Notts County match thread

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This side needs a couple of wins. Confidence will flow back and all this talk about poor passing and choosing the wrong ball etc will disappear. There are some good players in this team, much bet

I kind of enjoyed last nights game!!!! Strange really, but I thought they were 2 very evenly matched teams. I dont want to do the analysis of the game or I'd burst into tears, we know we need a goal s

I was just about to go into the lounge to kick the dog. Now she`s going to get a massive cuddle. Well done Jamie Allen

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, jimmy neighbour said:

better to be direct and attack the defence instead of passing to the wing and then a aimless cross as allen just showed

Agree...we never release the ball at the right time. Comes with confidence but we are too conservative with our passing given Allen’s pace. Still stumped how nepomaceno managed to place off target, thought that was the equaliser...should have been. Someone’s mentioned though that we do not look confident....it could be a pivotal goal that one. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Guido said:

Last time i saw ball control like Hyde's was when "Disco Dave Hanson" was laking :o

Hanson used to roll the ball up his front but invariably managed to shield it & eventually control it, up to press Hyde just loses it full stop, hope for better things based on his record & experience.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Theres nothing wrong with Hyde. He scored 16 goals last season. The problem is the formation. Keeps us solid but shuts us down in attack. It doesn't suit the players we have and it certainly doesnt suit Hyde. 

He needs crosses coming in and we dont get into positions to do that. 

With the players we have 2 wingers is the best formation to get better attacking play 

I genuinely think if we play 2 wingers we will start battering teams on the scoresheet. Theres some smart footballers in that midfield that are just desperate to pick out the width that's just never there. Summerfield would have a field day doing that. 

Agree re the wingers Greggs. We do not get the best out of the players we have by defending with 5 at the back expecting the wing backs to overlap. we have no other outlet for attacking crosses & this leaves us relying on forwards going wide to create chances.

Todays match was dire, Notts were the poorer of the 2 teams but we should have been buried at 2-0 before the good last gasp goal. Our set up is the worst I have seen for some time, it limits our attacking play & puts added pressure on our defence to keep a clean sheet.

I am very glad not to be a Notts supporter they look even worse than us :shh:

• Like 1

Thought draw was fair but  if there lad had scored that  it would have been goodnight Vienna , defensive side were ok , midfield better than last year , just need to sort out a formation so we can score goals or at least sign another striker 

3 minutes ago, Macam blue said:

Agree re the wingers Greggs. We do not get the best out of the players we have by defending with 5 at the back expecting the wing backs to overlap. we have no other outlet for attacking crosses & this leaves us relying on forwards going wide to create chances.

Todays match was dire, Notts were the poorer of the 2 teams but we should have been buried at 2-0 before the good last gasp goal. Our set up is the worst I have seen for some time, it limits our attacking play & puts added pressure on our defence to keep a clean sheet.

I am very glad not to be a Notts supporter they look even worse than us :shh:

Playing wing backs with on being Maher is not going supply quality balls from out wide & that is not a criticism of Maher.

Just now, Roy Race said:

Playing wing backs with on being Maher is not going supply quality balls from out wide & that is not a criticism of Maher.

I also like Maher, played same formation in previous games without Maher as wing back but same outcome. too defencive with our current squad.

We need to take games to the opposition, I have seen nothing this season or last that should frighten us. Very average players in a very poor league, especially attacking players. 

This League is there for any team who shows a bit of imagination & tries to ATTACK.

• Like 1

Agree with above, I think we have the ability to get in behind but we are putting pressure on the middle of park and both wingbacks by asking too much. I like senior BUT he is final ball is poor...that said how many times have we not missed the first man from crosses or corners this season? Just not good enough at this level. And let’s be honest some of the finishing is lacking basic composure. Hopefully they’ve turned a corner tonight but for gods sake wild let’s play...and not on the break. 

Massive relief at the end, and pleased for Allen - one player who certainly has an explosive edge and who isn't afraid of 'isolating' himself high up the pitch in heading for goal. Found a scruffy finish this time which hopefully can kick start some confidence. 

Agree with many on here in being a bit fed up of 5-3-2 - painful memories of that spell under JF - I know it shored things up after Stockport on Boxing Day, but I think we need to open things up again. That said, I do think having Earing in the side makes that system infinitely better.

I mentioned on a different thread that I wouldn't go anywhere near Town if I were a striker with a reasonable goalscoring record. I'd class Hyde in that bracket. At this level we have rarely been a high scoring team, and if you look at our recent successes then they have tended to be the kind of players who could do it all themselves a lot of the time. Most centre forwards need far more service, and at much closer proximity, than our system supports. 

OK here's one for the glass half full brigade, based on the results so far this season compared to the corresponding fixtures last season, minus Wealdstone and BHW away as we did not play them, although we did lose at home to them.

image.png.3b9af30c9257d603e7fd4181d306d701.png

So, we have scored more goals, let in far less goals and gained more points. If this was a school report then it would be marked down as an improvement across the board.

As has already been said so far we have seen no one we should fear. If we can resolve the up front issues then we are looking a solid team, certainly not relegation material. We have to be patient and it will come to fruition. to be fair PW has had to put up with some bum situations with forwards going down injured, CV-19 lockdowns, both ours and other teams, and we have a topsy turvey season with it being open to those teams who can string a decent run of results together.

All I would say is that based on what was on show tonight then Notts County are destined for a further season in the NL despite their large fan base and rich owners.

• Like 3

Nowhere in his interview does it say he's still on the hunt for a striker 

The last thing we need is for that goal to pull the wool over his eyes. We are so close to being a fantastic team. We are shutting ourselves in attack though. We need another body and we need to change the formation 

16 minutes ago, Shaymen1984 said:

I mentioned on a different thread that I wouldn't go anywhere near Town if I were a striker with a reasonable goalscoring record. I'd class Hyde in that bracket. At this level we have rarely been a high scoring team, and if you look at our recent successes then they have tended to be the kind of players who could do it all themselves a lot of the time. Most centre forwards need far more service, and at much closer proximity, than our system supports. 

Devante Rodney's goalscoring record was poor other than when he played for us! 

• Like 1

Midfield and defence are solid.  But we need more from the wide players and creative midfielders.  Hyde is working off scraps.  Our final ball is lacking in quality.

It's not a million miles away.  We show signs of promise.  We're often the better team on balance of play.  We don't concede many.  We get into good positions.  But without better quality into the box we're going to continue to struggle to win games.

That said, we had 3 or 4 very good chances today.  We should have won the game.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, olitheshayman said:

We did make some good chances, but I've not seen anyone* mention the one on one their striker squandered with a minute or two of normal time to go? I had a funny feeling they would regret that. 

At 85mins only feelings I had were frustration & despondency at another close defeat with a patchy first half & better second.