Take a bow Sam Johnson

Well done on the 200 big Sam, here’s to the next 200!

Think we are a good fit for him, and he’s obvs settled with the club and let’s be honest is going to start in pretty much every game.

It’s all good, think we have one of the best goalies in the league.

Im thinking he’s the last of the FA Trophy Wembley team too.... 

Another keeper nobody seems to remember is John Savage who went to Man City from us. I remember him coming back for what would probably have been a testimonial game. I recall him picking little kids from off the fence and sitting them on the crossbar. To a little lad like me he looked a giant.

8 minutes ago, townmad said:

Another keeper nobody seems to remember is John Savage who went to Man City from us. I remember him coming back for what would probably have been a testimonial game. I recall him picking little kids from off the fence and sitting them on the crossbar. To a little lad like me he looked a giant.

Very true townmad. Always good & steady never looked outstanding but that´s what makes a good keeper really.

1 hour ago, Roy Race said:

Certainly the most consistent & reliable. To be fair goalkeepers of that era did just that, today they have to cope with kicking back passes & act as a sweeper.

Add in the nonsense around players standing in an offside position at free kicks, such Fat Read yesterday and there are distractions keepers in the older days did not have to contend with. Admittedly, he also does not have to put up with the good old shoulder charge, but then again, most modern forwards would probably just bounce off of him. 

On 10/11/2020 at 4:06 PM, ITMAN said:

Add in the nonsense around players standing in an offside position at free kicks, such Fat Read yesterday and there are distractions keepers in the older days did not have to contend with. Admittedly, he also does not have to put up with the good old shoulder charge, but then again, most modern forwards would probably just bounce off of him. 

They don’t have Jack Charlton or Joe Jordan beating them up.

Remember Ian Lawther’s shoulder charge goal when keeper and ball went into the net.

Remember Alex Smith dealing with Big Jack seemingly catching the ball from behind him.

1 hour ago, Riders of Rohan said:

They don’t have Jack Charlton or Joe Jordan beating them up.

Remember Ian Lawther’s shoulder charge goal when keeper and ball went into the net.

Remember Alex Smith dealing with Big Jack seemingly catching the ball from behind him.

Or how goalkeepers were coached to jump to collect the ball with one of their knees out in front, in case any forwards wanted a taste of it....

Although this made me smile.