Jump to content

Today’s Game Town v Torquay


Recommended Posts

What worries me is when he says that the players don't have "fire in their belly". Why not ? Do they not like the formation they are playing ? Surely that is down to him and his management. No one would like him to get it right more than me but he has to do it soon. His last 13 league games have produced 2 wins 4 draws and 7 losses. If you include the FA Trophy and FA cup then it is 9 Losses.  So come on get to grips with the players and make it work.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did say last season that I couldn`t understand the Wild love-in. Was clueless then (but inexperienced), and clueless now and will remain so until he learns to adapt. I know he`s loved by many as he

If the defence is to be continually under pressure they will crack eventually, the problem is further forward, midfieldn lose the ball too cheaply No coincidence there is no cohesion or link up play w

Disappointed Earing not starting

15 minutes ago, Greggs said:

There below us in the table :doh: and there fans talk about how one dimensional he makes there game. Try reading what they say on there. They've noticed things muppets like you still haven't :lol:

Like I said before you wouldn't know football if one slaps you in the face :lol:

I dont think they are below us in the table due to their one dimensional football. It may be that they have shipped 17 goals. Not suggesting that Tom Denton is a brilliant footballer but in a poor team he has scored 6 goals just one less than our total. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Greggs said:

There below us in the table :doh: and there fans talk about how one dimensional he makes there game. Try reading what they say on there. They've noticed things muppets like you still haven't :lol:

Like I said before you wouldn't know football if one slaps you in the face :lol:

Ah well, if Chesterfield are below us in the table then non of his goals should count surely?  :huh:

At least your starting to learn that its not all individual strikers fault, Gold couldn't score so was crap but now Hyde cant its the system. Your not even consistent about what your moaning about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Ah well, if Chesterfield are below us in the table then non of his goals should count surely?  :huh:

At least your starting to learn that its not all individual strikers fault, Gold couldn't score so was crap but now Hyde cant its the system. Your not even consistent about what your moaning about.

As I said in an earlier post it is not the pressing carry the game to the opposition football as promised. Today we played maybe 15mins as advertised the rest was mostly inaccurate sideways play or hoofball. Feel sorry for Allen trying to drag the frontline forward.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, malifax said:

Think we got the players not got the formula 

I totally agree with this. One major positive for me is how disruptive we can be by breaking the oppositions play and nicking the ball often. The negative is that we then tend to pass it back from midfield. In those situations Wild should be barking at the players to pass, move but always take it forwards. We are so negative and thats due to Wilds tactics/formation, no one else. Its the difference at home between winning and losing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

I totally agree with this. One major positive for me is how disruptive we can be by breaking the oppositions play and nicking the ball often. The negative is that we then tend to pass it back from midfield. In those situations Wild should be barking at the players to pass, move but always take it forwards. We are so negative and thats due to Wilds tactics/formation, no one else. Its the difference at home between winning and losing. 

Agree with a lot of what you say, one big problem we have that has haunted us for years now is our lack of pace throughout the attacking players, with the exception of Allen of course 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greygoose said:

A narrow defeat to top of the league and everyones losing their s**t, why do people think this mediocre club of ours has any divine right to walk all over better teams?

Things need to change a bit but certainly not the manager at this stage as some are suggesting. 

 

It's the way we just go out with a whimper that's so frustrating. Most on here would love Wild to succeed, you have got to admire his enthusiasm, but he needs to get that passion into the way we play. 

We have no divine right to win anything, but we need to go out there and give it a proper go. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Agree with a lot of what you say, one big problem we have that has haunted us for years now is our lack of pace throughout the attacking players, with the exception of Allen of course 

Yes the same Allen who finished the game at right back but still ended up our most advanced player. It sums it up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, greygoose said:

Yes, the pitch folking members have dramatically increased this season, i mentioneed this after the opening game which Chadders put down the heavy rain. Not sure the reasons since?

People seemed to be obsessed with the amount of pitch forkers at the moment. Without them there wouldn’t be a pitch to play on.  

Edited by Jamiefcht2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Greggs said:

There below us in the table :doh: and there fans talk about how one dimensional he makes there game. Try reading what they say on there. They've noticed things muppets like you still haven't :lol:

Like I said before you wouldn't know football if one slaps you in the face :lol:

“They’re “ below us. “Their” fans. “Their game”  Maybe you should give reading a try.Muppets. Lol!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another disappointing result, the first 50 mins we never really got going. Every attack we had 2/3 players in the final 1/3 where as Torquay had 5/6 players in similar positions with more pace & desire.

Second half we did a little better & broke up play well, only to be punished with poor passing & lax defending.

As I have thought from game day one, we don't have the players to play with wing backs, I like Maher but he is lost in that position, much better sat in front of the defense, getting stuck in & breaking up play.

I hope Pete Wilde doesn't wait too long before realizing what is wrong. We have some good players but need to play to their strengths not continue to force on them, a system that is not working.

Its still early doors, but we are falling away from the front runners & it will take a huge effort to turn it round.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It summed it up today when we had a throw in halfway in their half and the ball ended up with Johnson.

Clearly the players don't like playing in the current formation as Wild has admitted they aren't doing what they are told to do.

He needs to find a formation that suits the players we have as unfortunately his much loved plan A isn't working.

Please can someone take the ball off Clarke when he has it because 90% of the time it ends up with an opposition player or out of play. If I was the opposition I would just let him have it every time.

With the players we have try 442 with the midfield in a diamond formation and see where that gets us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

It summed it up today when we had a throw in halfway in their half and the ball ended up with Johnson.

Clearly the players don't like playing in the current formation as Wild has admitted they aren't doing what they are told to do.

He needs to find a formation that suits the players we have as unfortunately his much loved plan A isn't working.

Please can someone take the ball off Clarke when he has it because 90% of the time it ends up with an opposition player or out of play. If I was the opposition I would just let him have it every time.

With the players we have try 442 with the midfield in a diamond formation and see where that gets us.

Summerfield is a quality player but the current formation is clearly limiting his distribution match by match & slowly robbing him of confidence to move forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had been looking forward to this game since Tuesday as I thought we might just have finally turned a corner....

To use Hoddie's quote, we were beaten but not battered. The best team on the day won.

The positives:

  • We played the highest scoring team in the league and only lost 2-1
  • We came back from 1-0 down and created chances in the second half to score further goals

 The negatives:

  •  We do not have any wingbacks who can cross a ball
  • We have a number of young inexperienced players, Bradbury dived in for the penalty when the forward was going away from goal, Senior constantly caught out of position or allowing opposition forwards to get behind him
  • Hyde is being forced to play with his back to goal most of the time. He did flick on the header for Allen to run onto and score, so there is something developing there.
  • Why do we keep making Nathan Clarke try to attempt 30-40 yard passes. He is an hairy arsed CB who should be giving the ball to a creative midfield player such as Summerfield and sitting back while he threads the defence splitting passes.
  • Why do our players seem to be unwilling to shoot when near the oppositions goal, they seem to prefer laying of short passes
  • Why do we never put a player to mark the opponent player who is taking a throw in. When a throw in occurs we have an extra player. More or less every time Torquay took a throw in it was just thrown to a player who passed it straight back to the unmarked thrower.

I could list more but I have given up the will. All in all a very frustrating afternoon shouting at the laptop when basic passing and marking was missing.

The frustration is compounded by the fact, as has been rightly pointed out in this topic, that we appear to be playing a formation which does not suit the types of players we have. I am convinced that this group is capable of more than last seasons squad, but at the moment we seem to be putting square pegs in round holes and expecting them to magic up the results we all desire. At present we are not relegation fodder, but by Christmas we could well be, especially if we fail to take max. points from the games against Weymouth, Barnet and Aldershot.

Last of all hopefully we will get a chance to see what Dann's can add to the mix, alternating him with Woods might give a bit more bite, or "fire to the bellies" of the younger players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hunsworthhound said:

Watching the National League highlights it was noticeable how many goals were  20/25 yds shots why don't  we shoot we didn't  do it last season either does Wild tell  them to walk  it into  the net.

He can´t be doing huns as they would be shooting on sight. He states that they are not doing what he asks.:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, greygoose said:

If you read my posts I've said several times that the formation needs changing, said it ah HT today also, I'm far from full of 'fake optimisim.

But i dont believe the manger should be sacked at this point, if that makes me am 'oddball' then so be it but see you as all doom and gloom, each to their own.

I also don’t want the manager sacked. Why should he we are only 8 games in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the end of last season, or more precisely the Boreham Wood play off game, Wild dismantled the squad which in my opinion had some very decent players, some that needed to be moved on and some who chose to go. We now have a squad that is entirely of his making, players who he has brought in that according to him fit with whatever it is he is trying to do, players that will go the extra mile, players who buy into his master plan. But what is this master plan, what is it that they have to fit into?? I'm certainly not seeing anything on the pitch that tells me we have improved any, in fact, being a Stats man, I'd say we have moved backwards on the same period last season, indeed, of our first 8 games last season we won 6 drew 1 & lost 1. If has been suggested by some on here, the players are not doing what Wild is instructing them to do then I would suggest this is a huge issue and certainly brings into question his ability to Coach a team, and if I were DB I would be extremely worried. Dont forget, when Wild sat down to talk to these players with a view to signing them, they "bought" into whatever it is he is apparently trying to do. So what is it??

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Since the end of last season, or more precisely the Boreham Wood play off game, Wild dismantled the squad which in my opinion had some very decent players, some that needed to be moved on and some who chose to go. We now have a squad that is entirely of his making, players who he has brought in that according to him fit with whatever it is he is trying to do, players that will go the extra mile, players who buy into his master plan. But what is this master plan, what is it that they have to fit into?? I'm certainly not seeing anything on the pitch that tells me we have improved any, in fact, being a Stats man, I'd say we have moved backwards on the same period last season, indeed, of our first 8 games last season we won 6 drew 1 & lost 1. If has been suggested by some on here, the players are not doing what Wild is instructing them to do then I would suggest this is a huge issue and certainly brings into question his ability to Coach a team, and if I were DB I would be extremely worried. Dont forget, when Wild sat down to talk to these players with a view to signing them, they "bought" into whatever it is he is apparently trying to do. So what is it??

PW's plan may be fine but are players at our level capable of instigating it on the field. Simple is best, over complicate a simple game & players become bogged down with tactics. We have looked at our best with three to four pass moves then an attempt on goal, at the moment we are passing for passings sake which is fine if possession is retained or there is an end product but we have neither leading to more pressure on the defence.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He can say what he likes about this formation in interviews but it is a defensive formation. 3 at the back sod that its 5. You cannot rely on the wingbacks to provide the width they can't get there quick enough. What are you left with? Trying to thread the eye of a needle through the middle. It's not working and its not going to work. If you only have 2 players up the pitch the ball is just going to come back on the defense time after time after time until they crack. 

The formation is completely shutting our attack down and it is completely shutting Hyde down. He needs crosses in the box before the defense is set not hang on the wingbacks coming he's just got 70 yards to run. 

The last 2 goals we have scored haven't been through our own good play they have been defensive errors. We haven't scored a goal through good play since Yeovil at home. 

You keep trying the same thing your going to get the same result. But he wont change it. He's too stubborn to believe it won't work so something needs to be done before we are cut adrift at the bottom. 

Edited by Greggs
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...