When You Cross The White Line

I've just finished reading another piece about the Van Dyke / Pickford incident from last Saturdays Liverpool derby match. A radio commentator called Adrian Durham has called for Pickford to be suspended for the challenge on Van Dyke. I know we've covered this in another thread, but I want to just take this in another direction if I may?? When does common assault cease to be a crime?? The FA have now apparently come out and given a long explanation as to why no action will be taken against Pickford, and I'll be honest, to me it's bullcrap!! If they consider that what he did was perfectly ok then it makes a mockery of the whole dangerous play scenario. As Durham points out, nowhere in the goalkeeping manual does it say its ok to carry out a flying two footed challenge. So my question is:- When you cross the white line are you exempt from the basic laws of the land?? Just because you are a sportsman does it allow you to attack someone and physically harm them, harming them enough to cause them to require surgery that will incapacitate them for several months, possibly longer, and costing his employers, in this case probably millions of pounds in the process!!! If such an incident occured on the streets at any time of day or night on any given day of the week and it was picked up on CCTV then surely the police would be expected to carry out a full investigation and quite probably prosecute the offender. Why is it so different just because it took place on a football pitch??

10 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

As Durham points out, nowhere in the goalkeeping manual does it say its ok to carry out a flying two footed challenge.

In the picture I saw of the incident, Pickford had one leg pointing forward at the point of challenge, but the other leg was bent with the lower leg pointing backwards.

However, bad or poor the challenge, it was not the two footed lunging challenge which would have meant an instant red card.

25 minutes ago, malifax said:

One day a player will get injured and either him or his family will take retribution into their own hands or the player/ref/FA will get sued for it.

Ossett did get sued for a bad challenge and the club nearly folded as a result

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

As Durham points out, nowhere in the goalkeeping manual does it say its ok to carry out a flying two footed challenge. 

The challenge reminded me of Jeff Lee’s tackle on a current board member  in a local derby match

41 minutes ago, rdj said:

In the picture I saw of the incident, Pickford had one leg pointing forward at the point of challenge, but the other leg was bent with the lower leg pointing backwards.

However, bad or poor the challenge, it was not the two footed lunging challenge which would have meant an instant red card.

Doesn't have to be 2 footed , if your out of control or over the top of the ball ,Richarlison got sent off and it didn't look as bad. If that challenge would have been on Sam I wouldn't be happy and the player invoved would need more than the blue tunnel to save him from the east stand ultras 

9 minutes ago, Shaymen1984 said:

It was rash. It was clumsy. It wasn't assault. We'll be locking up boxers before we know it. 

Not the same thing Shaymen1984. If you partake in any combat sport then you know you are going to get hit in one way or another. In a game of football there are challenges that are acceptable, a good strong challenge, the goalkeeper diving at a players feet etc, but Pickfords challenge in my opinion was out of control, and as such something needs to be done about it.

12 minutes ago, Shaymen1984 said:

It was rash. It was clumsy. It wasn't assault. We'll be locking up boxers before we know it. 

I agree about that particular challenge. Though I do wonder how assaults on the pitch don't get prosecuted - Suarez's biting for instance - yet those at Sunday league level often do.

• Like 1

How Bob Newton didnt get jailed for his leg breaking challenge on Kevin Johnson will forever be a mystery to me!! Worst tackle I've ever seen, Newton running off laughing as Johnson lay screaming in the mud and the referee waved play on??

22 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

How Bob Newton didnt get jailed for his leg breaking challenge on Kevin Johnson will forever be a mystery to me!! Worst tackle I've ever seen, Newton running off laughing as Johnson lay screaming in the mud and the referee waved play on??

The one on the halfway line at Hartlepool ? He did get a red card and enough abuse from me to last a lifetime (he even gestured to sort me out and the ref had to intervene)

2 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

The one on the halfway line at Hartlepool ? He did get a red card and enough abuse from me to last a lifetime (he even gestured to sort me out and the ref had to intervene)

He broke Johnsons leg at the Shay v Hartlepool??? Probably around 78/79ish. I couldnt get to away games back then but I remember the challenge like it was yesterday. Maybe there was something between him and Newton as Johnson had played for Hartlepool, maybe a bit of afters???

43 minutes ago, Sparrow said:

eric cantona should of been jailed

Exactly!! Had that been Joe Bloggins who attacked the guy in the stand then he would have been arrested and most likely jailed. Didnt Cantona do a runner to France though?

I refereed a games at St Bedes (Bradford) in a cup match that turned a bit tasty. It ended up with a mass brawl between about 10-12 players from each team, but one of the ran from about 15 yards away before smacking one of the home team in the face. Clear as day I could not miss it. After things clamed down and the cards were handed out, the thug who carried out what can only be classed as "assault" was sent off and a match report submitted to  both the Yorkshire League and the WRCFA, along with the disciplinary report which left no doubt as the seriousness of the offence.

I later found out that the player who had been attacked had to go to hospital with a fractured cheekbone. He made a complaint to the Police and the next morning the offending player received a visit from the boy in blue, with the result being he received a caution. It turned out the player who ended up injured said he would not have reported it to the police if the other player had apologised after the game.

So, yes, any player can take his grievance to the police irrespective of whether it happens between the white line or not.  

Edited by ITMAN
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

Remember that one .. you could hear the break all around the ground