52 minutes ago, Nick said:

I was not trying to take into account ..some people seem to think that paying at the gate or a season ticket covers the cost.. it doesn’t probably around half the cost 

the other money comes from sponsorship. Merchandising golf days :) .. cup runs some league hand out .. 

gifts and donation .. in short getting people to pay in or buy things over and over again .. 

2200 means the club break even, DB´s words.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought my £12 pass for the Woking game on Thursday. The way I see it, this is far cheaper than what I would have to shell out if I had to travel from Yorkshire to Woking, then pay to get in to

I'm starting to get a bit irritated by all this talk of simply gifting money to Halifax Town and, even worse, opposition clubs. If people are feeling philanthropic then by all means give away every pe

Unlikely to win the league due to finances. We're only a couple of points off the play-offs during a tough opening few games and without our first-choice strikers. Our only defeat was down to a wonder

Posted Images

can someone enlarge me on where supporters are being pressurised to make financial donations which they cannot afford.

All I have seen are suggestions on this forum from committed supporters exploring different money raising schemes which are not compulsory to join

I actually thought Woking approach of a three tiered streaming subscription was an excellent idea (No thumb screws involved)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Bill Atkins said:

can someone enlarge me on where supporters are being pressurised to make financial donations which they cannot afford.

All I have seen are suggestions on this forum from committed supporters exploring different money raising schemes which are not compulsory to join

I actually thought Woking approach of a three tiered streaming subscription was an excellent idea (No thumb screws involved)

But unfortunately the streaming was crap. I am in the Hoddie camp I feel the forum is turning into a fund raising forum instead of football forum, I was directly asked to give my refund for the stream to the supporters fund for the Shay and as I have stated previously without a clear and transparent statement of affairs from the club I feel I give enough.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, francisfirth said:

Expect folk to point to why why went bust. I would argue it breathed new life into this tired football club and for me, the past decade or so have been amongst the most enjoyable I have had in 40 plus years of supporting the opposite of Brazil. 

I agree. 1994 to 2008 were awful, with the exception of 1997/8. A couple of the most recent years not that great either, but the journey back up the leagues was enjoyable for novelty value.

3 minutes ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

I agree. 1994 to 2008 were awful, with the exception of 1997/8. A couple of the most recent years not that great either, but the journey back up the leagues was enjoyable for novelty value.

TBH been pretty crap from 1949 to 2008 with a couple of exceptional years. Unfortunately I know very little from 2004/2010.

34 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Balanced informative report, notable though that Clarke was not booked for a supposed bad challenge yet three of Wokings player were booked.

Yes Roy, he did dodge a bullet or two, considering the other cards being handed out.

On a totally different note, interesting to see the referee was a Mr Quelch, not a common name, and one which brought back fond memories of a childhood spent reading Billy Bunter stories, courtesy of Beechwood Road library.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

But unfortunately the streaming was crap. I am in the Hoddie camp I feel the forum is turning into a fund raising forum instead of football forum, I was directly asked to give my refund for the stream to the supporters fund for the Shay and as I have stated previously without a clear and transparent statement of affairs from the club I feel I give enough.

"Maybe you could drop the refunds in Kit's Bucket...." Steve I fail to see how my suggestion could be construed as a direct demand. It was a comment in line with other forum members who thought that bringing back Kit's Bucket, if only virtually, was a good idea. 

14 hours ago, francisfirth said:

There are many ways to be prudent, the best I can think of is to invest in something that will grow. In football terms Vardy and Gregory were great examples. Roberts and Liam Hogan, similar but no cash.. Gardner of course and Judas Tuton. The point is, without backing and risk taking we wouldn't have had the financial cushion to eat into. We only spent the money because we had made good decisions to acquire it in the first place. How many other small, no hope non league clubs can claim the same track record?  Let's not underestimate what got us to a point of financial stability that stands out beyond any other in this or the previous club.  

Expect folk to point to why why went bust. I would argue it breathed new life into this tired football club and for me, the past decade or so have been amongst the most enjoyable I have had in 40 plus years of supporting the opposite of Brazil. 

I disagree. Under normal circumstances I'm a big fan of speculating to accumulate. I don't agree that it equates to the same as being prudent.

50 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I disagree. Under normal circumstances I'm a big fan of speculating to accumulate. I don't agree that it equates to the same as being prudent.

I think the term we are searching for is "sound financial management". This covers speculating to accumulate as well as being prudent when the situation demands this. 

Francis is correct

The definition of Prudent

Acting with or showing care and thought for the future

Asking one of the Brothers Grimm to acknowledge that the current BOD has run the club in a satisfactory manner over the last ten years equates to asking Jeff King not to get booked

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Bill Atkins said:

Francis is correct

The definition of Prudent

Acting with or showing care and thought for the future

Asking one of the Brothers Grimm to acknowledge that the current BOD has run the club in a satisfactory manner over the last ten years equates to asking Jeff King not to get booked

What's the most prudent? 

Spending money you don't have to spend in the hope of getting a return, or not spending it in the first place? Let's call a spade a spade and stop dancing with semantics. 

Attacking me just shows how inherently poor your argument is. 

24 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

I think the term we are searching for is "sound financial management". This covers speculating to accumulate as well as being prudent when the situation demands this. 

My argument is if the club's financial outlook is so uncertain that we need to donate ever more money, they really shouldn't be spending unnecessarily. I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to find the exact term or phrase that justifies otherwise. 

16 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

My argument is if the club's financial outlook is so uncertain that we need to donate ever more money, they really shouldn't be spending unnecessarily. I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to find the exact term or phrase that justifies otherwise. 

But what if they need the donations to spend the money on extra/better players that enable us to get promoted and earn far more money than we could in this league?

I get what you are saying - but there's more than one way to skin a cat and it's not like they are chucking tens of thousands out on new signings.

1 hour ago, ITMAN said:

"Maybe you could drop the refunds in Kit's Bucket...." Steve I fail to see how my suggestion could be construed as a direct demand. It was a comment in line with other forum members who thought that bringing back Kit's Bucket, if only virtually, was a good idea. 

Not demanded Itman asked. their is a big difference, if you had demanded I would have told you where to go in no uncertain terms.:D

36 minutes ago, greg45 said:

But what if they need the donations to spend the money on extra/better players that enable us to get promoted and earn far more money than we could in this league?

I get what you are saying - but there's more than one way to skin a cat and it's not like they are chucking tens of thousands out on new signings.

Absolutely, under normal circumstances, chase the dream, prudently of course. This season is not normal. The club is clearly not desperate for our cash if they're out there signing players we didn't actually need the day before the first game.

As I've said, people should feel free to hand over their hard earned if they want, but I think making the suggestion that others should do the same, and making it multiple times, is a bit pernicious. 

If we need to fundraise then there should be a formal thing put in place either by the club or the Supporters Club and then we can all judge it on its merits. A raffle, new merchandise, another club to join, sell some shares (as if), sponsor a player's laces, whatever. This constant suggestion that we throw a few quid in here and there is not only not going to achieve very much imo, but may even have the opposite effect than intended. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Absolutely, under normal circumstances, chase the dream, prudently of course. This season is not normal. The club is clearly not desperate for our cash if they're out there signing players we didn't actually need the day before the first game.

As I've said, people should feel free to hand over their hard earned if they want, but I think making the suggestion that others should do the same, and making it multiple times, is a bit pernicious. 

If we need to fundraise then there should be a formal thing put in place either by the club or the Supporters Club and then we can all judge it on its merits. A raffle, new merchandise, another club to join, sell some shares (as if), sponsor a player's laces, whatever. This constant suggestion that we throw a few quid in here and there is not only not going to achieve very much imo, but may even have the opposite effect than intended. 

Still waiting for my last lot.:o

45 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Not demanded Itman asked. their is a big difference, if you had demanded I would have told you where to go in no uncertain terms.:D

There does seem to be a lot of semantics being used today...I would hope that the use of the word maybe to begin my statement would infer that it was a suggestion. As in "maybe, we could do this..." rather than a straight "you could drop it in Kit's bucket.." which depending on the inflection or tone of the statement would sound more like a request but not a demand. 

Next time I must remember to add an emoji to indicate what I was intending to say.:D

Edited by ITMAN
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

There does seem to be a lot of semantics being used today...I would hope that the use of the word maybe to begin my statement would infer that it was a suggestion. As in "maybe, we could do this..." rather than a straight "you could drop it in Kit's bucket.." which depending on the inflection or tone of the statement would sound more like a request but not a demand. 

Next time I must remember to add an emoji to indicate what I was intending to say.

Don´t worry about it ITMAN I´m not.

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

What's the most prudent? 

Spending money you don't have to spend in the hope of getting a return, or not spending it in the first place? Let's call a spade a spade and stop dancing with semantics. 

Attacking me just shows how inherently poor your argument is. 

Not attacking you just making an observation after analysing your posts regarding the current board over many years Would not want to get suspended like Erik

• Haha 1
Just now, Bill Atkins said:

Not attacking you just making an observation after analysing your posts regarding the current board over many years Would not want to get suspended like Erik

Sorry do I hurt your sensibilities when I'm critical of the board? Perhaps you'd prefer I pretended to live in lala land like some of you seem to.

Erik ended up suspended through his own stupidity.