Bobby Davison at Derby County

Won 2-1 at home , lost 3-2 away 4-4 on aggregate , through to next round on away goals , cue celebrations in the away end at full time from those (me included) who had not realized that unlike previously in the Milk Cup away goals rule had changed to after extra time where we conceeded another two.

Just about sums up the luck the club gets , none.

Good trip to the Baseball ground anyway .

• Like 1

Remember going to the cup game, the bus driver got hopelessly lost, starting by heading West on the M62 at Ainley Top, ended up going through Staffordshire, etc  getting in for the second half. Needless to say that the driver didn't get a tip!

16 minutes ago, Caygillwashere said:

Remember going to the cup game, the bus driver got hopelessly lost, starting by heading West on the M62 at Ainley Top, ended up going through Staffordshire, etc  getting in for the second half. Needless to say that the driver didn't get a tip!

Was on same coach, remember getting there and some Derby fans were waiting outside away end

2 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

One of my most memorable games watching Town. When Davison brought it back to 2-2, time stood still in the away pen. Probably my favourite ever Town player, and certainly the most reliable finisher I've seen in the shirt, with honourable mentions for Steve Norris, David Longhurst and Jamie Vardy.

We were sat in the back row of the main stand. Brian Clough straight in front of us. "Come on Brian; he must be worth a million" was our sales pitch as Bobby's two goals went in. "He took that one well" was his response to the second goal, but no million forthcoming, unfortunately!

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, kit said:

We were sat in the back row of the main stand. Brian Clough straight in front of us. "Come on Brian; he must be worth a million" was our sales pitch as Bobby's two goals went in. "He took that one well" was his response to the second goal, but no million forthcoming, unfortunately!

It was a great finish. Through ball from Steve Spooner?

18 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

I had the pleasure of reminiscing with Vernon Allatt at the Big 40 event over the goal I saw him score in the 2-4 win at Wimbledon in the late 70s. ‘Bobby Davison’s hat-trick?’ was his humble reply.

I was at wimbledon too, went expecting nothing, they were top of the league I think?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, monk said:

Won 2-1 at home , lost 3-2 away 4-4 on aggregate , through to next round on away goals ,

Not quite. Derby scored twice in extra-time to win the match 5-2 (6-4 on aggregate). But yes, had the away goals rule counted, Town would have gone through after 90 mins at the Baseball Ground.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

He was actually in the Arsenal manager Terry Neill's office when Town rang with Derby's offer

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-bobby-davison-arsenal-4095341

If anybody remembers Taffy from the old Halifax Sporting Club - self appointed doorman, caretaker, pool player, top character - he showed me the letter from Terry Neill inviting Bobby Davison to Arsenal for a trial.   

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Shaymus said:

If anybody remembers Taffy from the old Halifax Sporting Club - self appointed doorman, caretaker, pool player, top character - he showed me the letter from Terry Neill inviting Bobby Davison to Arsenal for a trial.   

Alan Jones. Was related to Neville Southall .....  or so he claimed.

10 hours ago, Shaymus said:

Not quite. Derby scored twice in extra-time to win the match 5-2 (6-4 on aggregate). But yes, had the away goals rule counted, Town would have gone through after 90 mins at the Baseball Ground.

To be honest not many in the away realised we had not gone through , it was only when we realised the  players were not acting like they had won did the penny drop along with a few shouting out the change in the rules .

Bit of a V.A.R moment , ecstacy followed by despair .

Who scored in the first leg ? Cannot find any team news online apart from Derby , nothing about us , the name Staniforth rings a bell with me but it was 38 years ago .

17 hours ago, Caygillwashere said:

Yep I was in on that coach , soon as we got off we got promptly chased by a group of derby fans who had been chucked out 

Yes, Bobby is one of my all time favorite Halifax players...along with Jamie Patterson and Steve Norris.

It was a brilliant signing by Mickey Bullock when he brought him in, I think from Huddersfield.

The 2 games against Derby were great, I was at both. Dave Staniforth scored for us in the first match.

I was also lucky enough to be at the Wimbledon 4-2 victory. That was one of the best away performances and results I've seen from the Shaymen, and Davison was absolutely brilliant that day. Very good goal also from the often criticized Vernon Allat.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, monk said:

To be honest not many in the away realised we had not gone through , it was only when we realised the  players were not acting like they had won did the penny drop along with a few shouting out the change in the rules .

Bit of a V.A.R moment , ecstacy followed by despair .

Who scored in the first leg ? Cannot find any team news online apart from Derby , nothing about us , the name Staniforth rings a bell with me but it was 38 years ago .

Davison 80, Swindlehurst equaliser 85, Staniforth winner 89th minute - missed by me as I didn't want to miss my 9.20pm bus. I assumed it would end 1-1, but informed by Keith Nuttall that we'd got the winner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, oldskir said:

Yes, Bobby is one of my all time favorite Halifax players...along with Jamie Patterson and Steve Norris.

It was a brilliant signing by Mickey Bullock when he brought him in, I think from Huddersfield.

The 2 games against Derby were great, I was at both. Dave Staniforth scored for us in the first match.

I was also lucky enough to be at the Wimbledon 4-2 victory. That was one of the best away performances and results I've seen from the Shaymen, and Davison was absolutely brilliant that day. Very good goal also from the often criticized Vernon Allat.

Followed a week later by FA Cup defeat by North Shields!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1