Ground covers - crowd funding

Os has suggested that better covers on front of the South Stand would make big difference on the number of winter postponements we have.  They would cost around £10k.

What do we think the interest in crowd funding this would be? I imagine apethetic as most people might say the club should pay, but thought I'd ask the question.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Id say I would class that as a tenant/landlord issue and would want to see at the very least an equal contribution from the landlord to resolving the issue.   

Operation "Pitch mask" To stop the spread of frozen pitches we are requesting during these colder times the pitch is covered with a pitch mask.  The pitch should be wearing a mask when out i

Would buying a giant Kettle be cheaper? surely pouring hot water over the pitch would solve any issues with a frozen pitch?

6 minutes ago, Flea said:

Id say I would class that as a tenant/landlord issue and would want to see at the very least an equal contribution from the landlord to resolving the issue. 

Agreed - we shouldn't be crowd funding something that is in the Council's remit as the landlord as to whether they provide it or not.

i think this would be a good idea, we do seem to be a little bit behind most clubs when it comes to protecting the shay surface, it is well known that the south stand area is liable to retain frost and anything to enhance the possiblity of getting a game on, is in the best interests of the club, players and manager. we will have lost money on the postponement of last nights game.it ]] might be the game would have been called off anyway, but at least with better covers it gives the ground staff [ oz and co] a fighting chance.  we have raised incredible amounts for the end of season play offs and for our efforts in dipping in our pockets for charlies wheelchair, so maybe £10 or £20 from 500 fans could go a long way to make oz's dream come true. the council arent likely to help the cause and for the rugby club ,forget it

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Flea said:

Supposing the council say no (especially given the current financial pressure they are under).  

Would we have any chance of raising £10k between the fans?

16 minutes ago, never_shay_die said:

Supposing the council say no (especially given the current financial pressure they are under).  

But why should we? I don't crowd fund a private bin collection when my inept Council don't bother to come half the time.

21 minutes ago, greg45 said:

Agreed - we shouldn't be crowd funding something that is in the Council's remit as the landlord as to whether they provide it or not.

We dont know whether it is in the Council's remit. Is it in the Council's remit to provide goal posts (football and rugby), corner flags, etc?

I would assume it will be similar to the local park. A local football club will pay the council an annual amount to provide and maintain (cut the grass) the pitch. But are they responsible for providing pitch covers?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, never_shay_die said:

I'd say its probable, but there will probably also be a lot of apathy towards it too. 

The pitch has been problematic for years - and if it wasn't for the likes of Ozy and Co basically working their arse off on it it would probably have lost a hell of a lot more games. The concern I have is that we have had a lot of "quick fixes" (IE verti draining and dumping blackpool beach onto the pitch) over the years which makes the pitch OK for a short time, but does not fix the underlaying problems (Its well known the drains being blocked was a major problem for example). 

If there was a proper viable plan in place by the council to once and for all fix the legacy problems with the pitch with proper investment/treatment then it would make the fans stumping up for covers more palatable. As fans we could raise the money for the covers, but if the underlying problems on drainage and sun exposure exist, its not going to help us long term.

If the fans were to fund this then I'd want to see an effort from the council in also improving the conditions. 

Edited by Flea
  • Like 1

It seems to be a yearly issue between Jan and March. Having seen the covers on the Hartlepool managers interview I doubt they would keep me warm in my own bed let alone protect the pitch against the cold. 

We are talking about being fully full time next season and for me that should stretch across the professionalism of the whole club not just the playing staff and being able to play in cold weather would come into that bracket. 

An improvement is needed however it is achieved. 

41 minutes ago, kirkbymoorsidesteve said:

i think this would be a good idea, we do seem to be a little bit behind most clubs when it comes to protecting the shay surface, it is well known that the south stand area is liable to retain frost and anything to enhance the possiblity of getting a game on, is in the best interests of the club, players and manager. we will have lost money on the postponement of last nights game.it ]] might be the game would have been called off anyway, but at least with better covers it gives the ground staff [ oz and co] a fighting chance.  we have raised incredible amounts for the end of season play offs and for our efforts in dipping in our pockets for charlies wheelchair, so maybe £10 or £20 from 500 fans could go a long way to make oz's dream come true. the council arent likely to help the cause and for the rugby club ,forget it

How much would it cost to pull the South Stand down??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, TommyH72 said:

How much would it cost to pull the South Stand down??

Maybe said in jest, however changing the roof of the South Stand could go a long way to improving things. The current roof blocks all sunlight from hitting the pitch, if we had a clear one it would help that part of the pitch that struggles. 

I'm not sure how much replacing the roof would cost however I would assume it wouldn't be the cheapest option on the table. 

While the pitch/drainage needs fixing and that will continue to be an ongoing problem ..frost protection covers is a direct solution to this problem of a frozen ground .. regardless of the other issues 

so investing in covers now is a good idea.. and will serve the club for years to come 

the rugby girls couldn’t careless and the council hasn’t the money 

So I for one would support some form of crowd funding 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bubba said:

And with the Council looking at increasing council tax by 5% I cant see the wider public of Calderdale viewing some frost protective covers as money well spent.

Agreed it’s not where their priorities should be 

• Like 1

Not being an expert on ground covers but would they not server a dual purpose, in that as well as protecting the pitch from frost exposure would they also help to prevent heavy rain from making the pitch waterlogged? That way they would also be of use to the egg chasers.

4 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Not to mention the other tenant....

In fairness, I don't know why the Rugby club would be expected to pick up the tab on this one considering it isn't an issue for them. 

However, maybe they could instead fund raise for a score board at the same time. Both items then become available to both teams on a match day...