Today’s game v Borehamwood

44 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

If you got the same level of points from every 3 games you would end up with 58-59 points, not enough to get into the play-offs.

Yes but not even the best statistician would predict the outcome of a whole season on a sample of three games. 

If I was stupid, which I'm not (lol), I could say:

--- If we take 3 points (a win) from every home game 23 x 3 = 69pts

...... And then 1 point from every two away games 23 ÷ 2 = 12pts

Then we would have (69 + 12) 81pts this season. That's play off form. 

My point is you can't predict a season on the evidence of three games with a new team. 

By the way Hoddie I don't see how any of this can be construed as giving you abuse. That certainly wasn't my intention. It's just healthy debate that we've all missed in the current climate. 

Edited by shaymen_x
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I, for one, never expected a day on this site when TJ was accusing someone else of being too harsh on the team 

You can tell you don’t live in the UK and watch Town often. The energy, high pressing and passing is miles better than the past few seasons. 3 of the favourites for the league played so far and 4 poin

I think some are being over critical if you look at the team. Sam still one of the best in the league Wing backs, both grown into the position and Senior looked good preseason no- one really

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Honestly just wondering how bad things were last couple of seasons for the last two games to signal that we're headed for the playoffs.

Three games in and the defence looks like it has great potential but still a bit ropey, though two clean sheets gives them massive credit. They look to play the ball out as well which is encouraging. Going forward the only threat is from our midfield, Summerfield and Earing in particular. Once other teams work that out, we're nullified. Hyde may change things entirely but we're headed for midtable mediocrity on this form imo.

Their keeper had one save to make, and as against Stockport it was a cracker. But most keepers have one good save a game in them, we need to get those shots firing in, instead we seem to pass from just outside area to wide of the box, and then fanny about long enough to waste the opportunity. Happened several times today and against Stockport. Their keeper also cut out a good cross which looked certain to lead to a goal, one of very few crosses it has to be said, so you could say that was a good save as well. 

Where do you find all your compliments from!!!.

12 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

You haven't even seen all four teams but you're able to say with confidence that Dagenham were the worst of those four? For me they looked dangerous every time they moved forward. Funny how people demand we give time for Town's new players to gel, but Dagenham must be judged on their first game? In my opinion they looked much more threatening than Stockport, and BHW were nowhere near. That said, D&R have failed to deliver for two seasons now so perhaps they're destined to do the same again.

Really? Did they even test Johnson at all? Having watched that game I didn’t see them ever scoring. 

Stockport and Boreham Wood are dangerous and were both better than Dagenham. I have watched all 4 teams as well as I watched the 2nd half in the hotel room. 

Im shocked in regards to how negative you’re and that you’re struggling to even give a slight credit to town for how much they’ve improved 

• Like 1

The football we play is so much better. Very rarely we lump it up top. Good to see. I expected nothing from this season after an awful pre season and hold my hands up about our recruitment, summerfield an excellent midfielder and our defenders are a step above aswel. Its early days but im very happy with what ive seen. There will be bumps ahead but we need to be behing the manager and team the best we can. Roll on Tuesday 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, oldskir said:

So, Garrard thinks we were the better team.

Which you can’t argue with. Not overwhelmingly but certainly edged it.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Well I, for one, never expected a day on this site when TJ was accusing someone else of being too harsh on the team :lol:

As I say time and time again. The team will get credit when they deserve it. I don’t do none of this false hope or fake positivity bollocks like majority on here. I’ll say it how it is. 

This team has shown how they’ve come on leaps and bounds and for hoddie to come out and be negative about all 3 of our games so far is beyond me. 

On the showing so far I strongly believe and hope we will finish in the play offs. 

Edited by TJAshton
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Nick said:

It’s early in the season we have been solid even done well against fancied sides .. but it’s how we do against the less fancied dudes that count .. until Stinson and Hyde are back it’s difficult to tell if we are the real deal .. or a solid mid table side ..we need to kick on from here 

one thing i am optimistic on is this team looks less likely to have a mid season slump 

In recent years we have had some decent results against the better teams (home and away).  Then boptton four teams come to the Shay and it's either 0-0 or they nick it in the 90th minute.  Got to make sure those teams are well and truly dispatched - with big wins to enhance the goal diff column.

I wonder if Mr Hyde looks on here?  There seems to be a lot expected of him.  I'd be a bit nervous if I was him:D

11 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Watched their managers reaction to today, he knows we dominated them and deserved a point minimum and possibly 3. Knows we were the better team. Only Hoddie seems to think we weren't the better team :doh:

Have to be happy to nil a team with what most pundits on here suggest is one of the best frontlines in the division.

Yes there is room got improvement, we need to hold the ball up front & make better use of the ball when in the last quarter but we are building a good foundation to for allow this.

5 hours ago, shaymen_x said:

Yes but not even the best statistician would predict the outcome of a whole season on a sample of three games. 

My point is you can't predict a season on the evidence of three games with a new team. 

By the way Hoddie I don't see how any of this can be construed as giving you abuse. That certainly wasn't my intention. It's just healthy debate that we've all missed in the current climate. 

The point of my post was to show that you cannot judge a teams probable position on a sample of 3 games. Like all statistics they should be generated from as much data as possible.

Take for example the difference that one goal would make, Stockport's winner. Remove that and the result is a draw, which would then potentially have given the team a possible 5 points from every 3 games. This would result in 73-74 points, enough to get into the playoffs in 2018/19.

On such thin margins of error does a season depend. Personally, I think we are a much stronger, balanced and physical team than last season, so fully expect to achieve at least a playoff position.

At the same time I, so far, have never had the nervous feelings from last season when teams ran at our back 3-4. This season there is a much more composed air about the defensive unit and less of the just clear the lines panic mode we had last season.   

• Like 1
13 hours ago, shaymen_x said:

only 22 opponents this season, thanks to Macc !

Had a chance to look at the program supplied by BHW an spotted a few glaring mistakes.

The fixture list shown has no return fixture against FC Halifax Town, so obviouly they don't want to come to th shay for a tonking. Plus this apparently was our line up for the game against Stockport, no wonder we did not win the game.

image.png.d43fdf1ab455c1e3803ff8923f800539.png

1 hour ago, rdj said:

only 22 opponents this season, thanks to Macc !

That's blown it, now that is advanced mathematics. 

Not particularly sad about Macc, but they will probably come back in another incarnation and pass us on the way up. 

I think that this was a good point well earned and as many have said without the currently injured H&S up front we aren’t seeing PWs preferred selection.

Allen is an enigma, plays on the shoulder, has the speed , can beat a man , but little end product hope PW can find the answer to that particular riddle.

Just one concern was the amount of ground/ possession we conceded in the second half as I thought we also did against Dagenham , didn’t see the Stockport match, and at 0-0 and with awkward beggars like Rhead around it’s a dangerous game , having said that comparing  yesterday’s defence with the last time we were at BW does give me more confidence .

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Had a chance to look at the program supplied by BHW an spotted a few glaring mistakes.

The fixture list shown has no return fixture against FC Halifax Town, so obviouly they don't want to come to th shay for a tonking. Plus this apparently was our line up for the game against Stockport, no wonder we did not win the game.

I noticed that too. They also had Williams down as ‘The Playmaker’. 

A good point yesterday away against a team who I think will still be in and around the playoffs come the end of the season, even if they were poor today. The last two games were evident that we need Hyde back, though I’d rather him miss another game or 2 than rush him back and for him to get injured again and be out longer.

a big positive is the coup of summerfield, who looks like the quality replacement in the middle of the park at long last for Collins. Earing has also shows signs that he could be a key player.

i hope that come January if these players on one year contracts are still performing then they are offered another years deal before other clubs come sniffing around. We lose far too much talent on free transfers.

16 minutes ago, PRS said:

I think that this was a good point well earned and as many have said without the currently injured H&S up front we aren’t seeing PWs preferred selection.

Allen is an enigma, plays on the shoulder, has the speed , can beat a man , but little end product hope PW can find the answer to that particular riddle.

Just one concern was the amount of ground/ possession we conceded in the second half as I thought we also did against Dagenham , didn’t see the Stockport match, and at 0-0 and with awkward beggars like Rhead around it’s a dangerous game , having said that comparing  yesterday’s defence with the last time we were at BW does give me more confidence .

I noticed that when Rhead came on, but we looked comfortable with letting him win the header, and we mopped up the second ball. Tshimanga has played us twice in the last 3 months and he hasn’t had a kick in either game. 

• Like 2

I don’t mind them have possession when most of it was around the half way line .. my worry was how many times in the second half having worked hard to gain possession we gave it straight back with misplaced pass. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Also shows Summerfield with hair

• Haha 1