Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West would be plausible but East Shields might have drainage problems

‘We’re Geordies, divven’t ya knaw.’  

wai aye man

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

I remember most of it now my memory has been jogged, was Trevor Hockey playing for Brum in that match.

Yes it´s the game where their player Fred Pickering shouted leave it Pick which our CH (Pickering)did and they scored.

22 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Yes it´s the game where their player Fred Pickering shouted leave it Pick which our CH (Pickering)did and they scored.

Was Bob Latchford also in their team. One of the last proper CF's in the English game, fearless & fearsome.

6 hours ago, hunsworthhound said:

But we didn't  lose to Birmingham city in the 3rd round that was the year after. We drew 1 1 at home to Bristol  city  and lost the replay  4 1

Sorry, I must have got them mixed up.

This has banana skin all over it. They will big up the "underdog" tag but the truth is they are another financially doped side who are more than able to match Conference teams. They pretty much have a free shot at us - if they lose, well everyone will just look at the league gap and say it was expected. If they win it will be sold as one of the biggest upsets of the year. 

Just go and do a professional job town. 

• Like 2

Anyone else struggling to get excited for this? Financially it will benefit us if we make it through a couple of rounds. But I'd personally be heartbroken if we got a plum 3rd round draw and had to sit and watch it on the box. I have never seen us get to the 3rd round. When it does happen I'd rather be there. 

If we lost I really couldnt say how disappointed I would be 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Anyone else struggling to get excited for this? Financially it will benefit us if we make it through a couple of rounds. But I'd personally be heartbroken if we got a plum 3rd round draw and had to sit and watch it on the box. I have never seen us get to the 3rd round. When it does happen I'd rather be there. 

Imagine our disappointment in 1988/89 when we reached the third round and all the big guns went into the hat. Liverpool, Forest, Man Utd, Spurs, Everton. Who did we get? Kettering away, ruddy non-league Kettering. At least we survived long enough to make into the fourth round draw, where Charlton awaited the winners of the replay we'd earned. All we had to do was beat Kettering at home. What could possibly go wrong? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Greggs said:

Completely get you, but it's the same for all clubs. It's still better to win even when it's kind of hollow and there's no real spectacle to fight for. Think of that sweet prize money! 

26 minutes ago, olitheshayman said:

Completely get you, but it's the same for all clubs. It's still better to win even when it's kind of hollow and there's no real spectacle to fight for. Think of that sweet prize money! 

Looking at the fixture list for Nov we potentially only have 2 league games all month if we do not progress in the FA Cup and the FA Trophy. We have already lost the game against Notts County and we are scheduled to play Macclesfield on the  17th November. Add to this that the first round of the FA Trophy is scheduled for 14th November, when we are scheduled to play Solihull away in the league. This potentially shows that from the game at the end of Oct at home to Wealdstone we have our next league match on the 21st Nov at home to Torquay. The following week we are down to play Sutton Utd away, but this clashes with 2nd round of the FA Cup should we get that far.

So winning these cup games will be critical in keeping players match fit for the run of games in Dec and the re-arranged games to come.

3 hours ago, Shaymus said:

Imagine our disappointment in 1988/89 when we reached the third round and all the big guns went into the hat. Liverpool, Forest, Man Utd, Spurs, Everton. Who did we get? Kettering away, ruddy non-league Kettering. At least we survived long enough to make into the fourth round draw, where Charlton awaited the winners of the replay we'd earned. All we had to do was beat Kettering at home. What could possibly go wrong? 

And on Match of the Day, Ketterings front line of Robbie Cooke & Ernie Moss were asked who they wanted after their 2nd round victory over Bristol Rovers.  "An away game against one of the big guns".  No its the Shaymen at home!  Their second rnd match was one of the ones featured alongside us beating Alty on MOTD.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, pen21 said:

Could there be any possible next round away tie that we could be allowed to attend if all home allocation tickets are not used by the home team

I wouldn’t have thought so. All home teams will more than likely sell out straight away 

10 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Looking at the fixture list for Nov we potentially only have 2 league games all month if we do not progress in the FA Cup and the FA Trophy. We have already lost the game against Notts County and we are scheduled to play Macclesfield on the  17th November. Add to this that the first round of the FA Trophy is scheduled for 14th November, when we are scheduled to play Solihull away in the league. This potentially shows that from the game at the end of Oct at home to Wealdstone we have our next league match on the 21st Nov at home to Torquay. The following week we are down to play Sutton Utd away, but this clashes with 2nd round of the FA Cup should we get that far.

So winning these cup games will be critical in keeping players match fit for the run of games in Dec and the re-arranged games to come.

You had me confused for a minute re: Trophy on 14th November, and it's true that that's 1st Round day and I thought why the hell would they arrange a league game then too, but then I remembered they re-numbered them a few years back and 'Conference' National teams don't come in until 3rd Round these days.

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-new/files/competitions/2020-21/trophy-and-vase/the-buildbase-fa-trophy---list-of-exemptions.ashx

12 hours ago, Shaymus said:

I had a proper 8-year-old sulk after that defeat and refused to eat Kellogg's cereal for months because I noticed on the box that their UK head office address was in Kettering...

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Shayman Matt said:

You had me confused for a minute re: Trophy on 14th November, and it's true that that's 1st Round day and I thought why the hell would they arrange a league game then too, but then I remembered they re-numbered them a few years back and 'Conference' National teams don't come in until 3rd Round these days.

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-new/files/competitions/2020-21/trophy-and-vase/the-buildbase-fa-trophy---list-of-exemptions.ashx

I had a proper 8-year-old sulk after that defeat and refused to eat Kellogg's cereal for months because I noticed on the box that their UK head office address was in Kettering...

Matt, thanks for clearing that up, it confused me as well. I assumed that NL teams came in for the 1st Round proper, but it is not until the 3rd Round, scheduled for 19th December. So the away game at Weymouth will still go ahead and be on BT Sports. I suppose that is a double edged sword for Weymouth as the income from BT may not make up for the lost streaming revenue. 

14 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Well if things stay as is we will be playing Sutton as they too are losing 1-0.