So with the news yesterday that fans won’t be allowed in yet, the default option is that the season becomes postponed as the league and clubs have said they won’t play behind closed doors. There’s the streaming option that has already been discussed on other threads, but until more comes out from the FA/National League I think we can assume the season isn’t starting yet.

This got me thinking, are the National League, and N/S divisions, the only leagues in the country not playing at the moment? The leagues below are not classed as ‘elite’ level so can have fans in to watch, and L2 and above can afford to play behind closed doors with the tv revenue they get. Certainly a bizarre situation to be in.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed. Maybe a cap (like the furlough scheme) so clubs either have to top up the salary, the player has to take a cut or they are made redundant. It is dangerous to offer a commercial enterprise

Actually Hoddie think the Grimsby chairman is right.  Having watched several games on tv without crowds its soul destroying.  We have government  who frightened of doing the wrong thing. Unf

Sorry to be a party pooper, but why should season ticket holders get both home and away games streamed free? Season ticket holders at all the National League clubs have paid to watch 23 home game

Posted Images

Got to admit.. the more I think about it the more I think that is the likely outcome 

unless all the clubs find a way to generate money then come the start of October many clubs will just pull out 

leaving an in operable league 

I think the only viable way is a league wide streaming service ..with all the clubs sharing the revenue with some formula reflecting each clubs subscription level 

the level per game could be relatively low but you would get access to home and away games 

if this can’t be done I see a cancelled season ..with quite a few clubs going out of existence 

and perhaps the only way to do this is cancel all cup competitions and just focus on a 23 week season ..playing Saturday and mid week .. with an 18 players a game allowing 5 subs 

• Like 1

I said yesterday the only 2 options now are Cancel the season or start and find away for the government to support it for the season. 

Postponement isn't an option as you wouldn't get the season finished in time to allow promotion and relegation. Certainly not with a 6 month postponement anyway. 

Everyone has built a squad so we might as well make them play for the wage they earn. The government absolutely has to support this but it needs to happen quick before the league meet tomorrow. 

Dagenham chairman says 20 million is needed in government funding to support a behind closed doors season 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Nick said:

Got to admit.. the more I think about it the more I think that is the likely outcome 

unless all the clubs find a way to generate money then come the start of October many clubs will just pull out 

leaving an in operable league 

I think the only viable way is a league wide streaming service ..with all the clubs sharing the revenue with some formula reflecting each clubs subscription level 

the level per game could be relatively low but you would get access to home and away games 

if this can’t be done I see a cancelled season ..with quite a few clubs going out of existence 

and perhaps the only way to do this is cancel all cup competitions and just focus on a 23 week season ..playing Saturday and mid week .. with an 18 players a game allowing 5 subs 

Cancelling the season you are looking at potentielly bankrupting 70/80% of the clubs in the 3 leagues.

Government will not fund this .. and let’s be honest they should not .. 

how can the government support this with some clubs paying players 2k- 4k a week .. 

and then which leagues .. 

a league wide streaming service is need.. perhaps government help to set it up or government help could be to allow it to be VAT free. 

cant be subsidizing clubs paying some players 100,000 a year 

7 minutes ago, Nick said:

Government will not fund this .. and let’s be honest they should not .. 

how can the government support this with some clubs paying players 2k- 4k a week .. 

and then which leagues .. 

a league wide streaming service is need.. perhaps government help to set it up or government help could be to allow it to be VAT free. 

cant be subsidizing clubs paying some players 100,000 a year 

Agreed. Maybe a cap (like the furlough scheme) so clubs either have to top up the salary, the player has to take a cut or they are made redundant.

It is dangerous to offer a commercial enterprise (such as the football pyramid) additional financial support when other businesses are at risk of going to the wall. Especially clubs that are bankrolled by wealthy owners; cant they bankroll the club through the pandemic rather than rely on government support?

It is down to the clubs to be imaginative, the players to be flexible (if they want a football career) and the supporters to do what they can to help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If the seasons cancelled who's paying all the contracted players? It may be far from ideal but we must all adapt at this level. If Clitheroe can have a live stream set up then so can all NL clubs. 

Delaying the start of the season until crowds are allowed is no longer the answer. If we do that, again,who's paying the overheads with lttle to no income streams. I think we either start as planned (or as close as possible) or many clubs are dead!

Yes but all clubs need a video streaming service 

so it’s best set up through the league 

no point starting a season then having four or five clubs go bankrupt during it 

but Solihul have been largely bank rolled over the years.. so little new for them 

unfortunately most of our league isnt, therefore we need a viable way for all 23 clubs to last the season 

I genuinely think this can be done if we work as one league, streaming all the games and then working out a sharing mechanism.. perhaps based on sales or perhaps based on last seasons average attendence, so the bigger clubs get a larger share but all clubs get something 

it can be done but it needs to be for all 23 clubs 

5 minutes ago, rdj said:

I had assumed Harrogate were bankrolled !

They possibly are. But they may have received some decent transfer fees or had some televised cup games, etc, which turned a projected loss into a minimal profit.

If the start is delayed then maybe a few "special" payments need to be made by the football association to help. Pull all cup competitions, however give every club the equivalent payment of reaching R3 of the FA Cup in prize money (Funded by the FA).

Take last seasons average attendances of each club to get a rough estimate of how much clubs made through gate money, then the FA award the clubs 30% of that as a "crisis" payment. It may cost the FA 25/30M in total, but that is nothing when considering its keeping 50+ clubs going. 

Season Ticket holders get FREE access to both home and away games via streaming. For non season ticket holders the cost is £10 a match. That money goes into a central pot and at the end of each month is divided equally out to all the teams. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Flea said:

If the start is delayed then maybe a few "special" payments need to be made by the football association to help. Pull all cup competitions, however give every club the equivalent payment of reaching R3 of the FA Cup in prize money (Funded by the FA).

Take last seasons average attendances of each club to get a rough estimate of how much clubs made through gate money, then the FA award the clubs 30% of that as a "crisis" payment. It may cost the FA 25/30M in total, but that is nothing when considering its keeping 50+ clubs going. 

Season Ticket holders get FREE access to both home and away games via streaming. For non season ticket holders the cost is £10 a match. That money goes into a central pot and at the end of each month is divided equally out to all the teams. 

In their most recent accounts, the Football Association has circa £150m in the coffers. I think it is fair to say that they should be supporting the 'pyramid' and its members rather than expecting the Government to do so.

• Like 1

Think each club in National League could be allocated one or two overpaid Premier League prima donnas who could fund the club for a season from their wage packets ....  If Bale is on (allegedly) £600 000 a week, then he could probably cover the cost of one of the three divisions on his own. Sponsorship? The Gareth Bale National League has a ring to it ..............

Would base payments on average gate and receipts and how many games we miss, if we lost 8!home games before fans allowed back would base it on last years average and x 8 , applicable to all clubs in the division. 

Sorry to be a party pooper, but why should season ticket holders get both home and away games streamed free?

Season ticket holders at all the National League clubs have paid to watch 23 home games.

They haven't paid for 46 games!!

Season ticket holders should pay the £10 fee for an away game like everyone else.

If streaming is to work to prevent clubs going bust, everything needs to be done to MAXIMIZE the income. Surely season ticket holders will see this, and be prepared to pay for some away games.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, oldskir said:

Sorry to be a party pooper, but why should season ticket holders get both home and away games streamed free?

Season ticket holders at all the National League clubs have paid to watch 23 home games.

They haven't paid for 46 games!!

Season ticket holders should pay the £10 fee for an away game like everyone else.

If streaming is to work to prevent clubs going bust, everything needs to be done to MAXIMIZE the income. Surely season ticket holders will see this, and be prepared to pay for some away games.

I agree with that. However there has been a few on here that think it would be right for season ticket holders to pay for the same game twice in terms of paying for the stream after already paying for a season ticket. 

55 minutes ago, Flea said:

Whilst I admire your ingenuity, the FA will lose considerable income during 20/21 season through their inability to rake off a share of all the FA Cup match gate receipts in the way  they would do normally.