When You Cross The White Line

The answer is yes ..copied from a news paper article 

1988 to find the first example in the English game of a footballer being convicted in a court of law over on-field violence, In this case, Sky Sports' excitable pundit Chris Kamara was the culprit; 'Kammy', then of Swindon Town, caught Shrewsbury Town's Jim Melrose with his elbow, breaking Melrose's cheekbone in the process. He was fined £1,200 for causing grievous bodily harm and also ordered to pay £250 compensation.

15 minutes ago, Bubba said:

There was an incident in the 90s during a Huddersfield vs Bradford match which went to caught. Think the Huddersfield player was Kevin gray.

While at Huddersfield, Gray tackled Bradford City striker Gordon Watson in February 1997, the sliding tackle broke Watson's leg in two places and left his career in tatters. Out injured for 16 months, Watson was never the same player. Watson successfully sued Gray for negligence and was awarded £50,000 in interim damages.[1] as well as a latter £900,000, the bulk of which was to compensate for the loss of anticipated earnings

You have to feel sorry for referees these days. The foreign, we are all overpaid, coached to dive and cheat league, also known as the Premier League. So much diving and cheating occurs its virtually an impossible situation for referees. Rule changes are now common which adds a further headache for refs. They are under the spotlight with VAR. It's just my opinion but I'd like to see the following changes. 1 Dead balls taken from corner of box ball has gone out of play, and the ball like it used to be must leave penalty area. 2 VAR gone, the game has done OK without it for decades. 3. After 90mins when added time board goes up NO substitutions. 4. Penalties takers, what an absolute farce it is now. Running on the spot, dancing from side to side, jumping etc. The rule should be a uniform run at the ball no deviations. 5. Time wasting, one thing at really annoys me players taking the ball to the corner flag to waste time. Its deliberate time wasting, give a free kick and a booking. Football at the end of the day is financed by the working man. We don't pay our hard earned to watch a load of overpaid Jessie's coached to dive cheat and waste time when it suits. Unless I'm hard up for something to watch the Premier League doesn't get on our telly. For the good of the National game I'd like to see a figure put on the number of foreign players allowed in a team.

Edited by born to moan
  • Like 1

Regarding the incident on Saturday, it isn't assault to me as theres not intent to injury in my opinion. 

I do however think it was a red card, but I wouldn't have given a penalty. The ball doesn't need to be in play for players to be sent off for foul and abusive language, for fighting off the ball, things like headbutts, spitting etc...  

The challenge was dangerous and would have been a foul had it not been offside. In that situation Pickford would have seen red and Liverpool would have had a pen. As it was judged offside, then the free kick should have gone to Everton, however the foul was still committed so the card should still have stood in my opinion. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Nick said:

Remember that one .. you could hear the break all around the ground 

Yep, I was about 30ft away from them and I heard it clear as a bell and Johnson screaming in agony. It was awful. People were yelling at the ref to stop the game and he just waved play on. Newton, what a clown he was!!!

10 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Yep, I was about 30ft away from them and I heard it clear as a bell and Johnson screaming in agony. It was awful. People were yelling at the ref to stop the game and he just waved play on. Newton, what a clown he was!!!

He tells the story of playing in America in the early 80's . Flattened Beckenbaur three times, third time Beckenbaur looked up and said "I'm Beckenbaur Germany" Bob replied "I'm Newton England" or something along those lines .

• Like 1
6 hours ago, malifax said:

One day a player will get injured and either him or his family will take retribution into their own hands or the player/ref/FA will get sued for it.

I remember reading Jamie Carragher's autobiography and about the time he broke his leg against Blackburn after a snide tackle. I think it was Brett Emerton who was the perpetrator. 

Carragher said he received a text from a friend who said him and the lads had seen said player in the Trafford Centre and asked carragher "can we do him over!" To which carragher said no. 

There's also the famous Roy Keane and Haaland incident. Some players and families will get their own back.  

2 hours ago, townmad said:

I may be on the wrong guy but didn't he get jailed for something to do with a driving offence, it may have been the incident that finished Billy Legg's career.

You may be thinking of the crash that tragically killed his team-mate Dave Wiggett

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Wiggett

10 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

So was I .. we must have been stood next to each other 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

Newton actually went on to put Hartlepool 1-0 up but Town came back to win 2-1. Kevin and Newton had been team mates at Huddersfield. I asked Kevin about the tackle and he said it was just one of those things,  though in the interview with Kit Walton at the Man City reunion,  Kevin said that Newton wasn't on his Christmas card list. Kevin Johnson and Newton were later team mates again up at Hartlepool. 

48 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

Newton actually went on to put Hartlepool 1-0 up but Town came back to win 2-1. Kevin and Newton had been team mates at Huddersfield. I asked Kevin about the tackle and he said it was just one of those things,  though in the interview with Kit Walton at the Man City reunion,  Kevin said that Newton wasn't on his Christmas card list. Kevin Johnson and Newton were later team mates again up at Hartlepool. 

There was just something about Newton that was very unlikable, but he was very highly rated in his early career until injuries took him out of the game for a couple of seasons. Perhaps he was just full of resentment at his career being spoiled or something. But if he'd tackled me and broken my leg like he did to Kevin he certainly wouldn't be on any Christmas card list either. I think Kevin's comment about the tackle being just one of those things sounds like a bit of PR Spin?? Does make you wonder if there wasn't something from their past on the day of the tackle. I can imagine there might have been some former team mates of theirs who on hearing the news that Newton had broken Kevin's leg weren't to surprised??

49 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

As I said, Newton also did him up at Hartlepool probably 1980 because it was after his prison spell . Johnson didn't play many more games for us and moved to Hartlepool when he was back to fitness

Kevin told me at the reunion that Hartlepool gave him a 5-year contract. Unheard of in the lower leagues back then.