The root of all evil

The rugby club have always seen the “soccer” club as a commercial rival.

Perhaps the massive success of Huddersfield Town, winning the First Division Championship 3 times in the 1920’s had two further effects:

1. It made the rugby club in Halifax fear Halifax Town could achieve the same and they felt justified in their opposition.

2. Halifax, Elland and Brighouse people chose to support Huddersfield due to their successes and this would set future generations down that path.

Many in Brighouse and Elland would have been anti-Halifax NUFC because they had competing clubs back in those days, rugby and cricket respectively. I'm not exactly sure when Brighouse rugby club declined, just as many other local clubs like Salterhebble did, but they were very well supported in the early 1900s. The cricket club at Thrum Hall was part of the same company as the rugby club and were making pretty serious annual losses trying to maintain their status, and Elland, King Cross and others were seen as competing clubs, so presumably locals would have been loathe to switch allegiance.

Always frustrated me the lack of co-operation between the clubs .. always felt that the clubs should not just co-exist but try and work together in many areas 

now however I just want them to “go away” but not in such a polite way 

1 hour ago, Riders of Rohan said:

The rugby club have always seen the “soccer” club as a commercial rival.

Perhaps the massive success of Huddersfield Town, winning the First Division Championship 3 times in the 1920’s had two further effects:

1. It made the rugby club in Halifax fear Halifax Town could achieve the same and they felt justified in their opposition.

2. Halifax, Elland and Brighouse people chose to support Huddersfield due to their successes and this would set future generations down that path.

Huddersfield also canvassed other league clubs to vote against our re-election on several season in order to pinch our fan base.

13 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Huddersfield also canvassed other league clubs to vote against our re-election on several season in order to pinch our fan base.

Is that true or possibly just a local urban myth? It has to be said that Bradford City did much more to help the fledgling Halifax Town club, but Huddersfield also played their part as well. I guess it's possible that the relationship soured over the years but a lot of players have moved between the two clubs and fixtures between the two were pretty regular until the 90s.

4 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Is that true or possibly just a local urban myth? It has to be said that Bradford City did much more to help the fledgling Halifax Town club, but Huddersfield also played their part as well. I guess it's possible that the relationship soured over the years but a lot of players have moved between the two clubs and fixtures between the two were pretty regular until the 90s.

True Hoddie I was present at a meeting when we were having to apply for re- election. I had been told they would vote against us but to actively canvass other clubs I was shall we say staggered.  

• Thanks 1

I was told this by Tony Thwaites, he said John Crowther would go round  canvassing clubs for their votes when we were applying for re-election and Huddersfield would tell him straight that they would not be voting for us. Fortunately John Crowther was well liked among chairmen of other clubs but if Huddersfield had their way they would have had us out.

2 hours ago, townmad said:

I was told this by Tony Thwaites, he said John Crowther would go round  canvassing clubs for their votes when we were applying for re-election and Huddersfield would tell him straight that they would not be voting for us. Fortunately John Crowther was well liked among chairmen of other clubs but if Huddersfield had their way they would have had us out.

As it happened, his efforts just delayed the inevitable. :( 

On 10/16/2020 at 6:52 PM, townmad said:

John told me the two Clubs who consistently voted against us were Huddersfield and Liverpool (I've posted this before). While the reason for Hudders opposition is obvious, he could never understand Liverpool, particularly as they always told him they would vote for us!

"During the 1895 close season arrangements were made (by Halifax AFC, Town's predecessors) to occupy the Pheasant Ground at Pellon, but subsequently overtures were made by the Rugby Club, which resulted in an amalgamation, with the promise that the games should be played at Thrum Hall.....

....For two more years the club remained at Thrum Hall, but eventually opposition on the part of the Rugby members caused the Association section to be dropped"

This is from the "Official History of the Club" handbook, and shows there were issues as early as 1897.

• Like 2

There has always seemed to be a bit of an inferiority complex with rugby fans when it comes to football. This isn't just a Fax/Town thing, however something that seems to transcend across both codes of Rugby to all of football in general. I've never got the attraction to rugby at all, it is, certainly more so with league, a very skill less sport. 

The "Oi Oi, Rugby lads banta" style seems to be a huge effort of bravado and willy waving that their sport is actually worth paying attention to. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Flea said:

There has always seemed to be a bit of an inferiority complex with rugby fans when it comes to football. This isn't just a Fax/Town thing, however something that seems to transcend across both codes of Rugby to all of football in general. I've never got the attraction to rugby at all, it is, certainly more so with league, a very skill less sport. 

The "Oi Oi, Rugby lads banta" style seems to be a huge effort of bravado and willy waving that their sport is actually worth paying attention to. 

It's a conundrum. If Rugby League's any good, why is it only watched round the M62? If it's rubbish, why doesn't it die out altogether?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, kit said:

It's a conundrum. If Rugby League's any good, why is it only watched round the M62? If it's rubbish, why doesn't it die out altogether?

It's been suffering a slow, lingering death for 140 years now :)