Ground covers - crowd funding

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Id say I would class that as a tenant/landlord issue and would want to see at the very least an equal contribution from the landlord to resolving the issue.   

Operation "Pitch mask" To stop the spread of frozen pitches we are requesting during these colder times the pitch is covered with a pitch mask.  The pitch should be wearing a mask when out i

Would buying a giant Kettle be cheaper? surely pouring hot water over the pitch would solve any issues with a frozen pitch?

If we put it all in context we were scheduled to have played 18 league games to date. As it stands we have played 17.

So a one game backlog is not something we should all be getting into a lather about. If come the end of January we are looking at a backlog of 4 games then we might have something to worry about.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

If we put it all in context we were scheduled to have played 18 league games to date. As it stands we have played 17.

So a one game backlog is not something we should all be getting into a lather about. If come the end of January we are looking at a backlog of 4 games then we might have something to worry about.

I don't think we are. The chimp chokers however........  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Bubba said:

We dont know whether it is in the Council's remit. Is it in the Council's remit to provide goal posts (football and rugby), corner flags, etc?

I would assume it will be similar to the local park. A local football club will pay the council an annual amount to provide and maintain (cut the grass) the pitch. But are they responsible for providing pitch covers?

This. Depends what's in the agreement. You could ask the Council to fund it, but they'd likely have to put up the rent to cover it. 

Feels like a football club responsibility to me, whichever way you cut it, and I suspect it would pay for itself fairly quickly too. 

That said, getting a Saturday afternoon game on after a frost is one thing, whether covers do much to prevent falling temperatures for an evening game is a different matter. 

1 hour ago, ITMAN said:

It's not just about this season though ITMAN we have a consistent issue 99% of seasons between January and March. We can say "games get called off in winter, deal with it" 

Until one season we fall behind and end up losing a key game due to fatigue from trying to catch up. 

Even this season when we are ahead with games less than 2 weeks into January and we have already had 2 weather related postponements at the Shay. 

Edited by Greggs
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, never_shay_die said:

I'm in two minds whether to get a crowdfunding started.  Just based on the replies on here I can't imagine we'd get anywhere near £10k, assuming the likelihood that the council wouldn't contribute (and in all honesty in the current times I wouldn't want to even approach them) nor the rugby club.

Perhaps we could approach Jeff Stelling for sponsorship.

• Like 2

I remember as a kid the piles of straw that used to be piled up on the sides of pitches during cold snaps. The straw was put on the pitch to protect it from frost and then cleared before the game. How successful this was i don't know or remember. This was long before the days of undersoil heating and probably coincided with the big freeze of 62/63 when there was no League football for months.