59 minutes ago, 154 Hopper Avenue said:

I didn't and don't expect perfection. But a large part of dealing with any genuine 'crisis' is to have clarity of message and leadership. And to be honest. I'm loathed to go over old and very well-trodden ground but all that shaking hands stuff, all the 'inalienable right to have a pint in a pub' rhetoric was bluster designed to cover a man who is out of his depth. 
Constantly extolling people to 'get behind NHS Test and Trace' is cover for the fact he knows it's not working. A large part of that is who he chose to give the testing to. 
No government will have an unblemished report card, but we've made mistake after mistake, have shifted even when the science didn't and have failed to get a grip. 
Rant over.....

It’s the double standards and hypocrisy of the Dominic Cummings Barnard Castle jaunt that got me. Meanwhile BJ is ranting on about us all to stay in doors or potentially be fined and then that prat keeps his job. Can’t be arsed with BJ and generally disillusioned with politics after that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All Swedish models appeal to me

It’s a load of crap and if people don’t believe it’s real, got yourselves scrubbed up and on the ICU at Calderdale Royal, then tell us it isn’t real.

It's not even a party political issue for me. It's about Johnson and those he chose to surround himself with (and the reasons they're there). I can disagree ideologically with Conservatives but am gro

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Grayski said:

It’s the double standards and hypocrisy of the Dominic Cummings Barnard Castle jaunt that got me. 

Are you saying that you changed your behaviour because of the DC visit?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bubba said:

To an extent I agree. However, I dont see how much different it would have been whoever was PM. Follow the science, dont follow the science. Lock down early, dont lock down early. Get kids back to school, dont get kids back to school.

Whichever turn the government had made, there would have been good and bad consequences and it really is a position in which there is no winner.

You mention Spains 14.5k daily infection rate from last Friday. The highest we had at the height of the 1st wave was half that. OK, we may surpass that with the 2nd wave. But it just shows how much of a difficult beast it is to tackle.

I look at Boris on one hand and Nicola on the other .. cant say either is any better than the other..

This government has been a disgrace throughout. The term shambolic is generous. Not two weeks ago BoJo and his willing lapdog Gove were out there - against scientific advice - telling everyone to get back to work, the country needs you, etc., etc. Today both have changed it back to 'work from home if you can' - this type of reactionary Trump-esque government, driven by ideology and rhetoric is the worst kind of government you can have at a time like this.

The economy, business and Joe Public need certainty right now. And this government has provided none of it. The science hasn't changed from day to day, the goal is still to contain the virus until a vaccine comes along. A balance has to be struck between public health and the economy, and sadly, this government has got it very, very wrong.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

This government has been a disgrace throughout. The term shambolic is generous. Not two weeks ago BoJo and his willing lapdog Gove were out there - against scientific advice - telling everyone to get back to work, the country needs you, etc., etc. Today both have changed it back to 'work from home if you can' - this type of reactionary Trump-esque government, driven by ideology and rhetoric is the worst kind of government you can have at a time like this.

The economy, business and Joe Public need certainty right now. And this government has provided none of it. The science hasn't changed from day to day, the goal is still to contain the virus until a vaccine comes along. A balance has to be struck between public health and the economy, and sadly, this government has got it very, very wrong.

I think they have messed up but I hope your not suggesting anyone else would have done better in the same situation? 

Just now, Greggs said:

I think they have messed up but I hope your not suggesting anyone else would have done better in the same situation? 

Of course others would have done better, and if you don't believe that then you're suggesting BoJo's response has been the best possible response that a UK government was capable of providing, which is absolute nonsense. They've stumbled from one idiotic decision to the next, even cancelling the daily press briefings so as to avoid scrutiny, all because Cummings got caught with his pants down.

• Like 1

On the football side of it, certainly sounds like we are down the sh*tpan.

The only solution of sorts is to play behind closed doors and stream matches through a paid service. Potentially with shortfalls being covered somehow by the FA/government or whoever (though how they would agree what each club gets, I've no idea).

I'll be buggered if the National League are any help at all in finding a solution so there's little hope.

Just now, Greggs said:

I'm suggesting your probably a typical labour right that was looking for any excuse from the start. 

Anyone that thinks Jeremy Corbyn would have done any better needs there head examining. 

So you think BoJo has done a better job than what Corbyn would have done? Why didn't you say that in the first place without insulting me? I actually agree with you. But that's not what you said.

1 minute ago, Hoddie said:

Of course others would have done better, and if you don't believe that then you're suggesting BoJo's response has been the best possible response that a UK government was capable of providing, which is absolute nonsense. They've stumbled from one idiotic decision to the next, even cancelling the daily press briefings so as to avoid scrutiny, all because Cummings got caught with his pants down.

I started off by thinking they were doing 'okay', and probably about as well as anyone else would have if not better.

Now onto thinking a four year old aided by a gorilla and one of the teletubbies could be doing a better job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, greg45 said:

I started off by thinking they were doing 'okay', and probably about as well as anyone else would have if not better.

Now onto thinking a four year old aided by a gorilla and one of the teletubbies could be doing a better job.

I'm exactly the same. I thought that they were initially acting based on what little was known about the virus, and with an eye on what happened elsewhere, albeit it a little later than they could have done. Since then they've increasingly pushed the science to one side while at the same time misusing parliamentary procedure and ignoring their own rules and guidelines as it suits them. There's very little about BoJo that is statesmanlike in the way he likes to think - I doubt very many currently have any faith in what he says, if only because he changes his mind every few days.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

I'm not one to gloat, but, bloody hell they are tories! What did anyone expect? They couldn't run a piss up in a brewery, never have been able to.

As ever a comment that does absolutely nothing to add to the discussion.

I'm glad you aren't gloating, as not sure there is reet much for anyone to gloat about at the minute. Unless you are the political equivalent of our 'fans' that want us to get beaten when they don't like the manager.

Edited by greg45
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, 154 Hopper Avenue said:

I can disagree ideologically with Conservatives but am grown up to recognise that some of them are competent and thoughtful individuals.

I am afraid the HoC is utterly devoid of competent MPs. I dont doubt there are some thoughtful, genuine and decent MPs but you would struggle to find many that have a good mixture of experience along with the positive characteristics mentioned. 

Robert Peston has tweeted that Johnson is going to announce compulsory face masks for all staff and customers in pubs and restaurants except for when eating or drinking! Take a sip and readjust your mask! 

I wear a mask wherever I go and It doesn't bother me as I'm wary of catching the virus and do it for myself and others peace of mind. But I do think this is a daft rule that could be announced. 

2 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I'm no big fan of him or conservative policies and yeah you're right that whoever is in charge would get dogs abuse and couldn't win. I also acknowledge this is a bloody mental time to be living in and nothing has been like this in any of our lifetimes and so ill give hom some slack there, but he doesn't do himself many favours by going on holiday every few weeks, hiding away and not attending 4 or 5 emergency COBRA meetings. Allegedly moaning he can't afford a nanny whilst on  £150,000 a year because he can't keep his dick in his trousers (god only knows how he manages to father so many kids for such an ugly sod) 

He needs to resign and let one of his other mates take charge because he's on the drink too and not fit for purpose. I'd even have Priti Patel take up the reinew just to get rid of him. She'd do a lot more. 

Be careful what you wish for......

4 hours ago, Bubba said:

Be strict, the government will get slaughtered. Go for herd immunity and the government will get slaughtered.

There is no answer; no right or wrong. You can take examples of how other countries have tackled the pandemic but each country is unique in a way with regards demographics, etc.

Possibly the only answer is to find a safe vaccine asap.

The only answer is an effective vaccine, no country has mastered this virus so to expect our government to come up with cast iron solutions is a nonsense, we are in unchartered waters. To be fair attending footers was always going to be a hope rather than a certainty.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

The only answer is an effective vaccine

It's not the only solution.  Over time the methods for treating the more serious cases are improving. Even if not completely effective there will be some herd immunity developing.

There is a balancing act between too many factors, protecting the most vunerable whilst allowing the least likely to suffer the worst from it to get on with their lives, they could easily have more to lose from a long period of un(or under)employment. It's here and we have to live with it. An effective vaccine would be fantastic, and the work going on is promising, but we can't wait forever.

Cancelling trials of fans attending games, doesn't help, we'll never get the chance to learn from these and it will put clubs in serious trouble, especially in the middle of the pyramid. We should be one of the better placed ones having been run financially soundly over recent years, plus we can cope with a lower percentage capacity than almost anyone at this level.

3 hours ago, Hoddie said:

and Corbyn/Abbott would have been better!! Really?