2 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

They’ve said that no action will be taken because the incident was ‘seen at the time’, I believe

I know they commented on Saturday, but their comments were based on that stupid "offside" rule which basically says you can murder a player and if he was offside then no charges will be brought against you. But in the cold light of day they need to review the incident and take the necessary action, they've done it before and this incident certainly warrants it.

7 hours ago, greygoose said:

Should goal line technology not allow goals that are only 5mm over, just the ones that are well over?

In goal line technology the whole ball has to be over the line, that's not marginal in anyway. Perhaps offsides should be whole body offside following the same principle? Benefit of doubt for the attacker as the game is all about goals. 

Edited by shaymen_x

I'm all for VAR with proper guidelines, enforced properly. It should be all about the game but the game and it's players get faster and fitter year by year. Managers are more astute and have teams pushing on the edge of the  boundaries. 

Take it away we will simply back to slating referees and looking like absolute idiots when we get home and see the replay and realise we were wrong and the referee was right. We've all done it. Conversely, the referees should never be the main talking point, and they always used to be. 

8 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

I'm all for VAR with proper guidelines, enforced properly. It should be all about the game but the game and it's players get faster and fitter year by year. Managers are more astute and have teams pushing on the edge of the  boundaries. 

Take it away we will simply back to slating referees and looking like absolute idiots when we get home and see the replay and realise we were wrong and the referee was right. We've all done it. Conversely, the referees should never be the main talking point, and they always used to be. 

It´s the off side rule which is wrong.

It’s not that long ago that the offside rule was clarified to require daylight between the players. Now it’s gone completely the other way. Mad!

Regarding VAR, we wanted goalline technology, but we got VAR!

One big gripe about VAR is the amount of time they take to come to a decision. Just now in the Leeds game vs Wolves, Wolves had a goal disallowed for offside in the build up. From the first replay they put the line up and it was obvious that the Wolves player had his outstretched leg offside, yet the still spent another minute looking at it from different angles. Why? It just disrupts the game more than necessary. The correct call, without a doubt, but it took way longer than it needed to checking it.

On 10/18/2020 at 1:29 PM, TommyH72 said:

My campaign to get VAR kicked out of the game got a great big helping hand yesterday with the fiasco at Everton. The two major incidents where it was called upon and two absolutely abysmal decisions. Even without VAR, how did the referee not send Pickford off for his assault on Van Dyke. Anywhere else on the pitch and an outfield player would have been walking voluntarily to the tunnel before the Ref got his card out. What really surprises me is that the ref was Michael Oliver who is by far the best of the top officials currently doing the rounds. Early reports suggest Van Dyke may be out for the rest of the season. Perhaps this ought to be one of those rare occasions where the FA step in and ban Pickford anyway, an horrendous challenge. The second VAR decision was the offside given against Mane that ruled out Hendersons late goal that would have won Liverpool the game. If thats off side then we may as well wrap up now. If you havent seen it then watch the highlights!!! But all this does is add weight to the fact that VAR is essentially a waste of time, GET IT OUT.

Tommy, I would take another view on the Pickford incident. Take for example if the ball goes out for a throw in, while the ball is being retrieved, Bluer No. 5 punches Red No. 9 in the face. Should the referee send off Blue No. 5 for Violent Conduct or does the referee have a strong word with Blue No. 5 regarding his behaviour as the ball was out of play?

The same applies to the Pickford incident. Whilst a penalty could not be awarded as the attacking player was in an offside position, the offending defender should still be punished for either playing in a reckless manner, or using excessive force and endangers the safety of an opponent. The Laws of the game states:

If an offence involves contact, it is penalised by a direct free kick.
• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when
making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction
is needed
• Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to,
or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
• Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force
and/or endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

In this case there will be no award of a direct free kick as the game had stopped for an offside infringement. Although in this instance the Liverpool player had committed no offence until he played the ball, so the contact by Pickford was still excessive. IMO I would have sent Pickford off had I been the referee on the day.