Ground covers - crowd funding

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Id say I would class that as a tenant/landlord issue and would want to see at the very least an equal contribution from the landlord to resolving the issue.   

Operation "Pitch mask" To stop the spread of frozen pitches we are requesting during these colder times the pitch is covered with a pitch mask.  The pitch should be wearing a mask when out i

Would buying a giant Kettle be cheaper? surely pouring hot water over the pitch would solve any issues with a frozen pitch?

2 minutes ago, Flea said:

In fairness, I don't know why the Rugby club would be expected to pick up the tab on this one considering it isn't an issue for them. 

However, maybe they could instead fund raise for a score board at the same time. Both items then become available to both teams on a match day...

Flea, I came in a bit late on the discussion and missed the other comments, however, as since posted, could the covers server a dual purpose, i.e protect from frost and waterlogging?

Edited by ITMAN
2 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Not being an expert on ground covers but would they not server a dual purpose, in that as well as protecting the pitch from frost exposure would they also help to prevent heavy rain from making the pitch waterlogged? That way they would also be of use to the egg chasers.

So what would you want to do with the water that falls on top of the covers?

Just now, Bubba said:

So what would you want to do with the water that falls on top of the covers?

Bubba, it depends on whether the problem with the drainage is an all pitch issue or just some areas? Either way from what I have seen in the past there will be ways to channel the water off and then into a drainage system around the pitch. While we are looking at covers, we seem to have the old fashioned type which are more or less tarpaulins laid on the pitch. There are alternatives which I have seen such as inflatable covers, which may be more effective as these can incorporate a hot air option to help thaw out frozen surfaces, or fixed covers more like used for cricket, but these would come with a storage problem when not in use.

52 minutes ago, Flea said:

Maybe said in jest, however changing the roof of the South Stand could go a long way to improving things. The current roof blocks all sunlight from hitting the pitch, if we had a clear one it would help that part of the pitch that struggles. 

I'm not sure how much replacing the roof would cost however I would assume it wouldn't be the cheapest option on the table. 

Might risk turning the area into a greenhouse instead. During August games opposition defenders may risk spontaneously bursting into flames - think ants under a magnifying glass. Could be an interesting tactic :lol:

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Flea said:

Maybe said in jest, however changing the roof of the South Stand could go a long way to improving things. The current roof blocks all sunlight from hitting the pitch, if we had a clear one it would help that part of the pitch that struggles. 

I'm not sure how much replacing the roof would cost however I would assume it wouldn't be the cheapest option on the table. 

When the South Stand was being constructed a clear perspex type roof was muted but deemed it would look shoddy on a new stand.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I'm being genuine when I say this as I've seen examples before. Don't west Yorkshire Police have any weed growing equpment going spare that's they've confiscated. 

It turns a negative into a positive and shows a good spirit helping others out. Only going to end up in landfill. 

As daft as it sounds a sensible suggestion. The issue is who pays for the leccy? 

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

We dont know whether it is in the Council's remit. Is it in the Council's remit to provide goal posts (football and rugby), corner flags, etc?

I would assume it will be similar to the local park. A local football club will pay the council an annual amount to provide and maintain (cut the grass) the pitch. But are they responsible for providing pitch covers?

Can't really compare what is paid for / expected to be provided for park football to that of two part time / full time professional clubs at The Shay. 

6 minutes ago, chadders said:

Can't really compare what is paid for / expected to be provided for park football to that of two part time / full time professional clubs at The Shay. 

You can, unless its clearly stated in the tenancy who is responsible for what. 

• Like 1

I'm in two minds whether to get a crowdfunding started.  Just based on the replies on here I can't imagine we'd get anywhere near £10k, assuming the likelihood that the council wouldn't contribute (and in all honesty in the current times I wouldn't want to even approach them) nor the rugby club.

Edited by never_shay_die

You could sell it as the equivalent of losing two streaming matches. The next two postponed weather games we have fans put their £10 into the pot for the covers instead of the game etc...

If we say we get 500 home fans streaming games at £10 a pop, if those fans were to instead donate those £10's, two game worth fills the 10k. 

For example, every Town fan that paid £12 to watch a screen full of fog at the weekend could claim a refund, then donate £10 (or the whole £12) to that fund...

I'm lukewarm to the idea however if you get something running I will promote it and get behind it the best I can on social media like the last few fundraising attempts. 

Edited by Flea
  • Like 1

Operation "Pitch mask"

To stop the spread of frozen pitches we are requesting during these colder times the pitch is covered with a pitch mask. 

The pitch should be wearing a mask when out in public at all times during the winter, unless it has an exemption (Sunny weather). 

Cover the pitch. Stop the frost. Save matches. 

• Haha 3