Accrington Stanley from an outsider

It’s a stunning achievement and one of the proudest in league football. Have they actually used that few players all season? In the mid-‘80s Bury were promoted in a season where they used no more than 15 players, who were from and mostly stayed in the northwest. Even then it was an incredible achievement, and only the Shaymen dealt them a heavy defeat that season. For an additional local angle, hundreds of Bury fans nipped over the Pennines for a night match at the Shay that mathematically secured their promotion.

Managing that in 2021, where the money percolates ever deeper into everything we do, would put Bury’s achievement in the former Div 4 in the shade.

• Like 1

According to the sky commentator they has

7 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

It’s a stunning achievement and one of the proudest in league football. Have they actually used that few players all season? In the mid-‘80s Bury were promoted in a season where they used no more than 15 players, who were from and mostly stayed in the northwest. Even then it was an incredible achievement, and only the Shaymen dealt them a heavy defeat that season. For an additional local angle, hundreds of Bury fans nipped over the Pennines for a night match at the Shay that mathematically secured their promotion.

Managing that in 2021, where the money percolates ever deeper into everything we do, would put Bury’s achievement in the former Div 4 in the shade.

According to the Sky commentator, yes they had only used 14 players. You need some luck with injuries granted, but they said the manager believes in keeping a small squad. their young centre forward who came from lower league has a presence about him, difficult to knock off the ball & took both goals well.

30 minutes ago, Macam blue said:

It was interesting to see how well Accrington Stanley were doing on their push for promotion from League 1 on watching last nights game.

Really enjoyed the football on display & the fact that they had up to last night, only used some 14 players, coupled with the fact that a lot of the squad had been brought from lower league, due to their low budget. Really moved the ball around in dangerous areas & not frightened to have a pop at goal from any of the forward players.

They interviewed cricket legend David Lloyd (Bumble) before the game, a very knowledgeable Accy's fan who says with a town size of 35k their Manager has unearthed some real gems & built a strong bond within the squad & he believes they have a good chance of promotion this season.

Also noticed that the Manager was fully masked up throughout the game & the players appeared to limit the goal celebrations. Or is this just my feeble wishes. ;)

If a town the size of Accrington can build a team capable of league 1 then the sky should be the limit for us.

Come on Town think big.

Dion Charles is doing very well for Accrington i notice. Thought he had talent here, just abit lightweight.

• Like 1
Just now, greygoose said:

Dion Charles is doing very well for Accrington i notice. Thought he had talent here, just abit lightweight.

Forgot about Dion at us ;) yes he did quite well, not one that stood out to me but that shows how good their team spirit was.

1 minute ago, Macam blue said:

Forgot about Dion at us ;) yes he did quite well, not one that stood out to me but that shows how good their team spirit was.

Did very well on loan in the conf north winning season, but when we re-signed him on loan for the start of the conference season he struggled early and then never got a look in with Heath after that. 

Just now, shaymen down under said:

Did very well on loan in the conf north winning season, but when we re-signed him on loan for the start of the conference season he struggled early and then never got a look in with Heath after that. 

Seem to remember he rounded the keeper in the 0-0 draw early on at Barrow only to fall over whilst attempting to get a shot away

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

Some may believe that there are fewer quality players at the lower level. Personally think that now is the right time to be scouring the lower leagues for that hidden gem. There will be lots of young, hungry players literally cast aside due to the pandemic crying out for a chance to prove themselves.   Need a good scouting network (where have I heard that mentioned before);)

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Macam blue said:

According to the sky commentator they has

According to the Sky commentator, yes they had only used 14 players. You need some luck with injuries granted, but they said the manager believes in keeping a small squad. their young centre forward who came from lower league has a presence about him, difficult to knock off the ball & took both goals well.

That’s class.

His rare moments of quality were as rare as they were quality, so if they’ve got Dion Charles looking like a top L1 player then they’ve harnessed potential like no one else.

Clubs like Accrington and Rochdale should be examples of where we could be, they have shown the way for clubs of our size. Mr B has run a tight ship but needs to take calculated risks at this time of year based on where we are in the league. Sticking with a manager and letting him build a side capable of challenging for promotion every few years, without bankrupting us. Well done to Accrington Stanley it seems a long time ago now that we were in the same league 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Clubs like Accrington and Rochdale should be examples of where we could be, they have shown the way for clubs of our size. Mr B has run a tight ship but needs to take calculated risks at this time of year based on where we are in the league. Sticking with a manager and letting him build a side capable of challenging for promotion every few years, without bankrupting us. Well done to Accrington Stanley it seems a long time ago now that we were in the same league 

This wont go down well with some FCHT supporters on here, but teams like our Lancastrian neighbours of Accy/Rochdale & dare I say Burnley are a credit for their long established reign in the FL. Although on the wrong side of the hill they are in football terms where we should be (not geographically).

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

I remember me saying we should try sign Colby bishop when he was banging them in at leaning ton and got laughed at. Now look at him for Accy Stanley

He looked full of energy all game. It may have been one of his better games, but Bumble seems well impressed for a young man.

31 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

I remember me saying we should try sign Colby bishop when he was banging them in at leaning ton and got laughed at. Now look at him for Accy Stanley

Better luck with Lewis Mansell :D to be fair Bishop was out of our reach financially and ambition wise when you made the suggestion ;)

On 1/9/2021 at 1:00 PM, Pliny Harris said:

Halifax Town's victory over Hereford United secured Bury's promotion, and Bury entitled their fanzine 'Where Were You At The Shay?' in honour of that game. Bury fan James Bentley published a book a number of years ago entitled 'The Forgotten Fifteen', where he tracked down and interviewed every member of Bury's squad that season (among them future Shaymen David Brown and John Bramhall), as well as giving a run-down on the season itself. Town's 4-1 victory over Bury in January 1985 makes for pleasant reading!

• Like 3

Another factor in the success, possibly, of teams such as Accrington and Burnley is that they have no dilution of their fan base with a rival sport such as RL in the town. This gives them a more prominent role in the identity of the local area and they are not distracted with the squabbles we have had to put up with over the years. Rochdale to a lesser extent as RL has always been the second sport with football always being the main sporting entity. 

• Like 1

Always think it worth looking at clubs like Rochdale and Accrington, even burton or Stevenage and looking at what made them successful.. 

firstly I think it’s been a board that has made funds available consistently over a long time to build a growing and successful club 

only under DB has this started to happen .. definitely building .. but not really putting in the money levels needed 

secondly local support .. for some reason we have never built that local pride in the football club .. possibly because the town has lacked any real civic pride during my life time .. we have had councils that have failed to deliver until recently anything in the town of pride.. 

the council needs to work on building that civic pride .. only then can the football rugby market piece hall etc really develop .. we need better infrastructure better schools better housing .. better industry better jobs .. to build that civic pride .. first step is simple stop calling ourselves Calderdale.. bring back halifax .. and all the surrounding area town names .. bring back identity .. 

• Like 2

Leeds Shayman wrote:  

Mr B has run a tight ship but needs to take calculated risks at this time of year based on where we are in the league. 

I agree. The tv money on offer to us if we got back in the Football League, and the many local and crowd pulling fixtures ( currently Bradford, Bolton, Oldham, Grimsby, Mansfield, Tranmere,  Salford, Harrogate, Scunthorpe ) make a very attractive proposition.

There is a case to be made that Mr. B needs to find that extra financial investment from somewhere to get us in to that Promised Land.

As has been said, if Accrington can do it, so should we.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, oldskir said:

Leeds Shayman wrote:  

Mr B has run a tight ship but needs to take calculated risks at this time of year based on where we are in the league. 

I agree. The tv money on offer to us if we got back in the Football League, and the many local and crowd pulling fixtures ( currently Bradford, Bolton, Oldham, Grimsby, Mansfield, Tranmere,  Salford, Harrogate, Scunthorpe ) make a very attractive proposition.

There is a case to be made that Mr. B needs to find that extra financial investment from somewhere to get us in to that Promised Land.

As has been said, if Accrington can do it, so should we.

We had the perfect opportunity to invest with the Vardy, TV and other windfalls that have now been used up by bringing in a player here and there on an ad hoc basis, paying to relocate the club's training base to Leeds, etc. rather than freeing up those funds when it might have had a bigger impact.

Unless we get a good cup run next season, or somehow unearth another Vardy, I don't see any extra money coming into the club in the near future.