• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hebble Brook at bottom of town

How many times in the past have we had a great pre-season, then turned to crap the moment the real stuff starts? We have also had several pre-seasons where we have been poor, then got off to a fl

I'm on the verge of joining Positively Shaymen! 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Let's wait until we have actually played a competitive game.

Then by all means criticise, but until then just take pre season for what it is, a training exercise.

Training is for training exercises... the matches we have been playing are the chance for the players to show what they are made of, show their better quality, for the trialists to earn a contract, friendlies dont matter but dont coat over it, we should be beating these teams we have been facing

13 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Training is for training exercises... the matches we have been playing are the chance for the players to show what they are made of, show their better quality, for the trialists to earn a contract, friendlies dont matter but dont coat over it, we should be beating these teams we have been facing

Read all my previous comments re: pre season.

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

Despite the widespread criticism that you get for stating the plainly obvious, I agree with you Halifaxmark. I can never understand the attitude that a result doesn't matter coz its only a Pre-season game. So what!! We've played 4 games, I was at Clithero and I was vocal on these threads about my opinion of us getting embarrassed by a team of part timers, but I sucked up the criticism as it was the first outing of the new era. But dont try fob me off with the same old crap weeks later when we've played further games and trained everyday and dont appear to be any further forward. Wild has brought in players that he's been singing the praises of and your right, are they better than what we had, from what I'm looking at no they're not. If anything yesterday told me that we are still lacking any goal power, Stenson out injured for god knows how long, the other lad injured and we are now less than a week away from kick off. I've not seen any threads on here from anyone commenting on great midfield performances or outstanding wing play, and by now these are the things we should be hearing. So to those who say PS games dont matter, of course they do?

It seems people are of the opinion that you're over-reacting. In 97/98 we lost to Frickley Athletic and Doncaster Rovers, a league team admittedly but they were getting tonked 5- and 6-0 every game, and broke records on their way to relegation. In 87/88 we won every friendly but it didn't mean a damn thing. In 62/63 we beat Huddersfield Town 5-2 in a pre-season friendly, ended up getting relegated. These are the three seasons I'm working on in SOL right now, I'm sure I could pull up a dozen more examples. Pre-season friendlies do not give any indication of how the season will go. The only exception I've ever heard people talk about is when we beat a strong Huddersfield side 2-0 before romping to the Conference title.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

It seems people are of the opinion that you're over-reacting. In 97/98 we lost to Frickley Athletic and Doncaster Rovers, a league team admittedly but they were getting tonked 5- and 6-0 every game, and broke records on their way to relegation. In 87/88 we won every friendly but it didn't mean a damn thing. In 62/63 we beat Huddersfield Town 5-2 in a pre-season friendly, ended up getting relegated. These are the three seasons I'm working on in SOL right now, I'm sure I could pull up a dozen more examples. Pre-season friendlies do not give any indication of how the season will go. The only exception I've ever heard people talk about is when we beat a strong Huddersfield side 2-0 before romping to the Conference title.

I remember there being a massive buzz after the new FC Halifax Town side played exceptionally well but went down by one goal in a Shay pre-season friendly with Bury. The proof of Jim Vince's hastily squad, however, was in the pudding.

1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

Let's wait until we have actually played a competitive game.

Then by all means criticise, but until then just take pre season for what it is, a training exercise.

Partially agree. I’d say probably 5-10 games in is when we can fully start to praise/criticise 

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, thevicar said:

Like I said .wild talks too much bigging up the players he has brought in  now you all think we are world beaters. It’s going to take time for this team to gel and I do think we will struggle early on .mid table team at best.

I mean he's hardly gonna come out and say his own signings are terrible is he

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sounds as thought most of our “ fans” are just waiting to criticise, how sad but then again I’ve always said if you can please the people of Halifax you can please anybody.

i.e. OK is Halifax speak for excellent   

Not bad is Halifax speak for very good

Good is rarely used but if it was it would be Halifax speak for fantastic.

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, PRS said:

Sounds as thought most of our “ fans” are just waiting to criticise, how sad but then again I’ve always said if you can please the people of Halifax you can please anybody.

Well we were born in Gods own country so what do you expect.:o

26 minutes ago, PRS said:

Absolute rubbish. But people like to think everything is rosey etc. Saying it how it is isnt allowed anymore. It has been a rubbish pre season for us results wise. Let's hope results when it matters arent similar. Everyone who is a fcht supporter all want the same and that's a successful team, everyone wants PW to succeed. If we start off well people like you say "Where's all the negative fans now? " and if we start off poor you say "this is what the negative fans wanted". 

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Absolute rubbish. But people like to think everything is rosey etc. Saying it how it is isnt allowed anymore. It has been a rubbish pre season for us results wise. Let's hope results when it matters arent similar. Everyone who is a fcht supporter all want the same and that's a successful team, everyone wants PW to succeed. If we start off well people like you say "Where's all the negative fans now? " and if we start off poor you say "this is what the negative fans wanted". 

Nobody saying it’s rosy .. most people are just hoping for a good season .. reality will come out soon enough .. then we know.. one way or the other 

but let’s for now just hope..as that is usually all a town fan has 

and selling 500 ST at 299 or 1000 at 199 is going never going to give us a financial head start over half of the teams in this division 

so hope luck and hard work is what is needed 

Edited by Nick
6 hours ago, Hoddie said:

I know what your saying Hoddie, and I cant disagree because we have the stats to back it up!! My concern is always related to how the team perform right now, we can dress it up any which way but we have to be totally honest and say that it's been disappointing. We have brought in a cart load of new players, some of whom we havent seen due to the virus, but we are a Professional Football team and we should be beating teams such as those we have played, I mean no disrespect to any of them, but If you send out a team of 11 Pros who have trained together for several weeks then if they are of the required standard they should be winning. The only new lads that impressed me in the Clithero game was the lad who is now out injured and the other lad who took his goal really well, but hand on heart, are you, based on what we've been fed so far confident that we will go out next week and get a result?? Dont forget, we as supporters had/have high hopes for this season based on our great season last time out, I know we did fall away and probably wouldn't have made the playoffs if the season had run its course, but for more than 2/3rds of the season we were right up there and we are expecting the same and better this time out.  

1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

err yes orr maybe crazy situation.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

It sure does 

54 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Maybe:)

If only Ollie Bayliss could give us an update. 

37 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I know what your saying Hoddie, and I cant disagree because we have the stats to back it up!! My concern is always related to how the team perform right now, we can dress it up any which way but we have to be totally honest and say that it's been disappointing. We have brought in a cart load of new players, some of whom we havent seen due to the virus, but we are a Professional Football team and we should be beating teams such as those we have played, I mean no disrespect to any of them, but If you send out a team of 11 Pros who have trained together for several weeks then if they are of the required standard they should be winning. The only new lads that impressed me in the Clithero game was the lad who is now out injured and the other lad who took his goal really well, but hand on heart, are you, based on what we've been fed so far confident that we will go out next week and get a result?? Dont forget, we as supporters had/have high hopes for this season based on our great season last time out, I know we did fall away and probably wouldn't have made the playoffs if the season had run its course, but for more than 2/3rds of the season we were right up there and we are expecting the same and better this time out.  

Firstly we brought in a cart load of players because many rejected new contracts .. 

interestly few on here supported most of these players being offered contracts 

Wild said at the time he did not want to make too changes as he wanted to add and not rebuild .. again loads of criticism on here

next point ..we have not started on half let alone a game in preseason with 11 professionals ., each team like Saturday had youth team players ..

nit something wild wanted but knocks and injuries forced his had 

.. would rather have a fit team next Saturday rather than having played players carrying knocks yesterday just to try and get result to make some supporters happy 

;)