Just now, ITMAN said:

Yes it is amusing how the rules are interpreted. I can at the games now the teams come out separately to comply with CV-19 protocols, yet the ref blows for half-time/full-time and they all just wander off back up the tunnel arm in arm with social distancing a distant memory....unless of course you are the ref or assistants, then there is no danger of social distancing.

I honestly think that the wealthier you are or more important you consider yourself to be, the less you think rules apply to you. There are exceptions. But I'll give an example that really gets on my tits. Our girls go to a creche where all the kids have parents who work for the European Parliament, NATO and other similar organisations. They're not necessarily rich but they're better off than most. The creche has an exclusive parking zone on one of the streets, a rarity in the centre of Brussels, but it's around the corner and requires a bit of a detour. Many, many parents choose instead to park on the main road, in a red zone, outside the front door of the creche, and right next to the 'no parking' notices. And then some of them, rather than driving off on the main road, will reverse the wrong way down the entire length of a one-way street to get to the back roads so as to avoid the traffic. These people - or if not, at least their partners - work for government organisations, and in many cases will be setting rules for the rest of us to follow. So their blatant disregard for rules really pisses me off.

More evidence, were it needed, is the increasing number of British politicians and cronies who have been found not to follow the Covid rules.

I'm coming around to the opinion that penalties for such people should be harsher than those handed out to the rest of us. They really should know better.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Postponed due to their ongoing COVID cases. No new date announced yet. Hopefully it’s not until latE in the season and crowds are allowed in.

That there is why I voted for Brexit  

Just put offenders up against a wall and shoot em! Power to the people* *Wolfie Smith 1976.

2 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

But I'll give an example that really gets on my tits. Our girls go to a creche where all the kids have parents who work for the European Parliament, NATO and other similar organisations. They're not necessarily rich but they're better off than most. The creche has an exclusive parking zone on one of the streets, a rarity in the centre of Brussels, but it's around the corner and requires a bit of a detour. Many, many parents choose instead to park on the main road, in a red zone, outside the front door of the creche, and right next to the 'no parking' notices. And then some of them, rather than driving off on the main road, will reverse the wrong way down the entire length of a one-way street to get to the back roads so as to avoid the traffic. These people - or if not, at least their partners - work for government organisations, and in many cases will be setting rules for the rest of us to follow. So their blatant disregard for rules really pisses me off.

That there is why I voted for Brexit :D 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You said hoddie penalties for officials who break  rules should be tough. Well in this country they are well for ones lower down they are. 

I know a few who have received jail sentences for what someone outside the civil service probably wouldn't get charged for.

A friend of my wife's  lost her job and pension, what for checking her friend post codes on out internal tracing system when she sent chrimas cards

29 minutes ago, hunsworthhound said:

You said hoddie penalties for officials who break  rules should be tough. Well in this country they are well for ones lower down they are. 

I know a few who have received jail sentences for what someone outside the civil service probably wouldn't get charged for.

A friend of my wife's  lost her job and pension, what for checking her friend post codes on out internal tracing system when she sent chrimas cards

That is harsh but they're very clear not to misuse data you have access to, at least they were with me.

14 hours ago, Hoddie said:

I honestly think that the wealthier you are or more important you consider yourself to be, the less you think rules apply to you. There are exceptions. But I'll give an example that really gets on my tits. Our girls go to a creche where all the kids have parents who work for the European Parliament, NATO and other similar organisations. They're not necessarily rich but they're better off than most. The creche has an exclusive parking zone on one of the streets, a rarity in the centre of Brussels, but it's around the corner and requires a bit of a detour. Many, many parents choose instead to park on the main road, in a red zone, outside the front door of the creche, and right next to the 'no parking' notices. And then some of them, rather than driving off on the main road, will reverse the wrong way down the entire length of a one-way street to get to the back roads so as to avoid the traffic. These people - or if not, at least their partners - work for government organisations, and in many cases will be setting rules for the rest of us to follow. So their blatant disregard for rules really pisses me off.

More evidence, were it needed, is the increasing number of British politicians and cronies who have been found not to follow the Covid rules.

I'm coming around to the opinion that penalties for such people should be harsher than those handed out to the rest of us. They really should know better.

For me there is a simple answer to idiots who drive down one way streets the wrong way, fit the same type of flaps they use in car parks  - you can drive over them one way but try to go the other way and they stop you or mess your car up. Simple cheap way to make sure one way streets are just that.

6 hours ago, ITMAN said:

For me there is a simple answer to idiots who drive down one way streets the wrong way, fit the same type of flaps they use in car parks  - you can drive over them one way but try to go the other way and they stop you or mess your car up. Simple cheap way to make sure one way streets are just that.

It's a good idea. Not sure it would work with this street in particular because it's used as access for emergency vehicles - first street after the E40 motorway enters Brussels, so they're allowed to use it to bypass the normal traffic jams. But there are plenty of other one-way streets where they could put something like that into good effect.

1 minute ago, Wilder Bollox said:

But what about all those sad bike riders that love to exercise their god given right to always go the wrong way down a one way street and call you a *anker when you nearly drive into them 

Yes, or they thin the pavement is:doh: a cycling lane.

Then again there is the view that a large proportion of motorists are incapable of seeing or acting sensibly around reasonable cyclists or motorbikers even when they are in dayglo attire & following the rules of the road correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Then again there is the view that a large proportion of motorists are incapable of seeing or acting sensibly around reasonable cyclists or motorbikers even when they are in dayglo attire & following the rules of the road correctly.

rare species I have never seen a bright dayglow cyclist abiding by the law------:o

12 minutes ago, Lester said:

Neal Ardley, in his interview with BBC East Midlands Today, stated that, in his opinion, 75 per cent of all the F.A.Cup ties taking place this weekend would include three or four players suffering from covid.

Is Neal Ardley a member of SAGE? He’s probably right though.

15 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I'll only entertain figures provided by Diane Abbott

Have to say I prefer the Patel version!

Eleventeen thousand,three hundred thousand and ninety four hundred!

Sounds much more impressive!

But to be fair, I think Hammonds claim that HS2 will eventually cost 1/6d takes the biscuit.lol

46 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

rare species I have never seen a bright dayglow cyclist abiding by the law------:o

Like to think I have a balanced view on road use being a cyclist, motorcyclist & motorist, my opinion is there are good & bad in all but have to say modern car driver road manners are quite appalling. On two wheels you are more vulnerable but a large proportion of motorists have no concept of this & don't get me started on motorists behaviour around horse riders.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Like to think I have a balanced view on road use being a cyclist, motorcyclist & motorist, my opinion is there are good & bad in all but have to say modern car driver road manners are quite appalling. On two wheels you are more vulnerable but a large proportion of motorists have no concept of this & don't get me started on motorists behaviour around horse riders.

Try coming to Lanza and all the teams are here training in winter you cannot pass them for miles taking up all the road. They have had to ban them from the seafront prom as too many accidents speeding around pedestrians.

21 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Try coming to Lanza and all the teams are here training in winter you cannot pass them for miles taking up all the road. They have had to ban them from the seafront prom as too many accidents speeding around pedestrians.

Bunching is wrong but suspect groups of cyclists see it as self preservation, my guess is they would be safer in file but there is little give & take in this world unfortunately, patience is seen as a weakness.

6 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Bunching is wrong but suspect groups of cyclists see it as self preservation, my guess is they would be safer in file but there is little give & take in this world unfortunately, patience is seen as a weakness.

Having an awareness of what is behind you and vehicular blind spots would be a good starting point when on two wheels

24 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

One thing I have to comment on is in Haria there is a young man who only has 1 leg and he amazingly rides a normal bike, he is also a competition rider.

• Thanks 1