time (not loan) 20+ goal strikers, pay off the Manager if he succumbs to 2 consecutive defeats and some new pitch covers.

The Government gave out grants because clubs had no income coming in from spectators at the ground. That situation is still the case, and it is because the Government have instructed there can be no f

Paying furlough makes more sense, however clubs would still bankrupt themselves by paying the remainder of the players entitlements in many cases. 

Lots of companies aren’t entitled to grants and will either go to the wall or survive by cutting staff and relying on loans. Can’t see why professional football should be any different. Those clubs who survive won’t have learned anything from this and will continue to live beyond their means. This is probably the only way in which they should be considered ‘special’..

28 minutes ago, oldskir said:

If the money is only a loan, it could end up bankrupting certain clubs.

Surely as long as the Government won't allow paying spectators in to grounds, they should continue to pay grants?

Agree, if the govt want to deem these as loans then they have to allow the clubs some way of raising income to pay for them, otherwise it is a slippery slope to seeing a lot of these clubs going out of business in the not too distant future.

How many of the clubs already being bankrolled by "rich" owners are going to see them want to take on more liability?  

• Like 1

It's a difficult one. Should clubs who are bankrolled, with costs greater than income, be allowed to take advantage of furlough?

I suppose its no different to companies who pay out huge dividends to shareholders.

1 hour ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Wouldn't clubs be allowed to furlough players for some of their hours and employ them for the remainder?  1 day training and match day For example? 

In theory, I believe. There are some people at the company I work for who are on furlough 1/2 days a week and working the other 3/4, with a normal weekend of 2 days off.

15 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

What a massive cock up by the National League. Clubs played this season on the promise of grants, which the National League assured were being provided.

Appears they didn’t get anything cast iron agreed and now Sport England have pulled the rug from under it.

Money was only ever promised for part of the season . Not sure where they go from here with no sight of crowds or funding

43 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

What a massive cock up by the National League. Clubs played this season on the promise of grants, which the National League assured were being provided.

Appears they didn’t get anything cast iron agreed and now Sport England have pulled the rug from under it.

Interesting information coming out is that if all the players/staff are furloughed it will cost £14million of all 66 clubs, compared to the £10 million in grants that were provided for the first few months of the season..

Edited by shaymen down under

I fail to see how it can stop and then restart again. 

If league 2 carried on you'd have seasons finishing at different times how would you do promotion and relegation without there being uproar from the teams involved? If there's no promotion and relegation what's the point in even starting this season again at all. 

How would you then start the next National season on time? 

If it stops that's season over there simply isn't the time to stop and then start it again. 

Cant just say congratulations National league play off winners now crack on the league 2 season starts in 2 weeks. 

Edited by Greggs
8 hours ago, shaymen down under said:

Interesting information coming out is that if all the players/staff are furloughed it will cost £14million of all 66 clubs, compared to the £10 million in grants that were provided for the first few months of the season..

Furlough could be a problem though. It’s currently only due to run out at the end of April. So you could end the season, furlough and then have a full wage bill for 2 months after. 

12 hours ago, Bubba said:

I suppose its no different to companies who pay out huge dividends to shareholders.

Slightly off topic. But could you recommend which companies you were thinking of. There are many of us with pension funds that would benefit by buying shares in these companies. 

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Slightly off topic. But could you recommend which companies you were thinking of. There are many of us with pension funds that would benefit by buying shares in these companies. 

Problem with a lot of shares is that the huge dividend is reflected in the price of the share . Shares can go down as well as up and dividends can be scrapped . But you could have made a lot of money with wise investment in the March crash . I didn't buy but wish I had and I'm surprised how few companies have gone to the wall so far but Babcocks demonstrate that you still need to be cautious

28 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Ive heard of some (energy supplier SSE were one I think); there might not be many but the pandemic wont have financially hit every business and shareholders will still be expecting payouts.

10 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Ive heard of some (energy supplier SSE were one I think); there might not be many but the pandemic wont have financially hit every business and shareholders will still be expecting payouts.

Possibly give good divided but at a range of £10 to £17 per share you've an heavy investment for your return and a long way to fall should they crash . You're committing a lot of money if they slash the dividend from the current 5% or another price crash comes if the covid vaccines aren't working

33 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

I will keep my little amount of spare cash in the shoebox under the bed for now.😀

My late Uncle made over a million in ten years sitting watching teletext all day . He didn't need the money and frittered most of it away spending the next ten years having a lot of fun gambling on penny shares

I bought some oil stocks at the bottom of the oil price crash .. have so far turned a nice profit, I am still holding some shares 

Apache Corp in the US .. think will double in value over the next year moderate risk .. making big discoveries in Suriname which the market has yet understood. 

Tullow oil .. a bit riskier but I can see a 50 percent gain over the next year 

and the Lloyds bank .. might take two to three  years but I can see a 50 percent to 100 percent gain .. but being a bank I thinks it’s a low risk 

but only buy if you can afford to lose and are prepared to wait 1-3 years 

Edited by Nick
27 minutes ago, Nick said:

I bought some oil stocks at the bottom of the oil price crash .. have so far turned a nice profit, I am still holding some shares 

Apache Corp in the US .. think will double in value over the next year moderate risk .. making big discoveries in Suriname which the market has yet understood. 

Tullow oil .. a bit riskier but I can see a 50 percent gain over the next year 

and the Lloyds bank .. might take two to three  years but I can see a 50 percent to 100 percent gain .. but being a bank I thinks it’s a low risk 

but only buy if you can afford to lose and are prepared to wait 1-3 years 

Problem with Lloyds is too many shares on the market means they'll do a consolidation as soon as they dare . Preferring Barclays at the moment

14 hours ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Come on, we can't have any complaints about the league. When I pointed out they did exactly the same thing with their promise of the season not starting without fans (before pulling the rug 5 days before it started) I was told I was moaning. 

I'm torn on what should happen next. I think clubs need to be provided adequate funding that can help bridge the losses of what they would have got from a normal season, however strongly object to the clubs that have been run financially recklessly from benefiting. 

Maybe something like looking at the match day revenue each club made in the season before Covid, compare it to what has been made this season and make up the difference, or make up 80% of it, in line with furlough. 

Clubs that have been spending beyond their means and using things like Director investments, or external revenue streams to financially dope their playing teams (The likes of Borehamwood, Solihull, Stockport, Eastleigh come to minds) shouldn't be bailed out.